Oil Consumption

Started by Anonymous, September 1, 2003, 12:09

Anonymous

I have had the car about 3-4 months and i checked the oil the other day, was warm day but car had been off all night and i had used OVER HALF, the car has done about 3600 miles.

Is this normal?

Tem

According to Toyota up to 1l/1000km is normal.

The MIN-MAX difference is about 1l and 1000km is about 600 miles...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I hear that this is fairly normal in our car, however mine hasn't used a single drop in over 20,000 miles!  (Obviously with oil changes in between, but no oil consumption between changes.)

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"According to Toyota up to 1l/1000km is normal.

The MIN-MAX difference is about 1l and 1000km is about 600 miles...

That's mildly amusing when their service interval is 10000miles!  I for one haven't a clue how to put more oil in my car.

Slacey

In 17000 miles mine hasn't used any either.
Oh, and Phil - the oil filler is on the right hand side of the plasticd cover, convieniently (:roll:) below the strut brace!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"the oil filler is on the right hand side of the plasticd cover

I'm pretty sure mine is on the left hand side  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"In 17000 miles mine hasn't used any either.
Oh, and Phil - the oil filler is on the right hand side of the plasticd cover, convieniently (:roll:) below the strut brace!

ummm, left facing the engine!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Yeah, noticed that... and realised it might be a tad tricky to access... but what's stopped me is that I hear it's really really bad to overfill on oil, and I can't see any obvious way to know whether I've put too much in or not.

Tem

HA! I was faster  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anyway, the manual does tell you to check the oil level everytime you fill up...so Toyota can blame you, if you say you haven't checked them regularly.

Slacey

Well, I.... er.... was looking at it from the drivers seat...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

You can't see it from the drivers seat  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Yeah, yeah, alright, so maybe I was a little hasty and got it wrong  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

wow, what a lovely clean engine bay that is... that guy must look after his car... *waits for jokes about curbs and wheels.....!*   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Just teasing you  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

[Moved to Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting]

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"wow, what a lovely clean engine bay that is... that guy must look after his car...

How often do you clean that..? And with what..?

I'm getting tired of cleaning mine, cause after a week of driving it looks like it has been sitting in sandstorms in Sahara for a year...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"How often do you clean that..? And with what..?

how often... when i can remember! (or im board at home!) and with what... nothing special really!

I give it a wipe over once i have cleaned the car (every couple of weeks if im lazy)... that way the engine bay is wet and had a lot of dirt already removed from the normal car clean. Then if im feeling really board i put some vinal shine stuff (cant remember the name exactly) on the black plastic bits to make them shine and protect them. leave it to dry and job done!   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"put some vinal shine stuff on the black plastic bits to make them shine and protect them.

I tried that...but afterwards I couldn't see the plastic bits from all the dust/sand on them  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

the stuff i use aint sticky like most of them, it just cleans & protects them. I will get the name for you later, but i have not seen it in the shops.

guess it also helps there is not that much sand where i live!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"guess it also helps there is not that much sand where i live!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I don't drive on sand either  s:) :) s:)  But there's plenty of dust/sand on tarmac over here...I guess that's the penalty for dry summers.

Would be great if you got the name of that stuff!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Would be great if you got the name of that stuff!

will PM you it later... oh and as an added bonus, it smells like bubblegum from when you were a kid!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(sorry for the post hijack!)

filcee

I'm not correcting the location - that's been done elsewhere.

I bought a large orange funnel with a long flexible pipe attached to fill mine up after a near disastrous incident with the top-up oil in the early days.  Cost me about a fiver from Halfords, if I recall.  Funnily enough, since I bought that neither of my cars has used a drop, though I think the first one used about 1/2litre before it's first service, then none at all.  The new one seems OK so far, although it's due a check 1st thing tomorrow before I hoof down to Edgware for the rest of the week.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

You should really be checking your oil more than every couple of months !

Unless you check regularly, how do you know it was full to start with ? (please don't say you trust the dealer to have checked it)

New engines often use a little oil as they are bedding in, mine used about half a litre in the first 1000 miles then settled down, now it hardly uses a drop (20k just coming up to 3 years old), I have topped it up about 3 times since, never more than about 250ml a time.

Oil consumption is not a big deal (ask a Ferrari owner), if you check your oil every couple of weeks and add when needed, it is a change in oil consumption which is normally a sign of a problem.

The 1Litre/1000km is obviously just pi$$ taking in the owners manual so Toyota can wriggle out of engine wear problems which don't stop the car running, but cause high oil consumption - if your engine was using this much oil it would either be leaking like a sieve, or would be burning so much oil it would knacker the catalytic converters in about a week, and would fail just about any emissions regs since about 1980  :-) :-) :-)

James.

Anonymous

Lots of help on how to put oil in... but how do I know how much oil to put in?  Don't want to frazzle the cats by over-filling.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Lots of help on how to put oil in... but how do I know how much oil to put in?  Don't want to frazzle the cats by over-filling.

Thats why you do it bit by bit... you put some in, leave it and then check the dipstick... then add some more and do the same till its filled up.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: