addtionnal gauge cover

Started by dreambackup, December 13, 2005, 17:39

dreambackup

has anyone installed additional gauges (turbo boost, oil pressure, oil temp, etc) with the (expensive) TRD accessory?

I was thinking about getting it but I can't find any detailed picture...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Slacey

Oooh, not seen that before. I won't be buying one but how much are they?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dreambackup

list price from TRD is around €200  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  (without the gauges  s:? :? s:?  )
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

LeeUK

Ohhh that could be handy with the 2zz  s:) :) s:)  .  A little expesive though, I'd be interested if anywhere else sold it cheaper.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

LeeUK

It's £589 for the pod, and 3 guages (oil temp, pressure and water temp) with also the harnesses and control unit.  Alot of money but very bling.

I want one now.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

I have that one...I'm not sure if I like it or not  s:? :? s:?  It's a bit bulky and doesn't look like it belongs there, unlike most TRD stuff that could be mistaken for stock items. It's fiberglass, which was just painted black and doesn't match the dash  s:? :? s:?  The sides don't even line up with the pit sides and I guess they didn't even try to, cause it comes with some paddings that you're supposed to install there. The hole for the knob was too small, had to enlargen it myself to make it fit in the first place and it won't close properly unless I take some off from the upside, but then I'd need to repaint it  s:? :? s:?  Or alternatively from the whole underside, which would make the sides fit even worse.

Overall, I think I'd just get the navpod if I was buying one now. This is just too expensive for what it is...I thought it would be the perfect quality like other TRD items  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dreambackup

Tem, could you post some detailed pictures of that thing, please?

Tem

Quote from: "dreambackup"Tem, could you post some detailed pictures of that thing, please?

Sure thing, I'll post them later tonight/tomorrow when I get home  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

LeeUK

It looks good in the pics, aparts from when you showed the underside, that is shocking!  It maybe a good idea to take a fiberglass mould of it, Quite a few people would be interested.....ME!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"It looks good in the pics, aparts from when you showed the underside, that is shocking!

My thoughts exactly, it looked great in the pics I saw before buying it  s:? :? s:?

I added pics 12-14, which maybe show better what I mean. It looks like someone just slammed some generic aftermarket pod on the lid  s:? :? s:?

QuoteIt maybe a good idea to take a fiberglass mould of it

I've been thinking about that, for myself that is. To make it fit better and somehow making it smoother, something like the stock gauge cover. If you look at pic12, I think it would look a lot better if it went down to meet the end of the cover, having similar angle to the stock gauge cover, not as steep as it's now.

(of course I wouldn't mind making copies of the modified or stock one, if there's interest)

dreambackup

if you decide to make copies, I would be interested too (depending on the price difference, of course)  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "dreambackup"if you decide to make copies, I would be interested too (depending on the price difference, of course)  s8) 8) s8)

That would be very cheap to make, like £10 for a rough copy, which you'd have to sand and paint yourself  s8) 8) s8)  Sanding is pretty time consuming and VERY boring, so I'd rather not do that many times  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Sanding is pretty time consuming and VERY boring, so I'd rather not do that many times  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ah but Tem, it'd keep you warm on those long winter nights  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "Tem"Sanding is pretty time consuming and VERY boring, so I'd rather not do that many times  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ah but Tem, it'd keep you warm on those long winter nights  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'd rather keep warm with other methods  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I'd rather keep warm with other methods  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (drifting a little, I know) I thought for most Finns that just meant drinking huge amounts of alcohol?  s;) ;) s;)

FWIW, I quite like that guage pod (just staying at least vaguely on topic here) - I'd take a copy, too.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

dreambackup

I'm not sure... Aaron, would you volunteer for that?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "dreambackup"I'm not sure... Aaron, would you volunteer for that?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"I thought for most Finns that just meant drinking huge amounts of alcohol?  s;) ;) s;)

I think I'll have to moderate myself soon, but we only drink huge amounts during midsummer festival, the rest is normal  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

LeeUK

Smirnoff Brrrrrrr.....  Tem the rough shape would be all that I need, with the fiberglass built up enough so it would not break in the post.  Not a problem for me to finish it off.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

so.simple

If you go ahead with that, I'll buy one as well.   s:D :D s:D
Carlos

LeeUK

I have just found this: bargain, but would be hard to see as they would be mounted below the stereo.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp?Type=3_Gauge_Panel&Series=DIN_White&Cart=1
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"I have just found this: bargain, but would be hard to see as they would be mounted below the stereo.

Surely you can swap the stereo to the lower slot and put this above it?

Still not the best place, but should be ok for gauges that you don't have to monitor constantly.

LeeUK

I have a flip up screen in my car, i wouldn't see the dials.  I think the dash mount looks best for the 2.  With defi-link BF meters.  Bling mc bling.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

philster_d

Looks good from this angle  

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "LeeUK"It looks good in the pics, aparts from when you showed the underside, that is shocking!

My thoughts exactly, it looked great in the pics I saw before buying it  s:? :? s:?

I added pics 12-14, which maybe show better what I mean. It looks like someone just slammed some generic aftermarket pod on the lid  s:? :? s:?

QuoteIt maybe a good idea to take a fiberglass mould of it

I've been thinking about that, for myself that is. To make it fit better and somehow making it smoother, something like the stock gauge cover. If you look at pic12, I think it would look a lot better if it went down to meet the end of the cover, having similar angle to the stock gauge cover, not as steep as it's now.

(of course I wouldn't mind making copies of the modified or stock one, if there's interest)

Hmm so what about making a version you glue together with the existing lid then you could keep the finish at the underside (and the opening arm) and maybe have a better chance with the "flushing" process too.

Philster.

Tags: