idle problems

Started by Anonymous, September 3, 2003, 17:04

Anonymous

my '2 idles at 500 rpm is this normal  s:?: :?: s:?:  
as my other cars i had tends to idle at around 900 rpm (just under the 1k mark)

is there a way of upping the revs or do i have to book it in?

Anonymous

is it happly reving at this range or dose it soud like it's miss fireing?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"is it happly reving at this range or dose it soud like it's miss fireing?

it happly reving ( i think) but the car  shaks very slighty (like on a bus but not as bad)
how do u tell if it miss fireing?

but if i put my foot on the gas and keep it at 900 rpm it seems to be more happyer then at 500 rpm

Anonymous

Well the eaiset way to tell if it is misfireing is performance as it would be down on power.

Altho if this is ok the car is new so im sure it is still beding in and will return back to around 800 rpm

Slacey

Mine drops to around the 500 mark and runs rough on the odd occasion (happened today, actually), but the guys on SC reckon it's normal and nothing to worry about. If it happens all the time, I'd perhaps get it checked, but resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes is the easiest way) may fix the problem.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"but resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes is the easiest way) may fix the problem.

good idea i'll go and see to it now.....

Slacey

Any better after the reset?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Any better after the reset?

have'n got round to re connecting it back yet and it getting a little dark out side so i'll finish it off  in the mornning

Anonymous

Let us know how you get one with this. Mine can run a little slow very occasionally at idle and with the slight possible problem of the power flat spot I have, I am wondering if they are connected somehow.....

Interesting......I await your reply......

mph

FYI the rev counter isn't accurate down at that level - you'd need an OBD diagnostic to read actual values. Back to the plot, with modern engines running in closed loop and a heavy flywheel, there's no reason why they can't idle that low.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

nope still the same idleing at 500 rpm

the thing is mineis a 2000 j-spec and was idleing like this since i got it (about 2month now)
therefor as Buster said about losseing up, i'm not too sure

Slacey

Probably worth getting it dealer checked then...   s:? :? s:?

spyderman

Quote from: "duongs"nope still the same idleing at 500 rpm

the thing is mineis a 2000 j-spec and was idleing like this since i got it (about 2month now)
therefor as Buster said about losseing up, i'm not too sure

i owned a solar J-Spec 2000 MRS, and i had the same problem. Now i do own a silver 2000 MRS with the same problem again. I checked both cars and no problem found, so i guess its normal    s:? :? s:?
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

Anonymous

Doesn't the vvti mess around with the idle speed to improve fuel consumption????

Tags: