Need New disks and breaks?? HOW MUCH ! !

Started by Anonymous, January 3, 2006, 16:37

Anonymous

I had taken my car into Toyota last week, to identify a problem, and while they where at it; MrT told me that I need new front disks and pads. (Every time I take a car into a dealer they tell me the same thing) they quoted £250 supplied and fitted and £190 Parts only   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

i scouted here to look at what prices seemed sensible for new disks and pads, came across a great site ( motor sports world) they didn't state the price for the disks, but pads where £25 for both wheels.

Rang them up to get the price for the disks, and they where £27 for both. Plus £10 postage. So that's more like £60 for parts not £190??? And it doesn't take a genius to fit pads and disks (or does it??)

The last time a dealer told me i need new pads and disks, I changed them myself and it turned out that the disks where fine and the pads had 60% of life left in them. is this a common thing for dealers to do?

Anonymous

Makes me glad I got Mr T to change them before I bought my MR2   s:D :D s:D

proeliator2001

I'd think it is fairly common for non franchise dealers but I'd also have thought the risk of such cowboy tactics could be enough to lose the franchise which must be worth a lot more than a few brake discs.  Should be an easy job to measure the thickness of the discs (though I don't know what the wear limit is   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).  Either way, 60 quid plus a couple hours work isn't bad for safety is it.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

i'm obviously going to get it done, but my point was, how can MrT charge £140 more for the same thing?

mrsmr2

Similar thing here.  Was quoted £128 for fitting new pads.

I got the pads from ebay for £20 (inc postage).

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

richbay

does anyone have the number for motor sports world ? seems cheap to me, and i need some

Anonymous

Quote from: "richbay"does anyone have the number for motor sports world ? seems cheap to me, and i need some

01357 529291

Once u'v rang them up, could you just confirm that i heard right, cos i can't believe it either. They are EBC Pads and Disks (Standard ones)

Anonymous

Just ordered a set of front disks and pads for £59 delivered.

edward.carter

changing discs and pads is easy even i could do it, done it on my last couple of cars   s:D :D s:D

richbay

yes so have i now, seems very cheap, but i did check it was for a 2001 car, and for a pair of discs, inc the pads and they are ebc..... strange, so lets see what gets delivered.....................

Anonymous

I've changed disks and pads as well in the past, but with the '2 chances are all the bolts will be siezed and/or rusted to hell and back.

so we'll have to wait and see.

edward.carter

haha yeh prob... good luck

philster_d

My front right is making a scraping noise usualy when i just start driving (under braking).

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"My front right is making a scraping noise usualy when i just start driving (under braking).

Mines been doing that aswell, especially if i'v left it a couple of days. not sure if it's worn, or if it's just build up?

philster_d

Yeah or is my handbrake not releasing properly maybe ?

Tem

Quote from: "philster_d"My front right is making a scraping noise

Quote from: "philster_d"is my handbrake not releasing properly

I can't see how handbrake could affect the fronts..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

philster_d

ah ok thought it might be 4 wheel.

proeliator2001

Quote from: "extremeMR2"Just ordered a set of front disks and pads for £59 delivered.

I've paid more than that for a set of front pads   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Very good price.  I just wish EBC would release some Redstuff for the '2 instead of just their green variety.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

richbay

i have a feeling from the online invoice its only one disc and a set of pads for that price......see below

Qty Part No  Details Quoted Delivery  Net VAT
1 D1087  EBC Discs - Standard - Front  1-2 working days  £23.60 £4.13
1 DP1295  EBC Kevlar Pads - Front  1-2 working days  £18.37 £3.21

even though the chap assured me its two discs

Anonymous

Quote from: "richbay"i have a feeling from the online invoice its only one disc and a set of pads for that price......see below

Qty Part No  Details Quoted Delivery  Net VAT
1 D1087  EBC Discs - Standard - Front  1-2 working days  £23.60 £4.13
1 DP1295  EBC Kevlar Pads - Front  1-2 working days  £18.37 £3.21

even though the chap assured me its two discs

Come on, Have a little Faith

Quote from: "Motorsportworld website"3. All brake discs are priced as pairs.
4. All brake pads are priced as a full axle set - ie a full set either for the front or for the rear.

They are not stupid enough to sell you one disk and four pads now are you, esspecialy if you order over the phone,

Who do you think they are MrT???   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

edward.carter

Quote from: "proeliator2001"
Quote from: "extremeMR2"Just ordered a set of front disks and pads for £59 delivered.

I've paid more than that for a set of front pads   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Very good price.  I just wish EBC would release some Redstuff for the '2 instead of just their green variety.

used to have greenstuff on old car naff when cold but my god when those pads were warm never felt anything like it!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I've paid more than that for a set of front pads   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Very good price.  I just wish EBC would release some Redstuff for the '2 instead of just their green variety.

Does the new Redstuff compound actually work when cold? If not then I'm not sure you'd get them hot enough on our car unless you were on track..

*remembers scary moment with cold greenstuff pads*  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I used to be a fan of EBC pads, but these days I think there are much better options - things like Porterfield RS4's, for a start.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

edward.carter

i remeber when i first put my greenstuff on and not knowin what they were like from cold coming up to a T junction and nearly didnt stop in time very scary but apprently the new compounds (version 4 i think there up to now) have better cold start

philster_d

I had Pagid fast road pads front and Kevlar rears on the Tubby.

Anonymous

ARRIVED TODAY ! ! !   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Four Pads and two disks, what a bargain.

Tags: