Yokohama A539

Started by Anonymous, January 4, 2006, 01:07

Anonymous

I've got these on the rear of my spyder and they grip a LOT! I mean a lot!! =p
I didn't had loads of time with a stock spyde, but I've pushed it hard when I drove it (talking about the toyota's MR2 test drive I did a few months ago) and I have plenty of experience with other various cars, so it's not the fact that it's a MR and has more grip at turns exits, it really really grips! exept in the water.. my god its freghtning in the wet! a minimum input of the gas pedal (not that minimum, but if you push it a bit hard  s;) ;) s;)  ) on the wet there it goes sliding away.. My car right now is a bit weird... I have toyo's proxes T-1S on the front and those yoko A539 on the rear. On the dry the rear really must be provoked to slide and the front loves to slide if I push it at the wrong time (loads of extra grip on the rear from the yokos) on the wet is the other way around but even more.. the toyo's are really good on the wet but the yoko's just slide and slide.. it's weird..
anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these tires just to give their opinion on them against the stock tires and any other tires that you've driven on the spyder?

heathstimpson

As many have posted previously you should never mix tyres on a 2 as your asking for trouble,  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

mph

LOL! That's the first time I've ever heard 539s and grip in the same post   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  AFAIC they have no grip what so ever, but do have terrific side walls, hard-wearing rubber and are very progressive. All in all, excellent for sliding around in. With Proxes on the front I'm impressed you ever keep it in a straight line!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

uh? you must be confusing them with some other tires.
They grip like hell!

Liz

I think that you will find most people got rid of their Yokos very quickly for the same reason as Martin stated - scarey in the wet.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

juansolo

They're fun tyres.  Used to run them religiously on the MX5 as they just gooned.  Tyre walls are good but not as stiff as Neovas which will get your tyre fitter swearing at you when it comes to fittage.  They are very progressive at the expense of grip.  They are fine tyres for messing about with and they're not too bad in the wet as long as you behave.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

I used to have yoko a539's on my 106 rallye. Quite alot of the rallye fraternity swore by them, but many others hated them.

Personally I thought they offered superb and very progressive grip in the dry. They were great and very hard wearing on the few trackdays I attended with them on.
Didn't use them much in the wet but their performance in the damp was often maligned.

I was seriously considering getting some for the mr2 until my little slide last week on a greasy road which makes me more inclined to get a wet biased tyre now.

Oh and they were quite cheap £38 from mytyres

Anonymous

I'm buying and trying these tyres in about a week.
I'll post my thinkings then.
Untill now I've tried (and have been extremelly happy) Michelin Pilot Exalto II.

Tags: