Unichip tuning in the North West

Started by Two's Company, January 5, 2006, 08:49

Two's Company

I know this has been mentioned before but I can't find any posts by people who have had this done.  I'm looking to get the chip tuned in the north west, has anyone had this done?

I was going to go to Millways due their experience with the 2 but the thought of a 400 mile round trip and a day off work to get it done has put me off.  

Would also be useful if they opened on Saturday?

Cheers

Anonymous

I'm trying a company called Aldon Automotive in Brierley Hill, West Midlands who are only about 75mins away from you and who do work on saturday mornings.
I'm due to have my unichip installed/mapped this saturday morning, so I will let you know how it goes.
Although I think I'm the first MR2 mk3 they've seen  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

spit

Steve,

Looks like Aldon could be the nearest. I was talking to Chris at Hypersports in Leigh and he doesn't know of any reputable (Unichip!) mappers close to us. Hard to believe there's no-one on the M62 belt who deals with this  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Russ has the unichip install, but IIRC his was pre-mapped  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  He might have more info though?

Ste
ps Happy New Year matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

rmowbray

Hi,

Have you tried:
RC Developments, Warrington    w www.rcdevelopments.co.uk w
Performance Heaven, Stockport    w www.performanceheaven.com w

Not sure if either of these have specific knowledge of the Unichip but they might be worth a call.

Two's Company

Quote from: "spit"Steve,

Looks like Aldon could be the nearest. I was talking to Chris at Hypersports in Leigh and he doesn't know of any reputable (Unichip!) mappers close to us. Hard to believe there's no-one on the M62 belt who deals with this  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Russ has the unichip install, but IIRC his was pre-mapped  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  He might have more info though?

Ste
ps Happy New Year matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ste,

Happy New year to you too.

I contacted Unichip a while ago and they sent me details of somewhere in stockport, it looks like I deleted his email   s:? :? s:?   and the contact page doesn't work on their website so I'll have to ring them.

David, hope all goes well on Saturday, glad they can get some practice on the '2 before I take mine there!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I would prefer a place who has tuned the '2 before as I don't want to have to pay to get it done again if they mess it up!

Cheers

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"I would prefer a place who has tuned the '2 before as I don't want to have to pay to get it done again if they mess it up!Cheers

What are you trying to do, worry me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Two's Company

I'm sure they know what they are doing, as your engine is N/A I can't see how tuning it would be any different to tuning any N/A engine.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve

spit

Quote from: "Two's Company"I contacted Unichip a while ago and they sent me details of somewhere in stockport, it looks like I deleted his email   s:? :? s:?   and the contact page doesn't work on their website so I'll have to ring them.

Doh, of course   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Soz Steve I must've been having a dumb moment!

Ric Wood in Davenport does Unichip, and he has a whole page devoted to it on his website! Contact him on 0161 483 4810
http://www.ricwood.com/
http://www.ricwood.com/unichip.htm
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

Cheers for the replies lads.

Two's Company

Just found this list of Unichip tuners on another forum, should be handy for people in the future.   s8) 8) s8)  

UK DEALERS

Storm Engineering (Distributor)
FIFE
++ 44 (0)1383 411511
 e www.stormengineering.co.uk w

Jim King Autotune
Aberdeenshire
01467 622202
?

Powertune
Cheshire
0151 423 5295
?

WGT Motorsport
Cheshire
01606 48866
?

Teeside Motor Factors
Cleveland
01642 232222

Westward Engineering
Co. Meath, Dublin
++ 353 (0)405 41622
 e Info@theenginetuner.co.uk e
 w www.theenginetuner.co.uk w

Torque Developments
Essex
0208 591 0552
 e Info@powerstation.org.uk e
 w www.powerstation.org.uk w

Southern Carburettors
Greater London
0208 540 2723
?

Ric Wood Tuning
Greater Manchester
0161 483 4810
?

Millway Sport
Hampshire
01264 336344
 e Sales@regal-auto.co.uk e
 w www.regal-auto.co.uk w

Ray West Tuning
Hampshire
01264 773839
?

Bengry Motors
Herefordshire
01568 612337
?

BD Engineering
Kent
01795 843980
?

Bexley Motorsport
Kent
0208 304 9797
 e www.bmsport.com w

A1 Fuel Services
Lancashire
01942 261 600
?

Corton-Miller Performance
Lincolnshire
01754 820341
 e Daveguil@aol.com e

Autopoint
Norfolk
01842 766226
 e www.Autopoint.co.uk w

Clive Atthowe Tuning
Norfolk
01603 702400
?

Dennis Vessey Repairs
North Lincolnshire
01652 688904
 e Mark@owendev.fsnet.co.uk e

Tim Stiles Racing
Somerset
01278 453036
?

R & P Woods
Tyne & Wear
0191 281 0748
 e Aldon@yesit.co.uk e

Kepston Motorsport
West Midlands
01922 743133
?

Griffin Motorsport
Wiltshire
01793 771802
?

Well Lane Turbo Centre
Yorkshire
01924 441364
?

Two's Company

Quote from: "DavidM"I'm trying a company called Aldon Automotive in Brierley Hill, West Midlands who are only about 75mins away from you and who do work on saturday mornings.
I'm due to have my unichip installed/mapped this saturday morning, so I will let you know how it goes.

David, did you get it done?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"
Quote from: "DavidM"I'm trying a company called Aldon Automotive in Brierley Hill, West Midlands who are only about 75mins away from you and who do work on saturday mornings.

David, did you get it done?

Yes, just got back.
Everything went okay but took the best part of 5 hours to install/map.
Not been able to give it a full test as it's snowing here  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  But initial reaction is that the pick up seems a lot quicker.
Will get print-out scanned in on Monday.

Two's Company

Quote from: "DavidM"Yes, just got back.
Everything went okay but took the best part of 5 hours to install/map.
Not been able to give it a full test as it's snowing here  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  But initial reaction is that the pick up seems a lot quicker.
Will get print-out scanned in on Monday.

Wow, I thought it was only meant to take 2 hours! What was the max BHP and torque?   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Aldon installed the Unichip and then mapped it all for £140+vat on a saturday.  
It was definately their first mk3 MR2.
I'm assuming nearly 5 hours as I dropped my 2 off at 9am and I was quite sure this was the only job they were doing this morning, got back at 12.45pm and they were "just finishing off". Eventually got away around 2pm.
Readings were:
Max BHP 146 @ 6338rpm and Peak Torque 139lbft @ 2750rpm
Here is the print-out:

Overall I'm pleased with the improved torque all across the range, but a little disappointed in the BHP figure, I was hoping to get closer to Liz's 153bhp.
As I said earlier due to the snow and very wet conditions I have not really had chance to see the difference.
Although I have already found that the pick up happens instantly and the acceleration feels far more aggressive.
Hopefully on the next dry day I'll be able to really see the difference  s8) 8) s8)

Two's Company

It looks like you have gains all through the range which is what you want !   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"It looks like you have gains all through the range which is what you want !   s:D :D s:D

Yes, but you always want more  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Two's Company

Quote from: "DavidM"Yes, but you always want more  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

So would you still go to Aldon if you were doing it again?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Peter Wright

Your dyno looks a lot different to mine

Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Two's Company

What fuel were your chips tuned on?

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Two's Company"What fuel were your chips tuned on?
Optimax. But I forgot to clean the MAF before tuning
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"What fuel were your chips tuned on?

Roughly 25% 95 Ron and 75% Optimax.

Quote from: "Peter Wright"Your dyno looks a lot different to mine

Peter
Am I reading your printout correctly? You had 2 different vehicles tested a Honda and your 2  s:?: :?: s:?:  
If I am there is not a great difference in the figures, just the graph calibration.

Roughly a comparison between yours, Liz's and mine

.................Peter.......Liz.......David.....Peter...Liz.....David
..................bhp........bhp.......bhp.......tor......tor......tor
2500rpm........58.........68........66.......120.....139.....126
4000rpm......103........107......103.......133.....141.....134
5000rpm......126........129......126.......131.....133.....131
6000rpm......145........150......145.......127.....127.....126

So overall not as different as the 2 print-outs suggest at first glance.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"
Quote from: "DavidM"Yes, but you always want more  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

So would you still go to Aldon if you were doing it again?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yes, they are very nice people.

Two's Company

Just got back from Millways after a very long day and 450 mile round trip   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

First off, they are a great bunch of guys.  Hedley knows his stuff and even made me a brew when I got there   s:D :D s:D  

On the dyno run before the chip was fitted he said it felt strong and i was shocked when it peaked at 157 bhp - must have been a spike!   s:? :? s:?  

After fitting the Unichip and tuning it maxed out at 146 bhp - i must admit I was a bit disappointed with this.  The gains on the the print out don't look anywhere near as good as everyone elses, I will scan it in at work on Monday.  Hedley said he was disappointed with the small increases but decided it was because it was so strong stock.

Driving back I could definitely feel the difference    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   - it now accelerates in 6th which is a 1st!  

I've added my figures to Davids chart and they are very similar to the other results.

.................Peter.......Liz.......David....Steve....Peter...Liz.....David....Steve
..................bhp........bhp.......bhp........bhp.....tor......tor......tor.........tor
2500rpm........58.........68........66.........65.......120.....139.....126......136
4000rpm......103........107......103........105......133.....141.....134......138
5000rpm......126........129......126........126......131.....133.....131......131
6000rpm......145........150......145........143......127.....127.....126......124

Overall, I'm very pleased   s:D :D s:D  

Steve

Anonymous

The main thing you'll find is the improved mid range makes a big difference on the road and the engine will feel a lot more responsive. I wouldn't worry too much about max BHP figures as  in the real world they're less relevant. Anyway, what other mods are you running?

Two's Company

Quote from: "RUSTY"The main thing you'll find is the improved mid range makes a big difference on the road and the engine will feel a lot more responsive. I wouldn't worry too much about max BHP figures as  in the real world they're less relevant. Anyway, what other mods are you running?

Definitely a lot more responsive as I found out on the M6 Toll   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Mods list looks very similar to yours mate;

TRD filter, no pre cats, H&S Inlet, TTE exhaust, corky, waiting for TRD front strut (lost in postal system   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ), mongos, clear bama, T1-Rs.

Ste has kindly volunteered to organise a North West meet soon   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   See you there!   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: