Extended warrenty

Started by Anonymous, September 9, 2003, 09:01

Anonymous

My warrenty runs out in december and i was wondering whats peoples opinions are on taking the extended warrenty out??

ive took extended warrenty out in the past with another car and basically the warrenty seemed to cover hardly any of my problems.

after being on the toyota website their extended warrenty seems to be quite good but then again they are trying to sell it on.

Has anyone had experience with the extended warrenty offered??

the price on the website is £385 for a 12month extension.

cheers

Alan

Anonymous

The original warranty on my silver 2000 runs out this November, so last service I bought the extra 2 years for £540 - this does include Club Toyota membership (and the RAC recovery) which is worth about £110 and also includes MOT insurance, which is normally a scam, but might cover a catalytic converter which is my normal worst case scenario for MOT.

I checked the leaflet briefly, and it certainly gives the impression it covers everything the factory warranty covered, but I assumed everything is actuallty pro-rated based on proportion of servicable life left, so the warranty would only pay a proportion of costs for repairs depending on the item - but don't know this for certain.

The info on  w www.toyota.co.uk w  After Care -> Current Owners -> Extended warranty claims:

"A Toyota warranty is an extension of the original warranty on your new or used vehicle. If a part covered by the warranty suffers electrical or mechanical failure, we'll fix it., It's as simple as that ..."

As for 'covered by warranty' it says:
"Toyota extended warranties offer equivalent cover to the manufacturer's warranty, including all of the main components of your vehicle (with the exception of batteries, corrosion of exhaust and damage or wear and tear to interior trim).  ...  and what's not
Some items that need replacing as part of the routine servicing and maintenance of your vehicle, or gradually deteriorate with time and mileage are not covered by your warranty. Such as brake pads, oil filters, spark plugs and tyres. "

Clearly these are examples, and I doubt you can easily get a complete list, so they may well exclude other consumables like suspension arms, gearboxes, yada yada yada  s:-( :-( s:-(

Also on MOT cover:

"In the unlikely event your vehicle fails its MOT test, a Toyota warranty will protect you against unexpected repair bills. As long as the vehicle is repaired and then passes, your warranty will pay for repairs or replacement of covered parts, up to the vehicle's purchase price. All you have to pay is the original MOT test fee and the first £10 of any repair costs covered by the Toyota warranty."

Blimey, someone shoot me - I sound like a bloody warranty salesman  s:-( :-( s:-(

I guess no-one is going to have much experience of the extended warrantys on the mk3, but maybe someone has claimed on an extended warranty for another Toyota vehicle - the extended warranty seems to be across all their cars purely by engine size with an option with or without milage limits - price difference was so small (£40) it wasn't worth taking the milage limit, even though I would probably have been under it.

darrenjuggins

Extended Warranty - I've discussed taking this out as my warranty work has so far reeached about £3,500 in the three years i've owned the car.

£540 should see me though to when I intend to change the car, so seems a pretty good investment, I have been assured that it is a continuation of the first 3 year warranty and will be very disappointed otherwise.

Main concerns for me are Cats, Gearbox issues and A/C unit failure, all of which will be costly items to replace.

I've piad £17,000 for the car, £540 is a little price to pay for piece of mind for another 2 years.......

Maybe toyota, will go the same way as Hyundi have and warranty them for the expected ownership length of 100,000 or 5 years..... (we can hope for next time!)

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Comer

Does anyone know whether euro imports are allowed to have their warranty extended?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Slacey

As far as I am aware Comer, they are - I am certainly considering this when my 3 years is nearly up. Toyota consider their warranty to be global, any car at ay dealer, so I can't see why not. Unless you find out first, I will check it out.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Comer

Quote from: "Slacey"As far as I am aware Comer, they are - I am certainly considering this when my 3 years is nearly up. Toyota consider their warranty to be global, any car at ay dealer, so I can't see why not. Unless you find out first, I will check it out.

Cheers Sean.  I have another year and a half to go but it will be handy to know.  My dealer isn't the greatest so a second opinion would be good.
Michael

darrenjuggins

Hi can confirm my Roadster is from Belgium and there is not a problem in extending the warranty.

Cheer

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Slacey

Question answered, cheers Darren   s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Comer

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hi can confirm my Roadster is from Belgium and there is not a problem in extending the warranty.

Cheer

Mr J

Thanks for confirming that Darren.  My import is from Denmark so I'll get mine extended nearer the time.
Michael

Tags: