whining noise from front

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2006, 19:14

Anonymous

Hi, I took my car back to the garage to be looked at under warranty as it has a constant whining noise coming from the front. They told me its not making a noise and sent me on my way, I'm really worried as my warranty runs out in two weeks time.
My boyfriend agrees with me that it never made that noise when I got the car and that it is getting worse!
Any ideas what it could be, and what I could do about the garage not wanting to know  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Thanks
Gem

aaronjb

Does it go away if you move the steering wheel off center a little? Or is it happening when you're driving?

If it's whining when the steering wheel is centered and stops if you move it (stops briefly, before starting again) then it's the power steering pump.

Some peoples whine a little and don't seem to get any worse (like mine), some peoples get worse and eventually fail (I think a new one is some £900 or something ridiculous, secondhand £200-300 I'd guess).

As for the garage.. not sure what to suggest there aside from taking it back and standing your ground really, sorry.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Ditto what Aaron said, I took mine to Mr T and asked about the noise and to be honest they said that it was normal, my pump went about 3 months after that....just after my aftermarket extended warranty had expired, managed to get a pump with a contact from Adam for £150 and £50 for a local garage to fit it, I was quote nearly £1000 from Mr T to fix it,.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I have just checked it and it doesnt stop when I turn the wheel. I'm really worried about it now, would it be best to take it to Mr T and get checked over?  s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Quote from: "MR2 Gem"I have just checked it and it doesnt stop when I turn the wheel. I'm really worried about it now, would it be best to take it to Mr T and get checked over?  s:? :? s:?
Yes, if only for a diagnosis of the problem. Then come back here for more advice!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Ahem, I have a used power steering pump for sale
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9561 m
Bought it on Ebay when my pump got noisy as 'Insurance' in case the worse happened. 50 quid delivered if you want it.

Tags: