ECU

Started by peppyuk, February 14, 2006, 15:03

peppyuk

ECU
Does the post '03 car have a different ECU than the pre '03 model?

I ask as I bought a unichip from a fellow member from this site and when I met him he removed it from his car (to show it working) and showed me where it plugs in, but having just picked my older car up and having a look it looks to be different. If they are different will it still plug in and work as it should?

TIA

Pep
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Jap GT300

ECU Plugs are the same.  There is an ECU revision but this wont effect you.

Did the Unichip harness also go with you purchase?

peppyuk

Yes, have the harness with it, just wanting to know I wouldn't fry any thing when I hook it up, Thanks for the info.

spit

Quote from: "peppyuk"....showed me where it plugs in, but having just picked my older car up and having a look it looks to be different.....

The difference you may have seen on the newer car, peppy, is the security plate that covers the ECU and partially covers the harness plugs. Older cars (and the MR-S) don't have this. So at least you won't have to worry about removing it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

And yes, plug configurations and wiring are the same across the range for Unichip purposes.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

to remove the security plate on a post facelift car you need a T27 security torx bit, pre facelift has a flat blade screwdriver bit
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

peppyuk

Thanks for the help folks, only done about 30-40 miles and the engine light is on, so it's going back to Mr T. So the Unichip fitting has been put on hold till it's sorted   s:( :( s:(

peppyuk

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "peppyuk"....showed me where it plugs in, but having just picked my older car up and having a look it looks to be different.....

The difference you may have seen on the newer car, peppy, is the security plate that covers the ECU and partially covers the harness plugs. Older cars (and the MR-S) don't have this. So at least you won't have to worry about removing it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

And yes, plug configurations and wiring are the same across the range for Unichip purposes.

I have a '00 X plate car and there is a black metal cover over the bottom half of the ECU, which is held on with some very odd looking screws, thought they were torx at first but on closer inpection found there something else, similar to torx but different enough for torx not to fit  s:( :( s:(

SimonC_Here

They are the security ones like Stu said. Pre-facelift one had them as well.

Personally, I dremmled a slot in the screw head and took it off that way. I don't need no stinking metal plate!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Simon

roger

I bought the proper bits!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "roger"I bought the proper bits!

Each to their own I suppose   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon

peppyuk

Where from and how much?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "peppyuk"

Where from and how much?
I was getting Security Torx sets through my old mans garage. Unfortunately he has retired along with his Snap On supplier so I can no longer get them  s:? :? s:?  I have also left my plate off  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Two's Company

Where from and how much?

Can them from here

m http://www.asttools.co.uk/product_searc ... t1142.html m

Cost around £10 plus VAT and delivery.

peppyuk

I got torx bits but the screws arn't torx, looks like I'll be cutting them off at the weekend.

peppyuk

Quote from: "Two's Company"

Where from and how much?

Can them from here

Thats looks better, cheers.  s:D :D s:D

roger

Nice to see all settled in my absence......Simon!

BTW if anybody can find / remember the exact size, they can be bought singly for about £2.50 from tooled-up.com
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Two's Company"

Where from and how much?

Can them from here

That's a good price; slightly cheaper than I could get a set for  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "peppyuk"I got torx bits but the screws arn't torx, looks like I'll be cutting them off at the weekend.
They are securtity Torx bits i.e. Torx with a pin in the middle so the bits need a hole to match  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Two's Company

Thanks to GSB for the link   s:D :D s:D   Unfortunately every time I have phoned to order some I get through to an answer machine   s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "peppyuk"I got torx bits but the screws arn't torx, looks like I'll be cutting them off at the weekend.
They are securtity Torx bits i.e. Torx with a pin in the middle so the bits need a hole to match  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

yep they are, star shaped screw head with the security pin in the middle

like this
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

go to this link and type in EXR.127 into the search on the left, it'll give you a nice piccy of the screwdriver bit and shape, these BTW are orderable from Halfrauds
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Two's Company

Stu, my local Halfrauds said they couldn't order it for me. (not sure if they meant can't be arsed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Two's Company"Stu, my local Halfrauds said they couldn't order it for me. (not sure if they meant can't be arsed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

sure my local one does Halfrauds, i'll add it to the list of things to check  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

GSB

For reference, and to ease confusion:

"Torx" screws have a 6 pointed star.

"Security Torx" have a 6 pointed star, with a pin in the middle that prevents use of a normal torx screw.

"Torx Plus" is a re-designed version of Torx, with only 5 points in the star, and the ability to handle greater torque. These are generally only sold to OEM's.

"Torx Plus Security" are 5 pointed stars with a centre pin. The tools and screws for these are ONLY sold to licenced OEM's, and are not supposed to be sold to the public. These are the screws fitted to the ECU covers on ALL UK sourced MR2's, pre & post facelift. This is the additional mod that Toyota GB carry out to the cars at port to gain Thatcham 1 certification. Euro imports, and grey imports from Japan and other territories, do not have this cover fitted.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "GSB"These are the screws fitted to the ECU covers on ALL UK sourced MR2's, pre & post facelift.

Sorry Grant but thats wrong, Liz's 2 for instance had a flat blade screwdriver bit on it and mine has a 6 pointed security Torx screw
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: