ECU

Started by peppyuk, February 14, 2006, 15:03

peppyuk

I was under the impression that 6 pointed screw without the pin was just a star drive, and a torx had the pin, but the screws on the car are 5 point stars with pins.... which will be getting cut off at the weekend..

Why do we need so many different types of screw? If toyota use them to stop the likes of us removing them there wasting there money, and wasting our time and money! The only people with any gain is the folks that make the tools as we all need 10 different screw drivers where one should be enough!
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

kanujunkie

Quote from: "peppyuk"I was under the impression that 6 pointed screw without the pin was just a star drive, and a torx had the pin, but the screws on the car are 5 point stars with pins.... which will be getting cut off at the weekend..

Why do we need so many different types of screw? If toyota use them to stop the likes of us removing them there wasting there money, and wasting our time and money! The only people with any gain is the folks that make the tools as we all need 10 different screw drivers where one should be enough!

great so thats 3 types of screws on them  s:? :? s:?  

one quick answer to it, Dremel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

philster_d

I removed the torx "gamebits" from my gamecube without the special screw driver. This is how....

I heated the end of a biro until it melted then pushed it onto the screw and let it cool there.

It dries into a perfect match then you can twist away. Might be worth a try before cutting anything.

Phil
Ps heres some picks if it helps...

GSB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "GSB"These are the screws fitted to the ECU covers on ALL UK sourced MR2's, pre & post facelift.

Sorry Grant but thats wrong, Liz's 2 for instance had a flat blade screwdriver bit on it and mine has a 6 pointed security Torx screw

No its not...  Trust me... Liz's car had flat headed screws in there, because I put them there. She' didn't have the correct tools for removing the cover again, so I replaced them with something a litle easier when I installed her Unichip. Your car is another story, It may be that for some reason your ECU has been out in the past, and the Dealer responsible didn't have the correct screws to put back in once he's lunched the original ones (not an uncommon occurance, according to the Toyota Tech I spoke to), so you have the ordinary 6 point security torx. But of the other 20+ Unichips I sorted in the Group Buy, none had 6 pointed bolts. That would have been far to simple...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "GSB"These are the screws fitted to the ECU covers on ALL UK sourced MR2's, pre & post facelift.

Sorry Grant but thats wrong, Liz's 2 for instance had a flat blade screwdriver bit on it and mine has a 6 pointed security Torx screw

No its not...  Trust me... Liz's car had flat headed screws in there, because I put them there. She' didn't have the correct tools for removing the cover again, so I replaced them with something a litle easier when I installed her Unichip. Your car is another story, It may be that for some reason your ECU has been out in the past, and the Dealer responsible didn't have the correct screws to put back in once he's lunched the original ones (not an uncommon occurance, according to the Toyota Tech I spoke to), so you have the ordinary 6 point security torx. But of the other 20+ Unichips I sorted in the Group Buy, none had 6 pointed bolts. That would have been far to simple...
Can confirm that mine were Torx Plus security ones along with about a dozen others that I sourced a set of bits for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: