Started by aaronjb, February 15, 2006, 23:15

aaronjb

Quote from: "MR2man"200bhp? how do they cope with the body roll at high speeds and the ability to change lanes on the motorway whilst keeping the steering wheel straight?

I have major issues with the handling on this car at high speeds, can anyone help? Stabilizers, there appear to be some stock ones on the car anyway? There must be a solution,  any ideas????

I would say that if you are experiencing handling that feels dangerous or worrying, something is very broken..

As an example - bodyroll, that's me, taking a 90 degree left hand hairpin at probably 40mph.. it felt safe, controlled, and while there was some roll the car stayed totally planted and would only skip out if I wanted it to (or entered the corner at silly speeds).

We're perhaps drifting OT, but:

What wheels are you running? I notice it's 17's - same width all round, or staggered as per the stock setup?

Are you running stock suspension - what age, how many miles? Shocks tend to die quite quickly on these cars (circa 50,000m is not unheard of) so perhaps the shocks are dead..

There are many folks here (and in the US) running 200bhp and over (hell, there's one out there with a reputed 400+bhp) and nobody has reported any handling problems, aside from it being a little tail happy if you're too eager with the go pedal in the wet..

[edit] Photo thanks to Mark Nias [/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Or there's always this, which definately puts function ahead of form  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
(linked rather than pictured in case of copyright)
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwrmr2_s.html

Quote from: "MR2man"200bhp? how do they cope with the body roll at high speeds and the ability to change lanes on the motorway whilst keeping the steering wheel straight?
Can't speak for others, but after this morning's scare on the motorway I can confirm that mine doesn't cope at all  s:? :? s:?  

Quote from: "MR2man"I have major issues with the handling on this car at high speeds, can anyone help? Stabilizers, there appear to be some stock ones on the car anyway? There must be a solution,  any ideas????

I'm with you all the way on this point matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  There are member and strut bracing options available that I'm sure will help tighten things up. I'm on a '99 with high mileage and bog standard apart from turbo and corky plate, so perhaps my shocks are stuffed too.

.... you've worried me now Aaron - maybe something's broken  s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit".... you've worried me now Aaron - maybe something's broken  s:? :? s:?

If your idea of high miles and mine are the same, it's likely just your shocks being a bit worse for wear..

Of course, your idea of dangerous handling and mine could also be very different  s:) :) s:)  Hard to say..

Are you coming to Anglesea? You could always take one/all of us out for a spin so we can give opinions (or lend me your keys.. mwahAhAHaHAHAh.. *ahem* I mean.. *coughs*)

s:) :) s:)

Honestly, I think (certainly in stock form) the Mk3 handling is pretty docile.. OK, add another 60bhp+ and it'll get a bit livelier for sure, but I wouldn't have thought dangerous.. (If I had £3k I'd find out for myself, for sure  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

[OT hijack]
Quote from: "aaronjb"Are you coming to Anglesea? You could always take one/all of us out for a spin so we can give opinions (or lend me your keys.. mwahAhAHaHAHAh.. *ahem* I mean.. *coughs*)
Anyone who can offer some insight is welcome to have a drive Aaron - I'm just not clued up on what to look for when it comes to the springy bits and high speed lollopiness (is that a word?). I haven't signed up for Anglesey cos I don't have the confidence/skill to blat around, but I'll call you next time I'm passing Slough.
[/OT hijack - sorry]

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Anyone who can offer some insight is welcome to have a drive Aaron - I'm just not clued up on what to look for when it comes to the springy bits and high speed lollopiness (is that a word?). I haven't signed up for Anglesey cos I don't have the confidence/skill to blat around, but I'll call you next time I'm passing Slough.

(Good point, we'll stop hijacking the post now  s:) :) s:) )

You should sign up - honestly, it's the absolute best way of increasing your confidence, I guarantee it  s:) :) s:)  (And it's fantastic fun)

Anyway - feel free to call in if/when you're passing  s:) :) s:)

And now, we return to your scheduled programming..

spit

Here y'go  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Quote from: "spit"Or there's always this, which definately puts function ahead of form  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
(linked rather than pictured in case of copyright)
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwrmr2_s.html
Not quite what you're looking for MR2man, but its another unique solution, and good if you can't decide what size tips to go for!

Tem

I think we've been over this high speed handling issue several times...or was it at SC...anyway, it is an issue for some. Even with proper tyre pressures, alignment, shocks...

Mine went away with the Sportivo and Stage1 bodykit. Firmer ride and less air under the car.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

There are lots of twin centre exhausts available.  Ricoh, Zees etc..

Check out euroroadster.co.uk

spit

Do you mean http://www.euroroadster.com Adam?

Well remembered Tem......http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9641
I didn't consider air travel under the car....and come to think of it, its only since install that things have gone noticeably worse. It probably doesn't help that my engine is twisting around more and there's a girt big scoop behind the back wheels  s:? :? s:?  Cue the Rat clearance test.....

MR2man - from the article & what Tem and Aaron have said (a pair of wise Gentlemen  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  ) it looks like there is no easy answer.

Tyres, bracing, airflow and suspension wear - presumably steering wear too - all play a part.

I wonder if there's an easy way to canvass '2 owners to try and prioritise this list? It would certainly help the substantial number of us with problems.

markiii

Ste, how old is your 2?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Quote from: "markiii"Ste, how old is your 2?
Yes, its a likely factor for me Mark! 1999 MR-S with 70,000 miles, so looking for worn parts is where I should start before investing in bracing? It passed the (*ahem*) MOT 2 weeks ago though  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

As mentioned earlier, I'd appreciate if one of you gurus in the know could have a look at it for me.

markiii

if it's a 99 I'll tell you several bits that will be missing

1. look under the bumper, there should be a rubber airdam that runs most of teh width of the bumper. it's about an inch thick and sits about 6-8 inches under teh car

2. Bet you don't have the plastic spats that sit in front of teh rear wheels?

3. Might not have teh plastic spats that sit in front of teh front wheels?

thess were added sometime before 2001 and weren't even on my 2001 car

cost is very low to fit them, and they transformed my highspeed handling
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Thanks for re-threading this guys. MR2man did raise the handling issue but I'm mindful that the drift from Exhaust discussion was getting a bit much.

I'll have a ferret under the car at lunchtime Mark, thanks.

....but I do know I've got the front spats - wondered what they were for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Not sure about the rears and the bumper bits though

markiii

it's too difuse the airflow at high speed around the tyres and prevent, nose and lift.

I have part numbers and costs somewhere if you need them.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"1. look under the bumper, there should be a rubber airdam that runs most of the width of the bumper. it's about an inch thick and sits about 6-8 inches under the car

I think I'm missing this one...do you have a pic of it?

Quote2. Bet you don't have the plastic spats that sit in front of the rear wheels?

Don't have these either, so please do give the part numbers.  s8) 8) s8)

markiii

rubber front splitter   76851-17070 (03 part number but fits ALL years) approx £7 from memory
nuts for above   90179-06286
bolts for above   90119-06827

Rear Wheel Spats   58741-17020   58742-17020

from memory teh most expensive bits are teh nuts and bolts

Tem

Thanks!  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "markiii"1. look under the bumper, there should be a rubber airdam that runs most of the width of the bumper. it's about an inch thick and sits about 6-8 inches under the car

I just reread that. Since the TRD Stage 1 lip is the width of the bumper and about an inch lower, would this even fit with it? Nor make any difference on top of that.
(come to think of it, it must fit, cause the bodykit fits to cars with this without removing it, right?)

That would surely explain why the bodykit made a difference.  s8) 8) s8)

markiii

it should do bearing in mind where it's located,

if someone can host I'll take some pics tonight for you.

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"if someone can host I'll take some pics tonight for you.

That would be great, thanks.

You can upload them here:
 m http://imageshack.us/ m

philster_d

Im certainly feeling the gustyness of it at the moment at high speeds and the motorway can be fairly blustery anyway in some places.

Phil

spit

Very true Phil, although I'm getting this lifting feeling at m'way speed in any weather.

Mark - had a mooch round an '05 at MrTs and sure enough I'm splitter and rear wheel extension protector-less (that's officially what they're called!)

Prices are a bit more than I was hoping.....ex VAT....

Front Rubber Splitter: £25.62
Bolts: £0.52 each   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Nuts: £2.08 each   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  (part no 90179-06185)

RH rear extension: £15.73
LH rear extension: £12.16
Tapping screws: £0.29 each
Bracket: £1.78 each
(this goes behind the plastic liner to receive the tapping screws - part number 58747-17020)

Thats about £84 inc VAT.

Just occurred to me - I've got my pre-lift bodykit sitting here waiting to go on - looking at the profile of the front and side skirts, they may do an equivalent job. It looks like the splitter would be redundant with a front skirt and the rear spats would have to come off anyway to fit the side skirts.

I was gonna flog the bodykit 'cos I quite like the current lines with coloured mudflaps, but is it worth a punt before getting the plastics?

Ste

markiii

hmm prices were more than I anticipated.

front splitter is still going to have an effect, the rear wheel spats might or might not have to come off for the bodykit might be worth asking someome who has it?

guys?

nust and bolts are nothing special, I ordered them for simplicity but you can source them anywhere.

might be worth speaking to Adam, he might have these bits lying around from a breaker, shouldn't imagine there is much demand for them.

rmowbray

Ste,

MrT always charge silly money for nuts & bolts! I think they must work on an approximate cost for any fixing of £1.

If you find out what size they are I'll let you have some from my stock, I bought a load of stainless fixings a while back and am gradually replacing the standard ones on the underside as and when I take them out.

Rich

ghollis_84

Markiii you have me worried now, I have a 99 MR-S and at high speeds the only thing that i have trouble with it tramlining, crossing them is a nightmare. I have a TRD Stage 1 body Kit on it, i am not sure if this makes any difference.

Cheers
Grant
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Tem

Quote from: "ghollis_84"I have a TRD Stage 1 body Kit on it, i am not sure if this makes any difference.

It does, a big one.

Tags: