Started by aaronjb, February 15, 2006, 23:15

Anonymous

Thanks Guys,

I take on board what you say re shocks and there could be something in that, as the car has just done a little over 60k.

However, it was bought from a guy who got it from a dealer, had all the stamps in the book, the guy did no mods and obviously thrash it about. He was squeeky clean as is the car.

Its just at motorway speeds, I get the feeling that the car is almost being tripped up by something. drift and twitchyness are commonplace, Is that just as it is a convertable?

It sticks to the road like you suggest at around 40-60mph but out on the motorway it just feels really unsafe and you feel you are getting blown about to much?

Whats the best way to check the shocks???

Anonymous

oh yea, and I am still running the stock wheels with correct tyre config. I have some 18" split rims of my old car that fit the hubs, but are clearly to big. Has anyone ever put 18" rims on???? and survived????

Anonymous

If the tyres are worn the car will have a greater tendancy to mtramline but it will wander about a bit anyway on the Motorway if its windy as thew car is so light. Remember it's about the same weight as a Peugeot 106

aaronjb

Quote from: "MR2man"oh yea, and I am still running the stock wheels with correct tyre config. I have some 18" split rims of my old car that fit the hubs, but are clearly to big. Has anyone ever put 18" rims on???? and survived????

Someone did IIRC.. but most folks here will tell you not to, as it'll just hurt performance (and lets face it, it's not the most overpowered car in the world to start off with  s;) ;) s;) )..

Back to the tramlining - these cars are quite prone to that with certain types of tyre.. which tyres are you running? I found that the stock Bridgestones (certainly when worn) were hideous for tramlining, with the Toyo's being far more forgiving (though it can get hairy in huge ruts on parts of the M25).

I also found that the car was much better behaved after a full alignment - even though it was barely out of spec, the difference before & after was huge. Well worth getting a four wheel laser alignment carried out by a reputable place (whereabouts are you? someone nearby might be able to recommend somewhere good).

I gave my car a good blat on the way home tonight - and even though I was coming down some wide winding single & dual carriageways (between Chertsey & Thorpe Park, and the A308 between Staines & Old Windsor) at, erm.. well y'know, I wasn't hanging around - the car felt totally planted and didn't drift around at all (and at one point there's a 30degree sharpish left hander that you can take at ~90ish  s;) ;) s;) )..

Shocks - hard things to test, you just have to have a feel for when they're gone or not really (the bounce test, on a car this light, isn't that great) - whereabouts are you? maybe someone can take you out in theirs & vice versa so you can get a feel for it  s:) :) s:)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

Rogue has 18's or maybe even 19's   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I know he said he couldnt easily jack up the car without the wheels ripping of the body kit in paces where its snug around the bottom of the wheels. He was interested to see if the teins were a bit stronger to hold them.

Phil

ghollis_84

Thanx Aaron, I am hopefully getting a set of Stock post 03's in a couple of weeks with goodyear eagle F1's on so that should help on the tramlining, as for the shocks i hope they are fine as the car has only done 37k for a 99.

I am in Letchworth, the place i normally get my alignment is SCS tyre place in hitchin, but havnt been back after one of the pikies stole my phone. Can anyone recomend anywhere near.

Cheers
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

markiii

theres a good place in old Stevenage, begins with an L but can't remember it's name.

it will be on here somewhere as reccomended by Comer
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ghollis_84

I work in Stevenage, the only two places i can think of in Stevenage old town is Bob's tyres and SCS. I will have a look around for that post.

Cheers Markiii
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Anonymous

Thanks for posts guys

Tyres are pretty much new and have a large amount of life left in them. They are Firestones which I think are pretty good to be honest.

I live in sunny devon near Exeter so if anyone with a "2" can compare notes on this, give me a shout.

Wind factor I have already taken into consideration and that is only partially the problem, there is deffinitely something else which isnt quite right. Will take it for a laser alignment soon and see if that helps.

The issue only arises at high motorway speeds! 70+

markiii

Firestone? euuh

seriously budget tyres
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: