FL headlights

Started by CrazySX, April 28, 2015, 21:01

CrazySX

Has anybody given these the oven treatment and blacked the insides? I have seen plenty of PFL ones, but not FL.

If you have pics would be great! Thinking of doing mine. HIDs and sidelight LEDs are in the post, as are the halo foglights, thinking i should take the headlights out to do this, and while there stick em in the oven for a bit  s;) ;) s;)

Gazbills

In the process of doing mine but my lenses are shot so waiting on getting a better set to transplant the lens across.
2ZZ-GE converted 03, black, TRD bodykit + scoops, hardtop, Meister R coilovers,  TTE exhaust with sports cat, Apexi PFC + TTE style bar & Rota Subzero 16\'s

CrazySX

Quote from: "Gazbills"

In the process of doing mine but my lenses are shot so waiting on getting a better set to transplant the lens across.
No issues putting it in the oven then? Or getting it apart?

What have you done with the ugly yellow indicator? I was thinking about hitting it with some black tint spray. But then again don't want it to look boy racer. Would be good if we could get clear covers and stick a yellow bulb in.

CrazySX

As for the cover, stick it back on, bolt it to the car and get some compound and a mop. Will soon be brand new again  s;) ;) s;)

Gazbills

Used a heat gun to split. Really easy, just be patient with it and make sure you remove the screws. Yellow indicator cover unscrews. Going to fit a chrome T20 bulb instead. Tried everything on my lenses to no avail. Sanded them, plastic X, TCut and P1 polish. Nothing is improving them.
2ZZ-GE converted 03, black, TRD bodykit + scoops, hardtop, Meister R coilovers,  TTE exhaust with sports cat, Apexi PFC + TTE style bar & Rota Subzero 16\'s

CrazySX

Quote from: "Gazbills"Used a heat gun to split. Really easy, just be patient with it and make sure you remove the screws. Yellow indicator cover unscrews. Going to fit a chrome T20 bulb instead. Tried everything on my lenses to no avail. Sanded them, plastic X, TCut and P1 polish. Nothing is improving them.

aha! never thought about using a heat gun.  must be a slightly slower and more delicate process with a heat gun?

What paint did you use?  i am thinking of using high temp paint.  Did you also rub down the silver bits before painting?  I am thinking of using a scourer.

As for the cloudy headlight, is it OK on the inside?  also did you use a DA Mop on it or do it by hand?  Mine were yellow, and i used a DA polisher, they came out a treat.  Although not crystal, but still good!  

As for the indicator cover, is it not going back on at all then?

CrazySX

actually could you do me a favour and post up a pic of the indicator lens i need to see screw fixings and the diameter, i am going to see if i can find a clear replacement.

Gazbills

No need to source a clear replacement as the diffuser is on the front of the lens. Simply remove the unsightly yellow cover and fit an amber bulb.

CrazySX

Didn't think of it like that. Good call bud! I was thinking about the yellow bulb reflecting on the silver, but the silver will be black lol!

Fin

The silver reflector is at the back of the indicator, and easily masked when you paint the plastics.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Gazbills

Quote from: "Fin"The silver reflector is at the back of the indicator, and easily masked when you paint the plastics.
I wouldnt recommend spraying the reflector behind the bulb as it will make the indicator very dim on bright day. I made this mistake on a previous car and ended up paying £30 on a set of reflector led amber bulbs.

Fin

Sorry, that's what I meant. It's easy to mask off the reflector so you don't get any paint on it when you paint the plastics.
Also, to improve the look slightly more, it's worth hunting out silver t20 bulbs that light up orange  s:D :D s:D  Something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T20-W21W-SILVER-CHROME-CIVIC-TYPE-R-2005-Car-Bulbs-Indicator-Lights-flash-amber-/130747930993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e712f1971

Gets rid of the nasty little orange bit in the corners   s8) 8) s8)  , leaves you with something along these lines:

Admittedly, the colour doesn't show up so well on a blue, and mine are pfl, but the principle is the same.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Gazbills

Lights are finally done and in the car.  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

That looks awesome!!!! Mine should look the same as its also the best colour... black  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

This is on my to do list as well. It always thought the FL lights looked a bit cheap with the silver backing
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: "Gazbills"Lights are finally done and in the car.  s:) :) s:)

Wow, fantastic!

I'm sending you my lights now to do them too!   s:D :D s:D
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

CrazySX

can we please see pics out in the light, with main lights on, side lights on?  Good opportunity to picture whore  s:D :D s:D

Did you upgrade to HID, LED?  I am planning to.

peteyb

I just tinted mine with fly eye  s;) ;) s;)

Gazbills

All stock bulbs at the mo. Got a stash of bulbs somewhere so bound to have some led's and some decent H7 bulbs somewhere. Will get a pick up tomorrow sometime with a daytime shot. Great mod for the sake of £12 for a can of primer and black satin paint from ECP.

CrazySX

defo a great mod, but most people are too scared to do it  s:( :( s:(   it is a bit daunting i suppose and if you are heavy handed, it could go very wrong lol!

Look forward to pics.  Sorry for being so demanding   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Gazbills

Quote from: "CrazySX"defo a great mod, but most people are too scared to do it  s:( :( s:(   it is a bit daunting i suppose and if you are heavy handed, it could go very wrong lol!

Look forward to pics.  Sorry for being so demanding   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Really difficult to damage them to be honest. Opened up a fair few different manufacturer lights now and touch wood, never had any mishaps. Once its heated up the plastic is very pliable. Cleaning them up to reseal is the biggest ballache making sure no dust or pet hair gets in the fitting.

puma2

they do look great in black. i do prefer the per fl lights for that reason they were darker than fl  s:) :) s:)  
does make a big difference in black me thinks

Maverikk

Looking mean, Gazbills. Kudos.

Gazbills

Daytime pics as promised.

Anonymous

Looks great, well done

Tags: