Hand brake too stiff, won’t hold

Started by Maggieroadsterfan, January 18, 2024, 12:46

Maggieroadsterfan

Anyone know how to easily fix handbrake that just won't hold the car even on the flat? Or do I need a garage?
Also heating suddenly stopped working - any ideas?

Carolyn

Handbrake: https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=68798.0

Heater:  Check you coolant level.  If it's low, then check for coolant leaks.  The radiator is usually the culprit.

If you're not a tinkerer, a good local garage is your best bet.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

A stiff handbrake is either rainwater/dirt in the cables of the caliper arm.  You have tto get your hands dirty to find out which.
The rubbers on the cable ends disintegrate & dirt gets inside. They can be saved, but it's time consuming.

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74553.msg897729#msg897729

Maggieroadsterfan

I've just been told both cables and callipers need replacing and you have to take the fuel tank out to do it! Wish I'd sold it last year!

Maggieroadsterfan

Thanks for the heads up on the coolant for the heating - worked a treat and the electric window on passenger side was just locked - silly me! 😂

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Maggieroadsterfan on January 24, 2024, 09:36I've just been told both cables and callipers need replacing and you have to take the fuel tank out to do it! Wish I'd sold it last year!

If the cables move at all they can probably be saved. I did so in 2018 & they're still on the car.  Time consuming though.  The fuel tank doesn't need removed, but lowered a few inches.

The most common coolant problem is the bottom right corner of the radiator as you look at it.   

JB21

Quote from: Maggieroadsterfan on January 24, 2024, 09:36I've just been told both cables and callipers need replacing and you have to take the fuel tank out to do it! Wish I'd sold it last year!

Dont just accept their word. For both calipers and cables needing replacement all at the same time is very unlikely, unless they have been like this for a while.

First thing first the cables need unhooking from the caliper/handbrake mechanism arms and testing to see if they are seized. Then the second thing is to see if when pulling down on the handbrake mechanism arm the piston engages, youll know it engages if the brake disc wont move. The handbrake arm should only move 1-2cm before the piston engages. If the arm goes further with a click and no piston engagement then its the caliper handbrake mechanism that's shot. You are better ordering a reconditioned caliper as fixing the handbrake mech is a nightmare on these.

105e

When i did my h/brake cables i replaced the fuel tank bolts with 4 short lengths of studding and just lowered it down a few inches..

Jared

I've been having this problem as well, previous owner had new calipers replaced but still not holding very well but have not done much about it as car is normal parked on the flat.
Does anyone know a garage in South Wales near Swansea/Neath that would be experienced with MR2 handbrake issues as it just makes sense to take it to someone in the know.

Maggieroadsterfan

Thank you all. Went to the garage today and he showed us the cables which were in a bad state and not able to be saved. He'd ordered 2 new cables but is sending them back cos he's not happy with them and getting some better ones we hope. Think he said "blueprint" hope they're better. Just want it done so I can put it up for auction in March. Hoping to get my money back!

Jared

What's the damage for new cables fitted these days

Carolyn

Was £250 a few years ago, so around £300 now?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Jared

I'm guessing plus the £80 for cables

Maggieroadsterfan

£113 for cables, £240 for rear brake callipers plus labour yesterday!

shnazzle

Quote from: Maggieroadsterfan on January 25, 2024, 13:20Thank you all. Went to the garage today and he showed us the cables which were in a bad state and not able to be saved. He'd ordered 2 new cables but is sending them back cos he's not happy with them and getting some better ones we hope. Think he said "blueprint" hope they're better. Just want it done so I can put it up for auction in March. Hoping to get my money back!
I've got a lot of appreciation for your garage. Actually checking the cables carefully and sending them back for better ones. I've literally never seen that happen

Shame you're getting rid
...neutiquam erro.

Jared

Quote from: Maggieroadsterfan on January 27, 2024, 09:06£113 for cables, £240 for rear brake callipers plus labour yesterday!

Wow that's not cheap

tomato

Just had mine done, got oem cables for around £120, 2 hours labour at £130 to fit new cables. Total £250

Included a full inspection of the car as just bought.

Maggieroadsterfan

That sounds good, enjoy your car!

Tags: