'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine! (Turbo build)

Started by jvanzyl, August 10, 2016, 15:05

J88TEO

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 10, 2024, 13:18Cheers, yeah I don't think it's the arms.. just a bolt.
I have a few sets of bolts for the rear arms.

jvanzyl

Quote from: J88TEO on May 10, 2024, 13:30I have a few sets of bolts for the rear arms.

Hey cheers for the offer- will come back to you for future ones!

jvanzyl

Got the car back from the local garage today - wheels and steering waaaay better.

I intend to email RRR middle of the week to confirm this saturday... if anyone is in the local and wishes to see and observe what actually happens on one of these sessions they are most welcome.

Alex Knight

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 14, 2024, 12:36Got the car back from the local garage today - wheels and steering waaaay better.

I intend to email RRR middle of the week to confirm this saturday... if anyone is in the local and wishes to see and observe what actually happens on one of these sessions they are most welcome.

Last time I had a car mapped (ST205 on a Power FC at Thor racing), I sat there most of the day, with a few status updates now and again. There's really not much for you to do.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Alex Knight on May 17, 2024, 18:11Last time I had a car mapped (ST205 on a Power FC at Thor racing), I sat there most of the day, with a few status updates now and again. There's really not much for you to do.
Fair enough... I'm taking the camper van so I'll have facilities to make some food and I guess!

jvanzyl

Today's update in summary was a SUCCESS!

I got to RRR for about 0730- Greg got there a bit later. Started the initial inspection and we soon discovered that there was some kind of misunderstanding in our communications.

Greg thought I was turning up with a car with a pre installed ecu master black and he was just going to do some tidy up tuning...  :(

BUT in a testament to his work ethic and desire to help, he provided an ecu which is a sort of prototype that is plug and play ( I have to return it for a different one in 2 weeks) and did the mapping on this.

Put the 630 injectors in ( took a couple of goes to ensure no leaks) and got started with idle etc. I made us both sausage, bacon and eggs for brunch and then started in the dyno after lunch.

This is where it got super stressful, that watergate actuator I painstakingly altered to fit the turbo is actually set to 25psi!!  :o So I then set about swapping this for another that I'd brought (that we tested to 10psi and will still need replacing in the future) which was quite painful as everything was so hot, but I managed to get it done.
Play resumed and Greg was happy with the results, surprisingly so. He went through and showed several previous dyno maps that were getting substantially less than he was able to achieve with mine. I do not have any reason for this.

Took it out for a spin, and my word ... I'll need a large safe space to take it past 3.5k.. it's flipping quick.

All in all, I'm exhausted, burned and very dirty but pleased with the results. I've still got more work to do to ensure longevity with everything- but the important thing is it WORKS  ;D

As this is a public forum, Dm me for actual figures.

Gaz2405

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 18, 2024, 21:07Today's update in summary was a SUCCESS!

I got to RRR for about 0730- Greg got there a bit later. Started the initial inspection and we soon discovered that there was some kind of misunderstanding in our communications.

Greg thought I was turning up with a car with a pre installed ecu master black and he was just going to do some tidy up tuning...  :(

BUT in a testament to his work ethic and desire to help, he provided an ecu which is a sort of prototype that is plug and play ( I have to return it for a different one in 2 weeks) and did the mapping on this.

Put the 630 injectors in ( took a couple of goes to ensure no leaks) and got started with idle etc. I made us both sausage, bacon and eggs for brunch and then started in the dyno after lunch.

This is where it got super stressful, that watergate actuator I painstakingly altered to fit the turbo is actually set to 25psi!!  :o So I then set about swapping this for another that I'd brought (that we tested to 10psi and will still need replacing in the future) which was quite painful as everything was so hot, but I managed to get it done.
Play resumed and Greg was happy with the results, surprisingly so. He went through and showed several previous dyno maps that were getting substantially less than he was able to achieve with mine. I do not have any reason for this.

Took it out for a spin, and my word ... I'll need a large safe space to take it past 3.5k.. it's flipping quick.

All in all, I'm exhausted, burned and very dirty but pleased with the results. I've still got more work to do to ensure longevity with everything- but the important thing is it WORKS  ;D

As this is a public forum, Dm me for actual figures.

Great work, glad all your hard work paid off.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Gaz2405 on May 18, 2024, 21:12Great work, glad all your hard work paid off.
Thanks man- btw I'd assumed that I'd be able to pass a mot with the deka 630 injectors, were you able to on yours? 

jvanzyl

To do list:
Sort out bend of charge coolant pipe where it gets thin.
Source new 10psi wastegate actuator
Rework wastegate hose to go direct to turbo
Remove old o2 sensor (x3) wiring and replace with bungs
Refit under trays
Get it through an mot
Work on oil drain leak.. more.
Return current ecu for new one in 2 weeks time.
Buy new tyres (AD08)
Enjoy it

Tags: