190 celica engine

Started by Anonymous, March 9, 2006, 13:56

Anonymous

I know this may have come up before, but I want to know what difference there would be between the TTE turbo kit and swapping the engine with the 190bhp celica version?
Would the performane figs be simialr to the turbo kit? And what sort of price is a 190 engine.
Has anyone done an engine swap  s:?: :?: s:?:

kanujunkie

loads of people have done the swap, more on SC though, try doing a search for 2ZZ-FE OR 2ZZ.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

power will be about teh same

torque on the TTE Turbo willbe way better
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Can you also get a turbo conversion for the 2ZZ-FE engine ?  I had a 190 and they are quick anyway.

aaronjb

There's no off-the-shelf conversion that fits the Roadster that I know of, but it has been done ( m http://www.spyderchat.com m  has more details).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I'll go browsing, thanks.  I was just being lazy he he he
QuoteThere's no off-the-shelf conversion that fits the Roadster that I know of, but it has been done ( m http://www.spyderchat.com m  has more details).

Tem

Quote from: "projectneon"2ZZ-FE

There is no 2ZZ-FE. It's 2ZZ-GE.

(might seem like a small difference, but F&G tell a lot to those who know)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"

sorry thats my fault on a typo above  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  i hit f and not g  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "Tem"

sorry thats my fault on a typo above  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  i hit f and not g  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Somehow I didn't even see it in your post, must've learned to read through your typos  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dreambackup

ask Dieamond about the 2ZZ swap  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I rode the beast and it's a matter of choice. I personnally would go turbo but the noise and the push of that engine feeling like a 1ZZ gone crazy (the same as a well tuned 1ZZ before around 6500 rpms and then...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ).

all I can tell is that it's the good amount of power for a chassis prepared MR-S  s8) 8) s8)  (forget it with a stock car  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "dreambackup"all I can tell is that it's the good amount of power for a chassis prepared MR-S  s8) 8) s8)  (forget it with a stock car  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Damn, now i'm going ot have to spend more money....  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Best Motoring did a touge run (like a track based motokhana) with the 2ZZ and a Toms Turbo-ed MR2. The 2ZZ was a good 0.4-0.5 seconds faster. It wasn't quite a fair test, since the cars had differing suspension setups etc, but the drivers comments was that the 2ZZ was faster compared to the Toms MR2, both around corners, and in straightline acceleration.

Plus there's the advantage thaht you can turbo a 2ZZGE with a baseline of 140kw, compared to turbo a 1ZZFE with a baseline of 100kw, you will get more from the 2ZZ.

Tem

Quote from: "Tiang"Best Motoring did a touge run (like a track based motokhana) with the 2ZZ and a Toms Turbo-ed MR2. The 2ZZ was a good 0.4-0.5 seconds faster. It wasn't quite a fair test, since the cars had differing suspension setups etc, but the drivers comments was that the 2ZZ was faster compared to the Toms MR2, both around corners, and in straightline acceleration.

Those are fun to look at, but I wouldn't take them as any sort of engine comparisons. It's all about handling the corners.

QuotePlus there's the advantage thaht you can turbo a 2ZZGE with a baseline of 140kw, compared to turbo a 1ZZFE with a baseline of 100kw, you will get more from the 2ZZ.

If you're considering turbo, I really don't see the point of going 2ZZ first. The stock 1ZZ seems to be good enough for some 300hp, which is already massive power for such a light car. And if you spend the cost of 2ZZ swap into building a 1ZZ, you can get wicked power out of it.

dreambackup

I agree: save the 2ZZ sway money to improve your 1ZZ internals (even if a couple of 2ZZ turbo run in the US).

I'd say anything above 250hp on a Spyder is too much. after that, the changes to be made (chassis braces, suspensions, brakes, etc, etc...) just aren't cost effective. it'd be better to start with something else (maybe a Speedster turbo).

in any way, this would be a track car, no more a daily driver.
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

LeeUK

For a road car, a turbo will be faster and more cost effective.  For track car when you want to hit the power band instantly exiting the corner (or mid-corner  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) a 2zz would be better.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"For track car when you want to hit the power band instantly exiting the corner (or mid-corner  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) a 2zz would be better.

Are you sure? I thought so myself too...

But now that I have a turbo, it has virtually no lag. It just starts to go when you floor the throttle, pretty much like N/A engine, just with a lot more power. I found it very easy to control, just like it was pre-turbo, except now I can't just floor it all the time like I could with 140hp.

Of course I don't exit corners at 1500rpm on a track, if I'm trying to go fast.  s;) ;) s;)  Then it would take some time to make boost.

LeeUK

I agree, I'm just comparing it to markiii and his hass kit on saturday at Anglesey as me and kanujunkie were as quick (thats when stu managed to stay on the track  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), I'd still say the 2zz may have the edge but depending on the boost of the turbo and how well the turbo is tuned.  My C2 power kit is on the way so I'll be able to coment myself!

Shame I don't have a 2zz to compare it with!   s:( :( s:(
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"I agree, I'm just comparing it to markiii and his hass kit on saturday at Anglesey as me and kanujunkie were as quick (thats when stu managed to stay on the track  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), I'd still say the 2zz may have the edge but depending on the boost of the turbo and how well the turbo is tuned.

You're right, some systems have more lag than others. Just sounded like you were saying all turbos are like that.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Didn't the Hass have just a basic log manifold? I recall seeing some pics of it ages ago, no idea if they changed it though..

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Didn't the Hass have just a basic log manifold? I recall seeing some pics of it ages ago, no idea if they changed it though..

It still is..

One thing to remember, though, is that on track 90% of your times are down to driver skill - that's not to say that Mark et al aren't good drivers, but Lee is quite insane behind the wheel  s;) ;) s;)

I'd take his ability to keep up as being more to do with his driving than outright power or lag, really - just look at the pics of Lee in Events, as he practically has the car on three wheels.. now that's commitment  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"but Lee is quite insane behind the wheel  s;) ;) s;)

but still passable  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

s:P :P s:P

LeeUK

My only excuse it that when turning the "2" into a 3 wheeler it does scrub off some speed exiting the corner  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .

You can always catch Stu at the next corner as he is the one going backwards through the gravel, and Phil's usually in the pits for a telling off!  s:P :P s:P
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "LeeUK"You can always catch Stu at the next corner as he is the one going backwards through the gravel, and Phil's usually in the pits for a telling off!  s:P :P s:P

GIT!

guess i should back off on the throttle sometimes  s:? :? s:?  and also respect cold tyres  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"guess i should back off on the throttle sometimes  s:? :? s:?  and also respect cold tyres  s:? :? s:?

Please don't Stu: Some of the best fun I had all day was sitting as a passenger in your car when you kept spinning! 360's are great fun when you're not driving and it's not your car!  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"guess i should back off on the throttle sometimes  s:? :? s:?  and also respect cold tyres  s:? :? s:?

Please don't Stu: Some of the best fun I had all day was sitting as a passenger in your car when you kept spinning! 360's are great fun when you're not driving and it's not your car!  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

i dont remember spinning at all with you in the car, must be the extra weight that helped  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: