Help...Is my alarm working?

Started by Anonymous, September 25, 2003, 18:07

Anonymous

My '2's a 2001 Irish model.  Now, I'm assuming that the Irish version of the car is no different mechanically to the UK version.  The only noticable difference I've noticed so far is the rear badging.

So, I've read with interest another post here regarding the alarm/immobiliser on the '2.  My problem is this...I've never heard the alarm...ever!  I know in most circumstances that's a good thing!

I've double-locked the car and been able to open it with the non-keyfob spare key and no alarm.  In my (warped I'm sure) thinking the alarm should sound as it is still active.  Is this the case?  Also, the internal perimeter alarm does not go off if I sit in the car witht the alarm armed.  Strange or normal?

Any light you could shed would help me sleep better at night as I'm now thinking my alarm doesn't work at all....never mind my immobiliser!

Anonymous

First thing to do is i guess check that you have an alarm under your spare wheel! I find that i can set my alarm off by tapping my hand on my windscreen. Make sure that there are 2 red lights flashing on your dash. The one on your heater controls is for the immobiliser i think, and the large red one that is on your dash, near your steering wheel is for the alarm.

You can also set the double-lock and then leave the car for about a minute (for the microwave sensor to set)... then reach inside the car and wave your hand around (do with the roof down).

HTH.

Anonymous

Ahh...I've got the red light on the heater controls but no other light on the dash at all.  Guess I'm checking under the wheel next.  Yikes...no alarm sounds bad.

markiii

Irish cars don't get an alarm as standard.

If you didn't ask for it you probably haven;t got one.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I wouldn't stress about it our Alarms are crap and really need the front plastic removed.  It covers up the sound.

Anonymous

QuoteMake sure that there are 2 red lights flashing on your dash. The one on your heater controls is for the immobiliser i think, and the large red one that is on your dash, near your steering wheel is for the alarm.

Other way round Kris   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh and search for alarms i have mentioned before i sugest lazer line but stay clear of toad and clifford !!!!   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"Other way round Kris   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Not like me to question the god of all electronics... but are you sure? the red big light only flashes when the alarm is on, but the small one on the heater control flashes all the time but stops when i put the key in the ignition (so its picked up the transponder signal)....?

Anonymous

they are linked together but it is defintaly the alarm on the heater control as it has to be replaced when upgrading the alarm ( well the loom to it that is) I would prosume that the way the ligths flash when you put the key in the ignition is how the ECU shows the user or mechanic that it reconsies that the imobiliser has been deactuvated. Because you can not have the imobliser working on it's own and as soon as the imboilser has picked up the transponder it will switch the alarm off even if it's not tunred off !

clever old Mr T   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I'm inclined to agree with Kris; having spent a good chunk of the weekend with my head under the dash, the wire to the LED by the steering wheel is very definately an "addon"; it doesn't route through the main looms, and is taped/cabletied on where needed. That would suggest to me that it's the added-at-import (ie not at factory) alarm light. Plus, the one by the heater controls looks very standard; for models without alarms (ie Euro-spec), what would be there instead?

Anonymous

The Alarm manual on Kris's site show the alarm LED as the one by the steering wheel.

Slacey

Quote from: "pmdye"I'm inclined to agree with Kris; having spent a good chunk of the weekend with my head under the dash, the wire to the LED by the steering wheel is very definately an "addon"; it doesn't route through the main looms, and is taped/cabletied on where needed. That would suggest to me that it's the added-at-import (ie not at factory) alarm light. Plus, the one by the heater controls looks very standard; for models without alarms (ie Euro-spec), what would be there instead?
I agree - my Danish import has the little LED by the heater, I always thought that was to show that the immobiliser (which is standard on ALL '2s) was active... I have another LED on the top of the instrument pod which is definately for my sftermarket alarm. The blanking plate next to the steering wheel on mine is just that; there is nothing there.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Hmmmm well as i have an upgraded alarm then maybe when i fitted it the alarm harness gave 3 outputs so i used the imboliser one and the alarm ligth and another output!. So i tracked these down and they ware in the postion i stated before but i could of got them round the wrong way but i dont think so as i did track back the wires

And all the outputs wires for Mr T alarm cpu all come for the main control box so to trace them by just looking udner the dash would be impossible you would ahve to remove the alarm like i did !

Tags: