Help please - Alarm problem!

Started by Anonymous, July 15, 2006, 15:17

Anonymous

I dont know if anyone can help but...
My remote central locking has died on me.  When I press the 'lock' or 'unlock' button nothing happens.  

I can get into the car, but the alarm goes off each time.

I've tried replacing the battery in the key fob, but that hasn;t helped.  My local toyota dealership isnt open till Monday.

Does anyone know of any way to reset/disengage the alarm???

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

is it a UK '2 or imported? also, does the little red light on your key flash? if so then perhaps the key is 'out of sync' with the alarm, i've heard of that happening, can't remember how to reset it though.

I'm guessing the alarm is totally seperate from the ecu, although you could try disconnecting the battery for 20mins to reset the ecu and see what happens, but I'm not sure if it'd work.

Anonymous

uk 2003 - any thoughts?

Anonymous

sorry, was editing the post to try and be a little more helpful!   s:) :) s:)

darrenjuggins

It could be weather conditions ! sounds strange, but I've had this problem a couple of times.

try the alarm after say 8 or 9 pm, when the atmospherics have changed, you may find it just works.

I can't explain it but it's rendered my car useless on a couple of occasions, when i eventually get it drive 400, 500 yards or so, everything is back to normal, strange but true.... give it a go, it costs nothing!

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Thanks Darren, I'll give that a go tonight.

Anonymous

Took it for a spin this afternoon. Found a quiet area and tried the 'unlock' button and it finally worked!

Got back to the house..couldn't get the alarm to switch back on, but for now I am happy its not going off every time I open the door. Wondering whether there could be some form of interference suddenly appeared around my house?

Cheers for your help Darren.

SteveJ

Most likely causes are someone in the area has just got a wireless doorbell (or more likely one has gone wrong and is transmitting all the time) or installed a wireless house alarm system - they both work on the same set of frequencies as car central locking / alarm key fobs.

The culprit is going to be fairly close by - I wouldnt expect the signals to be effective more than about 10 - 20m

Anonymous

Steve - i better start my door-to-door searches then!

Tags: