Design "feature" or bug

Started by Peter Laborne, October 12, 2003, 23:03

Peter Laborne

It's not in my manual, so I was just wondering what happens when you press the lock button on your keyfob (for UK spec) three times.

Mine sets off the alarm.

I have found this very handy and today just summed up how good this feature is. I was over my parents about to enjoy a Sunday roast when my sister came in and said that there were kids (about 10 12-15 year olds)playing football on the road next to my car and there were more looking around it.

I said "watch this" and we all went into a room where we could see my 2 and the kids, but they couldn't see us. I waited until one kid was next to the car and gave the keyfob a nice third press!!!

The area where my parents are is usually quiet and I had lived there for 20-odd years without hearing a car alarm. So when mine went off I went running outside (much to my sisters amusement that it was actually me who set off the alarm) and demanded to know who had set off my alarm. And the effect was added to when loads of neighbours came out of their houses to find out who had set off my car alarm.

The kids moved a few hundred yards further up the road and I enjoyed dinner in peace!!!

A great way of getting rid of unwanted attention, without even needing to be near your car!!!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

so do you finally have your car back on the road then peter?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Mine gives the indicators a long flash and disarms the interior microwave protection.  Yours sounds much more useful.

Slacey

My Toyota key doesn't do this, but there is a panic button on my Cobra fob which has the same effect - and my aftermarket is a lot louder too!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Mine gives the indicators a long flash and disarms the interior microwave protection.  

thats what mine does too.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"My Toyota key doesn't do this, but there is a panic button on my Cobra fob which has the same effect - and my aftermarket is a lot louder too!

Slightly offtopic, but Cobras do rule  s:) :) s:)

Mine's the version that works with the stock key though, so don't have the extra fob with panic button.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "phil4"Mine gives the indicators a long flash and disarms the interior microwave protection.  

thats what mine does too.

same here

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "phil4"Mine gives the indicators a long flash and disarms the interior microwave protection.  Yours sounds much more useful.

What happens if you keep pressing the lock button (4, 5, or 6 times), as most people probably stop after two press'.

If no one else can set off their alarm using the keyfob, then it sounds like I have a very usefull bug.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "phil4"Mine gives the indicators a long flash and disarms the interior microwave protection.  Yours sounds much more useful.

What happens if you keep pressing the lock button (4, 5, or 6 times), as most people probably stop after two press'.

If no one else can set off their alarm using the keyfob, then it sounds like I have a very usefull bug.

Im going out at lunch so will give it a try.

Anonymous

I think I tried 4 on mine, and it just went back to short flashes of the indicator... I don't know what effect that had on the detectors, but 4 didn't sit the alarm off.  Not sure about 5 or 6.

Anonymous

Mine just switches off the interior sensors......

I usually only press twice. Lock, deadlock and sensors all on.....

Anonymous

Mine too!.  Hey peter, add it to your list of bugs   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I will try it a few more times though, as that would be awsome and very funny...I hate pesky kids near the 2

Anonymous

Had a thought, have any of the laws changed yet...I want to electify mine!

SteveJ

I'm guessing the 3rd press occured outside of the 15 second microwave disarm period. This suggests the alarm was triggered by the subsequent indicator flash causing a voltage drop on the power line to the alarm, tripping it.

The most serious thing this would suggest is a dodgy battery.

HTH

Slacey

On a related matter, I bought a replacement battery for my Cobra fob today (it's over a year old now), and replaced it in the shop... to discover a few minutes later that it was no longer synched and wouldn't unlock the car   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
One embarrasing plea to an alarm fitter later, I was away again!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"I'm guessing the 3rd press occured outside of the 15 second microwave disarm period. This suggests the alarm was triggered by the subsequent indicator flash causing a voltage drop on the power line to the alarm, tripping it.

The most serious thing this would suggest is a dodgy battery.

HTH

OMG!  Never fails to amaze me the wealth of info here....sorry peter looks like your battery is knackered now too!

Chris

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"

I seem to recall something in the alram manual that says subsequent presses just arm/disarm the sensors.  Not sure what happens after the initial 15 secs or so...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

i tried it about 8 times and it just kept flashing the indicators....

Tags: