New front speakers, what to do?

Started by Anonymous, August 1, 2006, 16:23

roger

Quote from: "philster_d"Heh

They were delivered today and very sexy looking they are too, susequently I cannot rule anything out at this stage    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Philbert

And mine!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

Quote from: "kanujunkie"guys, do yourself a favour, go listen to a set of Rainbows, never heard anything come close to them and they're cheap as well

m http://www.rainbow-audio.de/ m
 m http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /3977.html m

Are these a direct replacement for the speakers which are already in the lower part of the doors?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Hi Liz,

If they're 6.5", they will fit exactly where the originals are. All you need to do is make an adaptor out of 12mm MDF. If you have a jigsaw and a drill, you can do it. It's really not that hard.

The opening for the tweeter needs to be enlarged very slightly, but that canbe done with a stanley knife and some carful cutting.

loadswine

Liz , they will fit okay,but those speakers are coaxial, ie have the tweeter built into the speaker instead of locating it separately. The existing speakers are of the component type, where you get a woofer and a separate tweeter. Tend to be a bit more expensive.
Rainbows are supposed to be excellent.
I would always say , have a listen to some before buying, but if you want personal recommendations, I have Infinitys in my Altea and they are superb. Rainbows sound great in Stu's car and Focal K series were outstanding in my old 2.
I would look and see what deals can be done on price too, as that is always a factor. Minute details between speakers probably won't matter too much at motorway speeds with the top down.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Do you have to have the adapters? if I got a set of component speakers would they not just fit where the old ones were? Of course with half a tonne of dynamat shoved behind them!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

loadswine

Yes, you will need the adaptors I would think, as there is unlikely to be enough depth behind them to clear the window otherwise. You can buy proprietary ones or make them up out of mdf. You can draw round the old speaker suuround for a template.
The components fit where the old ones did generally, but the tweeter diameter could be different. When i did my Focals, I used a glue gun to mount the tweeters on the outside mount of the original tweeter. Have a look at this little album to see if it helps at all.
 m http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/ ... 0speakers/ m
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

Don't forget Bostons Acoustics; awesome speakers  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"Yes, you will need the adaptors I would think, as there is unlikely to be enough depth behind them to clear the window otherwise. You can buy proprietary ones or make them up out of mdf. You can draw round the old speaker suuround for a template.

I bought the Rainbow CSX265 component speakers and have been very happy with them. The tweeters can be mounted onto the existing brackets.

The original speakers have got a spacer built into them, if you don't mind wrecking the originals then just cut the paper cone away from the edge and then cut the rest of the speaker from the back - instant spacer.

Tags: