Another blown engine?

Started by Tem, October 15, 2003, 16:11

Tem

2/2000 with about 30tkm's

Started to make this clattering sound a while ago, it was barely hearable when I went to complain about it, the car was still under warranty then. After browsing SC maintenance area, I figured it's the belt tensioner. Toyota didn't hear anything, they said every sound they hear is normal and I should keep on driving and pay attention if it gets any louder.

Well, it did get louder...so I went in to complain again...this time the car was out of warranty already. This time they heard it too and thought it's the belt tensioner, which was changed under warranty. Didn't help anything though, the same clattering sound is still there and only keeps getting louder.

The next thing I notice is loss of oil, which also very suddenly turned black. Lost about 0.5l within 50km and it turned from "newlooking" to black. And got a definite loss of power as well. No signs of white cat particles on exhaust, or big white smoke, but everything else matches...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Fingers crossed that it isn't the dreaded... well, you know what I mean, I don't dare say it!   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Tem

Have you been able to pull your O2 sensors to see the pre-cats (although you will need a suitable O2 socket) ?

L

Tem

Quote from: "Lusaka"Have you been able to pull your O2 sensors to see the pre-cats

No, just got the car back today. The first thing I do tomorrow is call Toyota.
(don't have an O2 socket anyway)

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Slacey"Fingers crossed that it isn't the dreaded... well, you know what I mean, I don't dare say it!   s:( :( s:(

Well Sean's jinxed it again. Sorry Teemu, but your engine is stuffed now, as is anyone else who reads Mr Lacey's messages regarding engine problems!!!!

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Slacey"Fingers crossed that it isn't the dreaded... well, you know what I mean, I don't dare say it!   s:( :( s:(

Well Sean's jinxed it again. Sorry Teemu, but your engine is stuffed now, as is anyone else who reads Mr Lacey's messages regarding engine problems!!!!
But I didn't say it, I didn't!!
Yeah, OK - your right, it's screwed now!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

If its a 2/2002 model, how come its out of warranty already?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Ah...my bad, 2/2000 that is. And registered 9/2000.

Anonymous

I too have a noise apparently its the crankshaft told by 1 dealer out of warranty too 1 month so got the warranty extended and added a little more oil in the car just gona have to get it fixed under warranty + its only done 3000 miles after the service from MR T the documents signed by MR T and my self state the car has been inspected and has no mechanical or electrical fault ha ha ha ! should be a laugh.  

Its funny how it happen just after the warranty is over well no way i got it exteneded by the lady at the reciption whom was more intrested me getting toyota insurance and how she saved 30 pounds woooooooooooo peeeeeee i said REALLY WOW sign here seen as uve checked the car and ill speak to u in a months time chaO!

Tem

Precats have turned to dust, main cat is stuck, pistons and cylider walls are scratched and very worn. Piston moves some 2-3mm's inside the cylinder. Also the crankshaft/bearings have marks on them.

Need I say more?  s:? :? s:?

Remember that the noise only recently appeared and it was barely hearable with stereo and heater/blower off. I wouldn't have noticed it, if I didn't recently take the stereo completely off. And the powerloss only appeared just before the engine was opened.

I don't think the parts can wear out that much within the few km's drive after the powerloss appeared (the dealer said it's ok to drive it to them). So anyone who's waiting for obvious signs like powerloss (or cat particles from pipe or big smoke, neither which I didn't get so far) most likely already has a dead engine  s:? :? s:?

...and after reading the posts on SC about some ppl having 3 engines replaced...guess I'll feel like sitting on a time bomb even after this one's fixed...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

doh

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"I went to complain about it, the car was still under warranty

I went in to complain again...this time the car was out of warranty

Just got a call from Toyota and they will replace the engine, manifold, O2 sensors and cat under warranty. *phew*

Anonymous

yep, toyota is pretty good with warranty, especially if it is a known issue

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Tem"I went to complain about it, the car was still under warranty

I went in to complain again...this time the car was out of warranty

Just got a call from Toyota and they will replace the engine, manifold, O2 sensors and cat under warranty. *phew*

Keep an eye on them though - so far all of the engine replacements have been bottom-end only (ie. short-engines) - the top end is being re-used and if there was no oil in it for any length of time there are going to be problems with the hydraulic tappets and the valve timing gear.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"Keep an eye on them though - so far all of the engine replacements have been bottom-end only (ie. short-engines) - the top end is being re-used and if there was no oil in it for any length of time there are going to be problems with the hydraulic tappets and the valve timing gear.

Yeah, I was wondering about that...

Shame that I "have" to put the car on sleep when I get it. I can imagine how easy it will to complain about possible future problems next summer  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "ullujee"...... service from MR T the documents signed by MR T and my self state the car has been inspected and has no mechanical or electrical fault ha ha ha ....

How can they get you to sign that theres no mechanical or electrical faults? After all, you pay them to inspect it so only they can "certify" that  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

It could be a very clever way of making you liable for a law suit in the future. If a fault is found at a later date & he has signed to say nothing is wrong when he infact knew there was, they would have a claim of fraud  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Just a guess but not bad for 07:30am    s:D :D s:D

Tem

Got her back yesterday  s8) 8) s8)

Now anyone got any tips on how to drive the break in period nicely...??

The TRD clutch and flywheel are just screaming "REV ME, ABUSE ME!"  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"Keep an eye on them though - so far all of the engine replacements have been bottom-end only (ie. short-engines) - the top end is being re-used and if there was no oil in it for any length of time there are going to be problems with the hydraulic tappets and the valve timing gear.

Just reread this and you got me worried  s:? :? s:?

Before the engine blew, it used to have "no" power until 2000rpm and then very smooth to some 4krpm, which has the torque peak. Now it feels dead till about 3000rpm, where the engine comes alive and goes smoothly from there...

Also, I got some noise again, sounds like the belt tensioner, but since I've never heard it, I can only guess...I wonder if anyone could download this clip and convert it to normal mpg or something:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8366 m

(I'm not even going to mention that the power steering unit sounds like it's going to die any minute now  s:cry: :cry: s:cry: )

Anonymous

ive got a bit of a clattering sound coming from my engine, really noticeable when you change gear at 3000 revs. think it might just be a corroded heatshield somewhere thats vibrating. still makes me paranoid though!   s:( :( s:(

markiii

check teh heatshield around your cat pipe.

normally the casue.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

already had that one removed as that corroded aswell! any others i should check?

markiii

which one?

theres one actually around teh cat and one supposedly welded to the bit where it goes from 2 -1 just before teh cat.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"still makes me paranoid though!   s:( :( s:(

I know the feeling...and hate it!  s:? :? s:?

Could be that I'm hearing perfectly normal voices that have been there forever, but I never payed any attention to...wish I knew someone local with stock Roadster, so we could compare our paranoias  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"which one?

theres one actually around the cat and one supposedly welded to the bit where it goes from 2 -1 just before the cat.

the one that is around the main cat. can you see the other heat shield (the one that goes from 2-1) from looking into the engine bay or do i need to get it up on the ramps? by the way, which ones are 2-1?   s:? :? s:?

Tags: