tte turbo boost

Started by firepower, January 8, 2007, 22:44

firepower

can anyone shed any light on this

liz has had her car on the dyno to solve her drop off in power and torque and was told her boost was 10 psi and this could be causing her problem.

i had my car on the dyno a couple of months back and was told my boost was running at 5 psi   s:? :? s:?  

i thought that the tte turbo was set at 7 psi and could not be adjusted but it would appear that it can   s:?: :?: s:?:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

muffdan

yeah, there's no boost controller so isn't the boost level locked to whatever PSI is needed to compress the mechanical spring on the waste gate? And of course this should be the same across all TTE kits.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

and wasnt ninjinski's running at 8psi because he had his SP downpipe?!

kanujunkie

you'll get 8psi out a system set at 7psi due to boost creep, at the mo mines set at 5psi but i've seen it touch 7psi occasionally
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

firepower

if it is set and not adjustable how did they reduce liz's from 10 psi to 8 psi to solve her power and torque drop off problem
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

Anonymous

i would have thought its adjustable its just that the TTE piggy back is set up for the car to be run on 7psi

firepower

if that is the case how come my boost was set at 5 psi and liz's was set at 10 psi surely it should have been set at the optimum pressure for the turbo kit .

what psi are you running  s:?: :?: s:?:

Liz

Quote from: "firepower"if it is set and not adjustable how did they reduce liz's from 10 psi to 8 psi to solve her power and torque drop off problem

He turned a metal bar which is just underneath the turbo - I don't know what its called!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

maybe this is an issue you need to bring up with SP then and see why your cars are running different psi

as far as im aware im running 7psi , just like when i had it done but it wud be interesting to see if it is still running at that

kanujunkie

the piggy back unit is the map, i.e. the fuelling, it doesn't affect the pressure of the turbo, the turbo output sense line and actuator and wastegate are the only items that can affect pressure. As far as i can see from the installation manual, the only adjustment on that is the wastegate actuator arm which is length adjustable.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "firepower"if it is set and not adjustable how did they reduce liz's from 10 psi to 8 psi to solve her power and torque drop off problem

He turned a metal bar which is just underneath the turbo - I don't know what its called!

ia that the actuator?

stab in the dark

firepower

another thought we now believe that the psi is adjustable but the max psi you can run and still keep within the toyota warranty is 7 psi.

i assume that the turbo kit is supplied with the pressure  already set and so when it is fitted the only way to check what pressure it is running is to put it on a dyno

Anonymous

could that explain why your power is a bit down firepower cus at time of dyno you were on 5psi

firepower

yes i would think so

they said at the time of the dyno run the car was running low boost

Anonymous

now i bet you just carnt wait to get your new exhaust and another dyno done?!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "bossman23780"
Quote from: "Liz"

ia that the actuator?

stab in the dark

thats the actuator arm length adjuster that i'm talking about, have a look at page 9 of the install manual
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

From the TTET install manual it looks like the actuator arm is two-piece and can be screwed/unscrewed to alter its length. This won't change the pressure at which the wastegate actuator moves, but I'm thinking you can adjust the arm to make sure the wastegate is firmly shut under resting condition and not creeping a bit.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

firepower

you got it in one mate  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  im chomping at the bit when i get it dynoed i may see if they can adjust the psi

Anonymous

s8) 8) s8)   were you getting the downpipe aswell

firepower

yes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Well he managed to adjust the PSI on mine by twiddling with the actuator arm length.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

im very jealous now!!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

I've got a manual TIM gauge you're welcome to slap on for reference if you like.

Also have to consider that, although it was perishing cold at your dyno Phil, the conditions weren't as favourable to the boost brigade as they were at Silverstone. Now that we have the dyno plots from both Chris can do the correction for you based on the calibration numbers along the bottom.

Correction factor to get from wheel to fly at Silverstone was 12%. Not sure what Chris used at H'Sports - did anyone ask?

kanujunkie

but its the difference between shut and shut a bit more tightly, either way its still shut

what if the wastegate was allowed to leak slightly? and by that i mean all the time, the output px would have to rise slightly higher to maintain the initial pressure
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "Liz"Well he managed to adjust the PSI on mine by twiddling with the actuator arm length.

Entirely feasible. I'm guessing your actuator arm was holding the wastegate very tight shut before they backed it off a bit.

Interestingly (for some!), Gas alters the stock lever length on the C2's Garrett wastegate to make it open at a different speed.

Tags: