Difference in stereo sound

Started by Darth Paul, November 6, 2003, 17:29

Darth Paul

Bit of a strange one this...

Following a bus in stop-start traffic over lunch. Well, naturally the bus was chucking out loads of filthy fumes so I put air recirculation on to prevent these fumes from coming in.

As soon as I did the sound quality from the CD I was listening to (REM – Losing My Religion, in case you're interested  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) got better. More bass, less tinniness and generally richer.

So I slid the air recirculation knob back again and the sound returned to normal. And back again, and again.

Now I'm not insane, deaf or stupid. Well, not that stupid.

My theory is that a) the hard top is on, creating a rigid acoustic space; b) the air density changed when the vents were closed, resulting in a different sound.

Any ideas...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

DP

Slacey

Possibly what you say, or alternatively you are creating a totally enclosed area with no outside interference or channels for sound to escape.

My master will be along shortly to reveal the truth through his divine wisdom...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

That'll be Buster then!

Anonymous

* a cloub of smoke apears*

If you play a speaker any one will do, in an open inviroment then it will sound tinny and have no bass to it!, this is beacuse it is having to move all the air around it !

If you create a box then play the speaker it will sound louder and more bassy! As you are giving teh speaker less air to move and therefore the better it can perform

But in SPL (sound pressure level) contests it is well rigarded that a Vented box i.e. a box with a slot in it will sound louder and give more DB But the down side to this is it makes the speaker quailty go down as you are limited to the amount of air that it can move by teh size of the slot!

In SQ (sound quailty) events they use a sealed Box this means that the only air that the sub can move is that which is around the cone! this means that it will not suck in extra air nor will it despel extra air, meaning a quailer sound quailty!

Perosnally i use a sealed box and use a Big ass sud as the you get the SQ from the box but teh SPL from teh power of the sub

So to answer the question! when you close teh vents you are making a box for the speakers!

i thank you   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Which is what I said, master (only not in such a technical manner)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Yes, but buster did it with a certain style didnt he.    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

not to sure about the'cloub of smoke apears' quote????

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonboy"not to sure about the'cloub of smoke apears' quote????

my style   s8) 8) s8)   LOL

MRMike

I actually just tried this! I couldn't believe it but it's true...the sound is so much fuller with the vents closed...it was most prominent when i had the fans on though!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Well you learn something new every day!  Cannot wait to finish work (no change there then...) and go and try this on the way home.

Speakers are crackling as it is, so was planning on changing them soon, but this might help matters ever so slightly.

Do Toyota cover slightly damaged speakers under warranty?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

no but depnds on what your dealer's like !

they tend to say that the speaker if failty as you have played them to loud and therefore burnt out the magnets etc or damagdeed the cone !

But in your defence you can say they should match the headunit to the speakers so that even at max volume it wouldnt hurt the speakers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Good point, well made!

Will chance it when it goes in for the 10,000 service at Xmas.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Buster"But in your defence you can say they should match the headunit to the speakers so that even at max volume it wouldnt hurt the speakers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I had a bit of trouble with this.

IIRC the manual says not to play music with the maximum bass setting for extended periods of time (for teh Sony HU).

I took my 2 in and complained about the speakers and that they were really distorted. At first they refused to change them as they looked in the car and saw they bass setting on 3.

They said that because it said not to use the max setting they were going to refuse to change the speakers under warranty.

I got round it by asking them to prove that I had actually been listening to music with the max bass setting. Something they could not do.

Anonymous

It realy depends on how arsey your dealer is!

When you work it out the cost of 2 new speakers which come in the mounts is less then £20 and fitting will take no more than 10 mins !

So if they wont replace the speakers go else where.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

But you can make the speakers last longer by repalceing the capacitor on the tweeter and mid with larger sized. espically with teh Mid as this will cut off more harmfull low range bass 35hz and below and this means louder for longer with no extra harm.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Buster"It realy depends on how arsey your dealer is!

I no longer work with dealers. Toyota GB are the ones who look at my car now   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Slacey

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"I no longer work with dealers. Toyota GB are the ones who look at my car now   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Why, have you p*ssed off all the dealers near you  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: