Where can i mount an amp?

Started by Anonymous, June 9, 2003, 09:23

Anonymous

Ok, where can i mount an amp, i don't really wanna mount one in the storage bin as i may have to use it, is there anywhere else it can be done?

If howeever i do mount it in there, how much room is there left, with an average sized (small) amp?

Tem

Some have mounted theirs in the front storage bin. Some behind the seat(s), but that won't work unless you have short legs  s:) :) s:)

You pretty much lose half of the rear storage space, if you mount a normal amp in there. They aren't high, but you can't really put anything on them, or they will heat up..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

The front storage bin, you mean the glove box?

I tried for that and my ICE shop said it was too small, even for a small amp!!

Tem

Not the glove compartment, but the one where the spare wheel is.

Edit: Found pics of his install:
 m http://www.cardomain.com/id/bamaspyder m

Note how it mounts on a custom made plate and still allows normal use of the bin.

Anonymous

Wicked, just what i wanted, cheers mate!

Anonymous

Problem with that tho, is getting a constant Vout from the battery when using large speaker as the amp drop could trigger off resests in the MOSSFET of the amp, it's always best to have the amllest run of power cable avlaible,

The other way of doing it is to adda power cap next to the amp so that it acts like a 2nd battery ! but it works out quite expenive,

You can mount the genisis profile unger the passenger bin,

Remove the trim in teh bin and you will see the fuel tank, you then have around 4" of height there but dont foregt to mount the amp on a sound deadening as it may heat up the fuel tank (not good   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

markiii

Quote from: "Buster"Problem with that tho, is getting a constant Vout from the battery when using large speaker as the amp drop could trigger off resests in the MOSSFET of the amp, it's always best to have the amllest run of power cable avlaible,

The other way of doing it is to adda power cap next to the amp so that it acts like a 2nd battery ! but it works out quite expenive,

You can mount the genisis profile unger the passenger bin,

Remove the trim in teh bin and you will see the fuel tank, you then have around 4" of height there but dont foregt to mount the amp on a sound deadening as it may heat up the fuel tank (not good   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

You successfully nicked my idea then?  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well not quite!

i did mount the Genisis under the trim like you said, and without to long it over heated as i had the gains up to high, but i have found some other space on the driver's side but i maybe able to mount some fans in and try some bigger heat sinks etc,

I have found another place as well but i have a screen brain here is under the sterering coloum there a huge space and making abracket and you could mount an amp there,

So if you bought 2 genisis and ran them Active you could have an active feed on a set of comp's !!!! Or have i given you a clue to JAE LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

nice idea and I did consider it, though a) I personaly think it's overkill in a ragtop, and b) it would have spoilt my cunning plan as well. Should funds permit you'll see at JAE as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "Buster"The other way of doing it is to adda power cap next to the amp so that it acts like a 2nd battery ! but it works out quite expenive,

I wouldn't call it expensive...you can have 1F condensers  for under £50 and that's probably bigger than you ever need.

Besides, most front engined cars have the battery in engine bay in front and the amps in the trunk in the rear. It's not really a problem.

Btw, could someone take a pic of the passenger side bin cover and what's under it. Apparently it's different from what I have, as there was about half an inch of space in there..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"Remove the trim in teh bin and you will see the fuel tank, you then have around 4" of height there but dont foregt to mount the amp on a sound deadening as it may heat up the fuel tank (not good   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

And be careful if/where you drill any mounting holes!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Buster"Remove the trim in teh bin and you will see the fuel tank, you then have around 4" of height there but dont foregt to mount the amp on a sound deadening as it may heat up the fuel tank (not good   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

And be careful if/where you drill any mounting holes!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

LOL of course LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   it was mounted on a tight fitting 4mm MDF bass with plastic feet and dynomat before and after the miunted Amp so it was quite safe.

QuoteI wouldn't call it expensive...you can have 1F condensers for under £50 and that's probably bigger than you ever need.

Besides, most front engined cars have the battery in engine bay in front and the amps in the trunk in the rear. It's not really a problem.

I think 1 Farad would be the minermum but i would recomend at least 2 farad depending on set up!. also The amp may be mounted in teh boot but they noramlly run rear speker so the length of speaker wire is mineraml so to run a length of car in speaker wire may cause a loss in power and a problem with interferance   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "Buster"I think 1 Farad would be the minermum but i would recomend at least 2 farad depending on set up!. also The amp may be mounted in teh boot but they noramlly run rear speker so the length of speaker wire is mineraml so to run a length of car in speaker wire may cause a loss in power and a problem with interferance   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

The basic rule of thumb is 1F/1kW...so yes, it depends on the setup, but who's gonna run +1000W amp anyway?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

And the trunk mounted amps usually run only speakers on/in the dash. Several HiFi cars don't have rear speakers at all. The sub is quite often on the back though.

But anyway, I don't see any major difference in speaker wire lenght from the rear storage bin amp or the front spare bin amp. Remember the speakers are in the doors. You probably need shorter wires from the front bin..

Anonymous

bigun007,

dunno if you have got your amp sorted, but i have mine velcroed to the carpet behind the passenger seat against the rear bulkhead.  When the seat's pushed back (as is usually the case) you can't see the amp so it's pretty safe.

Martin

Tags: