amp ? for the stereo kings?(u know who you are)

Started by Anonymous, November 17, 2003, 22:36

Anonymous

any suggestions for a decent amp to power my 6*9s?
nothing to large as its going in the storage bins and not to pricey as the missus is buying it me for christmas  s:D :D s:D

markiii

Genesis Profile.

Depending on how creative you feel, if you remove the plastic bottoms of the bins theres another 1 1/2 inches of space under there. If you custom build a cover you won't lose any storage.

Or teh Blaukpunkt PA400 very small.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

I've got a Genesis Profile Four sat in a box behind me - looks like a nice size to fit under the storage bin floors like markiii says.

I've also got a couple of old(ish) Alpine's - 202a's, only 2 channels, very (very - 18" or so) long, but also very thin (only 8-9" tops) front to back, so something that kinda shape might make a good candidate too (if they don't get too hot, of course).

Wish I could comment on how it sounds, but I was too much of a lazy bugger to ever fit it to my JDM Fairlady TT, and then too much of a lazy git to fit it to my UK 300ZX, and now probably too lazy to fit it to my '2! Ahem  s:) :) s:)  (Me, lazy? Nah..)

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

have done a wrote up on amps it is on a search   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Depending on how creative you feel, if you remove the plastic bottoms of the bins theres another 1 1/2 inches of space under there. If you custom build a cover you won't lose any storage.

I've wondered about this space before (specifically when I fitted my mStation/neo). The biggest problem I forsee is cooling?

markiii

fans could solve the problem, and the Genesis has inbuilt fans anyway.

However if I were doing this I probably wouldn't just mount under the existing plastics, rather remove them and create something custom, leaving the heatsink exposed but the wiring hidden. You could still put things on top if you need to, but when you don't you've got plenty of air to keep the amps cool.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quoteand the Genesis has inbuilt fans anyway

the profile series dosent have inbiult fans !

But cooling is easy as you can get hold of any fan you want within reson and the fans i have installed inteh past for instalation into small crampt corners are scroll fans these are like a cigar tube and blow air out along the lenth of the tube rather than the cirmumfrance of the end!

These are good for small spaces but the most important thing is when mounting under the bins is to insulate it from the fuel tank!

Normally a sheet of butan liner (use in fish ponds) will donw and glue it down.

also keep all power cables away from the sensors as the ECU is a around there as well,

It's a goos place to install a small less demaning amp,

But for the sake of lossing a few inches in the bins go for a amp that performse better and has larger RMS output so you can turn the gain down to stop i working so ahrd and heating up !

A guy in the states ran a Viper 3000.1 which is 3000 RMS amp. he ran it powering a single tweeter at 1 ohn at 100RMS or somthing like that for a day and it ambitent working temp (i.e. no load but on temp) was 24oc and on load it was 25oc so nothing to it lads just try and fit an amp 6 foot long 3 foot wide by about 20 inches thick int ehrear bins LOL

oh just for thew tweeter too!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

I'm sure the Profile literature states that it has fans? Because it doesn't have a heatsink.

Anonymous

it used the whole outside cover as a heat sink therefore no fans needed!

+ i think it would be hard pressed to fit a fan in the amp thats less than 30mm think any way   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   im thinking of the 2 channel by the way

aaronjb

I'm sure the Profile Four has a fan btw - see this pic, although it's virtually impossible to see..

I can always take a better pic tonight  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

just re-checked the brochure.

Looks like we're both right. The case is used as teh heatsink but they also make reference to their inovative inbuilt fans

Anonymous

i stand corrected markii have install a few of these babbies and the fan is very quite then as i have never heard it nor have i made the oprprate air ways   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   but they havent come back to me yet saying that it's blown up LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

were can i get the genesis amp from and what should i be looking at price wise.
i did read your amp guide buster but i wanted something not so expensive.
if i was buying it myself money would not be an option but i am having it brought for me so i need to keep the cost down.

markiii

how many channels do you want? they do a 2, 4, 5 and a sub only mono.

Anonymous

just enough to run a pair of 6*9s off.
i am looking at the 10" infinity sub/amp combined at a later date but i just want something to run my rear speakers off.

markiii

last time I actively looked 6 months ago £229 was about average for teh  channel

Anonymous

have a look at  w www.caraudiodiscount.co.uk w

these guys are the dogs dangleies and if they havent got what your after then give me a shout and i can get you some more address's   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

if your thinking about a sub later i would fork out teh extra money for the extra bridged channels so you only have to install 1 amp less hassle and you save money on cables etc

Anonymous

thanks for the advice,it is very much appreciated.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"
Quoteand the Genesis has inbuilt fans anyway

the profile series dosent have inbiult fans !

I have the Genesis Profile II and I can confirm that it does indeed have an inbuild fan...

By the way, it's an awesome amp, if you prefer quality over SPL.

Anonymous

yeah we comfemed that one emmanuel as i thougth it relied just on heatsink but i got modles mixed up   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: