Leakage

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2003, 14:30

Anonymous

I've booked my car for 3-days worth of testing in early January.
The reason?

The recent poor weather has somehow managed to make the car fill up with water deposits, noticably by the tiny cubby holes on the passenger door (water was collecting on the base of the plastic).

I've also noticed droplets on the tweeters and drivers speaker which alarmed me   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Has anyone else noticed any minor leakage or condensation collecting during this kind of weather? I'm not aware if there were/are any known problems like this

Slacey

The water collecting in the storage bins is due to the drainage holes under the hood being blocked, I'll find the URL to the fix on Spydermagazine - as for the droplets on the speakers, I have had this sometimes after washing the car (water beinf forsed past the seal with the hose) and when I have opened the door when the car is wet, and water drips in off the leadong edge of the door trim.

Shouldn't worry too much to be honest.

*EDIT* My bad, the drainage problem is covered here... http://www.euroroadster.com/articles/ShowArticle.asp?File=DrainHoles.xml and not Spydermagazine...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , but I've read your reply and it isn't the right area anyway! *EDIT*
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

It isnt happening by the rear compartments, its the passenger/driver side door where there are miniscule gaps to hold things.

I call them cubby holes, but I'm sure theres a more elaborate word toyota uses. Still, the passengers side has been collecting water residue which is definately bad (I noticed this when entering the car, and seeing the droplets)

GSB

Quote from: "elfin"I call them cubby holes, but I'm sure theres a more elaborate word toyota uses.

Access Portal Oddment Recepticle's?

(Just a suggestion...)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "elfin"It isnt happening by the rear compartments, its the passenger/driver side door where there are miniscule gaps to hold things.

I call them cubby holes, but I'm sure theres a more elaborate word toyota uses. Still, the passengers side has been collecting water residue which is definately bad (I noticed this when entering the car, and seeing the droplets)

I had a similar thing, on the drivers door; the A-pillar rubber window seal wasn't sealing against the glass properly, and when it rained heavy I used to get water running down the inside of the glass and door.

It was eventually solved (after several trips to MrT) by replacing the entire rubber seal (which is single piece, from one side, over the top, and back down the other).

Anonymous

Making the phone call to the warranty dept, I didnt have to convince the chap at all. They just wanted the car for 3 days for testing and thats it.
They'll replace parts if they see a problem.

I'll make a note to check the A-piller sealing, I hope the car isnt falling apart yet

Anonymous

Yep, the entire rubber seal should be replaced; I had the same trouble shortly after getting my 2001. The dealer warrantied it out, and no more leaks

Rex

Anonymous

Quote from: "elfin"They just wanted the car for 3 days for testing and thats it.

So they're guaranteeing rain during those 3 days, and/or getting one of the trainees to spray it with a hose for 3 days?

Or just wanting your car for 3 days, 'cos it's better than someone else's Yaris to tear around in   s:x :x s:x  ?

aaronjb

Quote from: "pmdye"Or just wanting your car for 3 days, 'cos it's better than someone else's Yaris to tear around in   s:x :x s:x  ?

That sounds likely..

Then again - it took them an hour to reattach a bit of the plastic undertray  on my car (looked like it was on a popstud.. had it not been raining I'd have done it myself in 5 minutes.. and that includes dragging the jack out of the garage!).. So maybe it does take 3 days to change that bit of rubber  s;) ;) s;)

Aaron (Shutting up now to prevent further topic-drift  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "pmdye"Or just wanting your car for 3 days, 'cos it's better than someone else's Yaris to tear around in   s:x :x s:x  ?

That sounds likely..

Then again - it took them an hour to reattach a bit of the plastic undertray  on my car (looked like it was on a popstud.. had it not been raining I'd have done it myself in 5 minutes.. and that includes dragging the jack out of the garage!).. So maybe it does take 3 days to change that bit of rubber  s;) ;) s;)

Aaron (Shutting up now to prevent further topic-drift  s:) :) s:) )

Not really, I waited on my car at the dealer, was out of there in about 3 hours

Rex

Anonymous

I'll bump up this topic come Jan 8th with an update, I have no idea why the car needs 3 days worth of testing.

Its hard to prove water condensation residue when 'normal' rain doesnt collect in the car as much. It leaks, but it doesnt if you get what I mean

Fingers crossed I wont get a VW polo complete with dog hairs to drive around in. I had to vacuum the seats the last time   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Guys

i was just going to search on Leaks cos.......

I've just got my car from being on a ship for a month and standing in the rain for a week or so and it has a small amount of water at the front passenger side where the plastic trim is to the left of the foot well. I would have thought that this was going to be due to drain holes blocked, but at the bonnett  s:?: :?: s:?:  
I've looked at the article of one of the problems found but this seems to deal with water from the hood and rear, mine seem to only be at the front of the vehicle and from the botton not the window or tweeter area.

Am i being dense?

Thanks in advance be kind its been a long day already  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "adair69"it has a small amount of water at the front passenger side where the plastic trim is to the left of the foot well

I think I have the same problem mate, and I've not heard many problems regarding this type of problem here or on spyderchat.

Under the plastic sills also collect a lot of excess water, it might be a design fault, but I'm going to point it out to toyota.

Anonymous

Thanks Elfin

Could you keep us up to date with what they say as mine is an import and it would be nice to know what the problem is and the fix, so i can arrange for it myself.

dancarbon

I think I have the same problem Elfin, occassionally water dribbles in down the window near the mirror. It doesn't even have to be raining hard.  s:( :( s:(  

I did post this on here a while ago and was told the seal probably was either a blocked drain in the seal or the seal needed replacing which should be done under warranty but  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I haven't got around to it.

If I do pull my finger out I'll let you know how I get on.

DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Liz

Bah humbug (well it is near Xmas!!)

I appear to have sprung a leak now, Simon and I went out in the car the other day and my tax disc holder fell off the window as usual (the metal one - just got some more sticky pads!) I digress, when he picked it up off of the floor he found that the passenger mat was soaking and I mean soaking wet and the carpet slightly damp underneath.  As it has just come back from the body shop I am wondering whether or not they have replaced the sills properly around the doors, its raining now so I suppose I will find out when I leave work whether or not it is related to this.
There are no possible other explanations, ie dog has not piddled on it, Simon definiately didn't and I haven't dropped any bottles of coke etc.  s:?: :?: s:?:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Bah humbug (well it is near Xmas!!)

I appear to have sprung a leak now, Simon and I went out in the car the other day and my tax disc holder fell off the window as usual (the metal one - just got some more sticky pads!) I digress, when he picked it up off of the floor he found that the passenger mat was soaking and I mean soaking wet and the carpet slightly damp underneath.  As it has just come back from the body shop I am wondering whether or not they have replaced the sills properly around the doors, its raining now so I suppose I will find out when I leave work whether or not it is related to this.
There are no possible other explanations, ie dog has not piddled on it, Simon definiately didn't and I haven't dropped any bottles of coke etc.  s:?: :?: s:?:

Check its not coming in from the roof windscreen seal as well.

Anonymous

Thats exactly where my leak is. Don't know if its helped or not yet, but went under the bonnet and ran water into the top edge (seem to have a lirttle puddle there. Must have cleared something though as there wasn't any water in the footwell later (touch wood).

Anonymous

*bump*

Well I got the car back last night after the proposed 3 day water testing was cut short to an overnight garage stay.

The "water test" was hardly what you'd call scientific, it meant I had to leave my car outside the dealer forecourt while it rained overnight and then check if the bits of paper they left in the interior were wet or not.

The day the car was bought in, the weather was mild and not a trace of water was found overnight or at all. Obviously they couldnt replicate this   s:? :? s:?  

All seals on the car are apparently in good nick and the only adjustment Mr T did was to make a slight cut in both the drainage seals at the rear compartment. Apparently this is a known fault that may create a lot of atmospheric pressure and/or water retention, hence the build up on condensation and "leakage" within the interior.
Might be true, but that doesnt convince me from the damp I've witnessed from the canvas lining on the roof.

I'll upload some pictures tonight to see if anyone has had this problem, these have been shown to the warranty guys at Mr T, and even they said it looked pretty bad!

For now I'll have to keep an eye on the weather and see if this phenomena happens again. They want me to book the car in for a whole week the next time

Liz

Finally discovered where my leak is coming from, Mum got out of the car the other day and the sun was out, she asked me if the passenger door was closed right as there was a shadow over the rear wing...turns out, and this appears to be body shop related after the crash, but the door is about 5mm out from the bodyline and has a huge gap at the top edge above the handle.  I have now got to cart it back to the body shop so that they can take a look at it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  You may ask yourself why I never noticed it before, I am asking myself the same thing!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Finally discovered where my leak is coming from, Mum got out of the car the other day and the sun was out, she asked me if the passenger door was closed right as there was a shadow over the rear wing...turns out, and this appears to be body shop related after the crash, but the door is about 5mm out from the bodyline and has a huge gap at the top edge above the handle.  I have now got to cart it back to the body shop so that they can take a look at it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  You may ask yourself why I never noticed it before, I am asking myself the same thing!

Nope, I've no idea what the passenger side of my car looks like.  Might even be a different colour for all I know  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Is this the passenger door Liz, as i noticed that there is a larger gap on mine than my drivers side door.

While mine doesnt stick out like it sounds yours does, the gap between the door and the bodywork is bigger on this side. Maybe just the door needs adjusting somewhere....?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

*the following images have not been distorted or photoshopped in any way shape or form

Taken on a cold evening in december 03, yes those are tiny icicles on the head lining.

complete with a bit of moisture on the hood plating as an added bonus

dried rain spots on the door interior

Alright, hands up if anyone has encountered this before?

Anonymous

Blimey! Mines out in the cold, and it has frozen on the windscreen (which is fine) but never anything like that!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

I am sorry to say I have never seen anything like that   s:( :( s:(   Also my roof has never leaked even though it has been completely replaced once under warranty due to a different issue. Mine has lived all the time outside, never garaged.

However I due use the hardtop half the year but even then when washing the softop or in summer deluges it never had a problem. I have had the locker flooding issue but that is altogether different.

Tags: