Is it just me??!!

Started by Anonymous, November 27, 2003, 22:08

Anonymous

I've had my '2 for almost 2 years now, and I have religiously washed her at least once a week, usually on a saturday morning. Whether it is sunny, dry, wet, cold, windy. In fact Ive always thought that washing your car in the rain is ideal, since the rain naturally washes the suds leaving a smear free exterior.

I've had all the comments from the neighbours, the jokes, the jeers. But they've all spoken to me, asking for my trade secrets!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

My normal cleaning routine consists of a washing, drying, wheel cleaning, tyre dressing, polishing (every 3 weeks) interior carpets, dash, leathers and finally run over her with my special cloth!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  This process has been known to take me upto 4 hours, normally it takes 2-2 1/2 hrs.

Am I normal in with my obsession with cleaning? I just like to have the cleanest car in the street!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Show that AMG up the road how to look after a car!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

How often do u guys clean your cars?

filcee

-er- when I have the time?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Usually no longer than fortnightly, but it has gone 3 weeks this time and desperately needs cleaning and checking for chips - salted roads, and I got stuck behind two gritting wagons tonight.

Usually I wash it with Autoglym or SupaGard, apply Alloy Wheel Protector and spruce the tyres up.  Infrequently wipe the interior with a damp e-cloth (same for windows).  Sometimes I vac it.  Polish twice a year, when the top goes on, and when it comes off again.

If it takes me more than 90 mins, then I'm knackered for getting my job list finished in a weekend - but that's the joy of spending most weeks away at work.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Just like you Iv'e had all the cleaning car jokes. You'll wash the paint off that, etc,etc.
I wash mine as necessary sometimes 2/3 times a week and polish once a week if needed.
I don't believe in paying thousands for a car then neglect it, I expect to recoupe as much poss of my investment. Like anything else it's each to their own, I have no problem if someone wants to neglect their own belongings but it's not my way. Come the spring I will even clean the underside to remove as much winter grime as poss. Yes I know, I'm mad but I enjoy admiring the end product.

Anonymous

I polish mine at LEAST once a week, has to be SPOTLESS.

Much to the annoyance of my G/F lol, it gets washed on saturdays, then washed and polished sunday's!!

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  when its really dirty   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I hate cleaning cars. Still, now the hard top is on again its car wash time   s:) :) s:)  

Took it through a couple of days ago. I had forgotten what colour it was   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

Quote from: "S7EVE"Am I normal in with my obsession with cleaning?

Oh just wait till some ppl tell you how they spend a day making the car look shiny with a toothbrush  s8) 8) s8)

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to washing, the last time I washed mine was the 4th of July. No, nothing to do with US independence, just a local meet. Sure I've used a pressure washer after that several times, to get the most off, but it never really makes the car clean...kinda sucks to not have a garage. The car is dirty after one day by the street anyway  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dimwit

Quote from: "S7EVE"How often do u guys clean your cars?

Just leave it to the mrs...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    She'll do a better job than me anyhow   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Cleaned every week, polished every 3 weeks or so. Interior gets a wipe evry week too, with a vac fortnightly.

Same as pointed out above, I paid so much for the car, I want to look after it!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Same as Cartell. In addition, I find that besides actually driving it, the cleaning and polishing is the second most satisfying aspect of owning a car like this. Don't laugh, but I also find it very relaxing. I also pay special attention to the visible underside when vieiwed from the rear. The black tray and even the suspension arms also get a polishing !!!!!

Hope4Sun

Every week and everytime it gets dirty, but most the members here know i'm a clean freak  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: , been through 5 tooth brushes this year   s;) ;) s;)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Darth Paul

Every Saturday – six hours. Full monty. I love walking up the path to the house once it's done and turning round and admiring it!

That's when it's not in the bodyshop...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

DP

Anonymous

Until the buzzer bleeps & the water cuts off  s:!: :!: s:!:  

My 2 is washed when it is required. Usually if going out somewhere nice, a meet or because it just looks dirty. Apart from that not too often. Just prefer to be on the inside & moving, not on the outside & looking. Would never knock anyone for keeping theirs really clean though.   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

I know someone who was cleaning theirs on Saturday in torrential rain!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

And no, it wasn't me.....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I know someone who was cleaning theirs on Saturday in torrential rain!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

And no, it wasn't me.....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Who would do that.... DAMN, their car must have been filthy.....!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

once a week outside,especially now the roads are crap.
interior once every 2 weeks and polish once a month.
if i had the time i would clean the wheels every day.

Anonymous

Every weekend, rinse, shampoo including toothbrush for alloys and rinse, chamois dry both bodywork and outside of alloys, tires dressed less often

Polish every month, Autoglym extra gloss protection less often

Inside done every 2 weeks approx - dash cleaned, vaccum and all glass cleaned

When in summer, I re-treat the softtop with Autoglym Bumper Care once a month

Have been 'caught' by a neighbour in the pitch dark with torch cleaning a mark off at about 11pm   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Hope4Sun

In my best Yoda voice "Trained well in the way of the cleaing you are!! mmmmmmmm, A Jedi can feel the dirty side of the car and use the tooth brush as an extension of his will to fight it"  s;) ;) s;)    s:D :D s:D  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

aaronjb

I have to admit that I just got the letter telling me I've had the car for a month now (Oops, missed out on the 600 mile checkup   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and uh.. I haven't washed it yet   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

My excuse is that it's either been a) pouring with rain every weekend or b) I've been away at the weekend somewhere without car-washing facilities.. I really could do with washing it, but.. I'm away this coming weekend, busy the next weekend.. I need some lighter evenings! Or take a day off work to do it..   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I put it through the carwash once every one or two weeks.  Does the job just fine.  People talk about it leaving incy wincy little scratches on the paint.  I suppose that's true but I'm too busy, too lazy and having too much fun driving it to be spending 2 hrs a week with a chammy and a toothbrush.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"I have to admit that I just got the letter telling me I've had the car for a month now (Oops, missed out on the 600 mile checkup   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and uh.. I haven't washed it yet   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

My excuse is that it's either been a) pouring with rain every weekend or b) I've been away at the weekend somewhere without car-washing facilities.. I really could do with washing it, but.. I'm away this coming weekend, busy the next weekend.. I need some lighter evenings! Or take a day off work to do it..   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I didn't know you were meant to have a 600mile checkup; the dealer never told me that  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Hmmm... Normal wash/polish inside-out every two weeks. Wax every 6 months.  

With special sponges, etc 'coz the last thing we want is those awful scratches...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Hmmm... Normal wash/polish inside-out every two weeks. Wax every 6 months.  

With special sponges, etc 'coz the last thing we want is those awful scratches...
Special sponges  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

MRMike

Okay here goes...washed, polished, and then extra protection polished, hoovered and valeted inside with new car spray at LEAST three times a week..monday..wed..fri.  This service includes tootbrushing all wheels then applying brake dust barrier,  powerhosing all arches, glass polish (inside and out) wiping the engine cover - i know!, blacking the tires.  Then I go to sleep in the car as i'm so knackered, getting high from the 'new car smell' Oh i nearly forgot to mention i also polish the roll bar with chrome polish. I think i spend more on auoglym stuff each week than i do on petrol or shopping
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "Emmanuel"Hmmm... Normal wash/polish inside-out every two weeks. Wax every 6 months.  

Special sponges  s:?: :?: s:?:
At £12 each they'd better be special...

It's supposed to be some really soft cloth on one side which does not cause these "car wash" scratches.  They are really good actually.

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"It's supposed to be some really soft cloth on one side which does not cause these "car wash" scratches.

I always thought those are cause by starting to wash the paintwork when it has some loose dirt on it...I always get rid of them with a pressure washer before actually starting to wash the car. Don't have any special sponges and no scratches either...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: