Are all Toyota dealers this rubbish?

Started by paul russell, December 4, 2003, 10:02

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "bigun007"The other dealer near me refused me a test drive, stating i am too young to be seriously considering an MR2 - lol proved him wrong.

Don't worry many dealers are like this.

Before I had the 2 (and when I was only 22....with a baby face  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  !!) I was considering the Elise. I went into the local Lotus dealership and was browing the latest version. It took a while before a salesman came over and when he did it was just a rough "Can I help you?".

"I was wondering if I would be able to take one on a test drive" I said.

"We don't just let people test drive our cars matey. Only those who can buy one!"

"I am interested in one. A work collegue of mine bought his from here and he reccomended you to me"

"And just who was that?"

I then went on to mention who it was and the company I worked for.

"Oh yes Sir. I believe we can book you in, in a couple of days. The weather should be a lot better then and should make for a wonderful test drive. Let me get you a cup of coffee and we will take down your details. Don't worry about having to contact us, as I promise we will contact you this afternoon."

He then started handing me booklet after booklet and running through optional extras etc!!!

A for Toyota, this was funny as well as I had learned from my Lotus experience.

I walked in. Nobody really took much notice of me. I had a look around the 2 and still nobody took much notice. People who came in after me were being served by salesmen, so I decided I would just walk up to one.

"I would like to take an MR2 on a test drive"

"You know they are over £18k?" he said

"Yeah, I know. I not too fussed about that"

"We'll need to see your driving license and it will probably be a couple of weeks after that before we can get you a test drive"

"I was hoping I would get one sooner"

"How much sooner? We can't do much better than that"

"Well put it this way. I work for xxxxxx, I have an hours lunch break, I'm on my way into town and when I come back I will be putting down a £1k deposit on [pointing] that MGF in the Rover showroom next door. Unless you can give me a test drive and convince me otherwise"

Within a couple of minutes they had a blue Roadster waiting for me.

When I got back they asked me how it had gone. I asked them for booklets and said that I would be back the next day (as my lunch break was ending) with a cheque for a grand as my deposit.

They still didn't believe that I would return. But obviously I did!!!

Anonymous

Yeh, my local Elise dealer was like that. They charge EUR 300 for a test drive (!) which they refund when you buy. Fair enough. So I said I wanted to book a test drive.

They refused. So I walked out and complaind via a public Elise forum her in Germany.

The dealer replied that I didnt fit their customer profile. Well I guess a mid 40 man with a sports car already, no kids and the money in the hand isnt worth their time.

I later found out another person, who put the cash on the table and said "I want to buy that car", was also refused. Customer service.... Not with that dealer. The guy picked up his cash, walked next dor and bought a porsche instead, for cash.

MRMike

I cannot believe they charge you that much! that is criminal, and just to see if the car suits you?  You could go on a supercar trackday for that much; drive an elise, 911, and 360! Csutomer service is exaclty that..serving the customer they want to.  I know Mercedes/Porsche used to be like this but they've even bucked they're ideas up.  In Lotus's present situation they should be trying to entice people into their cars rather than push them away..or maybe they just think "we need money either way, if they buy or not which is prob not too far from the truth"
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"I cannot believe they charge you that much! that is criminal, and just to see if the car suits you?  You could go on a supercar trackday for that much; drive an elise, 911, and 360! Csutomer service is exaclty that..serving the customer they want to.  I know Mercedes/Porsche used to be like this but they've even bucked they're ideas up.  In Lotus's present situation they should be trying to entice people into their cars rather than push them away..or maybe they just think "we need money either way, if they buy or not which is prob not too far from the truth"

Well I have to say that "customer Service" in almost an unknown term in Germany   s:x :x s:x   normal custermer service is "WHAT YOU WANT WHAT!!!"

I dont think Lotus is to blame here but the garage (Auto Konig). They are the only delaer for Lotus around here, the next being i Stuttgart and Nueremburg I think. I did think of complaining to Lotus about it, but in the end we decided not to change the roadster so it is unimportant now. If later I get a Lotus, I will go via another dealer and arrange to collect it from the factory.

Anonymous

-----

Anonymous

oooo

Anonymous

Its interesting reading about peoples experiences with deals, I am 27 and went to a large coventry based dealership (you know who you are cos i complained bitterly with my dad, who was there to buy a new landcruser) and was not taken seriously as a prospective purchaser  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   even though I was fortuate enough to be able to pay in hard cash (wish I had taken it in a breifcase  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ).

Anyway, does anyone know if the suspension problem is only on pre 03 and what mods were done on post 03 cars?

markiii

post 03 has stiffer shocks, but I bet the top mounts have the same problem.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

colindanks

The "you know who you are" dealer had a massive falling-out with MrT and are now Saab dealers in Birmingham. I'm glad I never used them because they broke loads of promises to their customers.

s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Roger H"colindanks

The "you know who you are" dealer had a massive falling-out with MrT and are now Saab dealers in Birmingham. I'm glad I never used them because they broke loads of promises to their customers.

s:D :D s:D
Toyota have dumped a few later including Camdens
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

The only time I have been turned down for a test drive (in a car) was at the Chrysler dealer in Leamington Spa... they weren't too keen to let me take the shiny new Viper out   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

And on the subject of ex-franchised dealers, Toyota seem to have had a bit of a purge - the Hylton group in Telford and Shrewsbury lost theirs last year.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

paul russell

Quote from: "Paddleman"GSB - I assume i have a similar suspension problem as Paul. My car has gone to Toyota today to be checked out.

Paddleman, what was the result of your visit to the dealer?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"And on the subject of ex-franchised dealers, Toyota seem to have had a bit of a purge - the Hylton group in Telford and Shrewsbury lost theirs last year.
Yep - my local - Sturgess - is now a Nissan dealer, but they are still covered by Toyota to do warranty work/services etc.

I took my motor there the day before yesterday for its first MOT... it passed with flying colours!  Well the car has only done 7000 miles...!  (yes you read that right!)

I also managed to get my front brake discs replaced as they were looking a bit rusty - the dealer also threw in some new pads for me which was nice of them under warranty  s:D :D s:D  

However, on the way to the garage it was bucketing it down with rain, and to my horror I noticed that droplets of rain were coming through the top of the window   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    It wasn't exactly a deluge of water - just a few droplets drip-dripping on my arm!  The dealer took a look at the same time they did my MOT and have decided that I need some new rubber seals as the old ones are knackered...

I should hopefully be getting these fitted next week - which is just as well as this is when my 3 year warranty runs out!  Has anyone else extended their warranty?  I wonder if its worth going the private route rather than the Toyota route - if it works out cheaper and there is no real benefit in sticking with Toyota for it.....  s:?: :?: s:?:  

FYI we also have a new official Toyota dealer in Leicester now - Farmer & Carlisle.  I may register over there but to be honest the customer service that I've received at Sturgess has been very good so I'm in two minds about it...   s:? :? s:?  

Roll on summer....!  I'm sick of this wet, icy and windy weather....!    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I extended my warranty on ym old Astra - its was underwritten by the RAC and was nothing but trouble.

The gearbox went - so i called them up and they said that its fine, just bring service record with me, so i did, now i had the 50 000 mile service 2000 miles early as the car was feeling rough, i had the 60 000 service at 60 000 miles.

They wouldn't honour the warranty, apparently it had to be every 10 000 miles and that the service intervals didn't count for anything.

Wasn't impressed at having to shell out for a new gearbox that was PROVEN to be a mechanical defect by an expert witness (was thinking of court action but was cheaper to get it reconditioned in the end)

aaronjb

Back on the ol' top mounts subject..

I just called my dealer, and the conversation went like this;

Me: "I'm getting a strange horrible knocking noise, and a very bad jolt through the steering when 3-point turning out of my parking space on a morning. Some other owners have pointed out the top mounts as a possible cause"

Mr T: "No, no there's no problems with the suspension on the Roadsters. The noise you can hear will be power steering fluid going down the pipes. Toyota have a new design pipe to clear that up. Oh, what kind of surface is your parking space? Tiles, tarmac?"
(It's funny, I've never known power steering fluid to make it feel like my wheels are falling off!)

Me: "It's just a tarmac carpark"

Mr T: "Ah well, you see you can get some strange noises on some surfaces, it'll probably be that."

Me: "Er, well it didn't do it when I picked it up"

Mr T: "Probably the pipe then. How many miles are on it?"

Me: "28 thousand or so"

Mr T: "Ah - have you checked the tyres then?"

Me: "Yes.. I only picked it up 2000 miles ago, they're fine, and it didn't do this when I got it"

Mr T: "Ok, we'll have to take it in, it'll be that pipe though, but we'll need to order the parts. We can look at it on the 6th of Jan if you want a courtesy car, then bring it back for the work"

I really really regret buying a new car now - I should have just stuck with the 300.. At least when things went wrong, I could fix them because I don't feel the need to lie and be evasive to myself!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Grr.. I hate garages..

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

GSB

Theres no need to lie, you just have to remember that although its your car, they're picking up the bill for the repairs, so you have to let them make the diagnostic decisions (hes fullly trained to diagnose a steering problem over the phone dont you know!) and let them fix the parts they want to fix... When the new PS pipe fails to cure the problem, they'll keep going until they get it right.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

Sorry - maybe it didn't read right.. I wasn't lying to him (it is a tarmac carpark, and concrete at work - and does the same both places, and it does feel like my wheels are falling off..), but I felt like I was being given the runaround..

Really, a simple 'Bring it in on the 6th, and we'll have a look at it' would have been much better than "It's probably the road surface", followed by, "It's probably your tyres".. I can handle the fact that it's a while before they can look at it, because I need a courtesy car (unless the godawful handling causes me to end up in a ditch! it's a fight just to keep it in a straight line at the moment) - I just hate being given the runaround..

Working on my own car was much easier - I just replaced parts until it was fixed (although generally I knew which part was faulty, so just replaced that bit).

The overriding impression I go though was that it'd be loads of hassle to look at it, and they'd rather I just went away.. Which bugs me - I paid over the odds on the price of the car to get dealer 'backup', afterall.. (Which was pretty stupid in hindsight, I know   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

GSB

If thats the feeling you get when talking to them, then perhaps its time to try a different dealer. I use Jemca Metro in North London, and not once has the service guy tried to bullshit me, and he listens intently to my suggestion of fault cause every time. I only ever use 1 point of contact, and ask for him by name every time. I find it helps reduce the number of people in the chain between me and the guy with the spanners. The less links in the chain, the less chance of any particular requests I have made being mis-understood.

I know where you're coming from with regards to the "what sort of surface" nonsense, I dont want an over the phone diagnosis from the service guy, who'll then simply put a work order through to change the power steering pipe with no explanation to the mechanic of why its being done. I want to listened to and then have the trained mechanics do the diagnosis using my input as one of the tools. Its not much to ask for, but its surprising just how far out of your way you have to go to get it sometimes.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

paul russell

aaronjb, your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. As you say, even in a straight line the car feels unstable. Twice the other week I was going around a bend at very modest speed and the back end felt like it wanted to let go. And that was in the dry, before this cold snap. Mine is booked in again on 23rd Dec for the dealer to look at it again. The service guy phoned me last week in response to an email I sent him prompting him to read through this thread. He said Toyota are still insisting they are not aware of this problem, other than the power steering pipe, which I have already had replaced.

Anonymous

Strange aint it - my dealer told me they are aware of the problem and its not the first roadster he has had in with the problem. He said he is expecting a mod to come out soon from Mr T early next year and that he would just let me know when it comes out and fit it to my car.

paul russell

Kris, which dealer do you use?

Anonymous

Steven Eagell Toyota, Milton Keynes.

They have their bad moments, but if you catch them on a good day they can be quite friendly & helpfull (see this thread:  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1836 m  ).

paul russell

This is getting a bit frustrating. My MR2 is back in with the dealer to have the supension juddering sorted out. I left it there overnight so they could witness the problem after the car had been parked up for a while. They've just phoned me and said it's the front tyres not gripping the tarmac properly. It feels much too severe to be this and why does it clear after driving a few hundred yards? The tyres can't be warmed up that quickly.
Advice, chaps?

Anonymous

Quote from: "paul russell"This is getting a bit frustrating. My MR2 is back in with the dealer to have the supension juddering sorted out. I left it there overnight so they could witness the problem after the car had been parked up for a while. They've just phoned me and said it's the front tyres not gripping the tarmac properly. It feels much too severe to be this and why does it clear after driving a few hundred yards? The tyres can't be warmed up that quickly.
Advice, chaps?

Have a read of this: http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1928

More and more strange.

aaronjb

Quote from: "paul russell"They've just phoned me and said it's the front tyres not gripping the tarmac properly.

Funny, that's almost the exact same words that my local Mr T used initially.. I wonder if there's a Toyota bulletin to that effect that they're all reading out? Either that or you went to the same dealer as I did  s:) :) s:)  (Octagon, Slough)

Tags: