My 10k Service Report

Started by Anonymous, December 13, 2003, 15:02

Anonymous

Well, this morning i droped my car in for its 10k service along with a list of problems i had... here are the problems and what they have done/will do about it:

Clutch:
The clutch is squeaking very badly and is very loud (can be heard from ourside the car!). It seems to appear after driving for a short while, say 2 or 3 mins and it starts. please investigate.

[dealer]: They have lubricated an external bearing that should cure the problem. If not then it will need the gearbox to be stripped.

[result]: The clutch seems smoother and there is (touch wood) no squeek so far.

Gearbox:
The gearbox sounds clunky, and have been pointed out by other MR2 owners as being 'clunky'. Gear changes could probably be smoother... please investigate.

[dealer]: They have have a look and compared it to another roadster and it seems to be the same on most of them. If there is a mod that comes out then they will contact me and i will have it looked at under warranty.

[result]: still the same

Stereo: The CD player skips on all cd's at random intervals.

[dealer]: They cleaned the system and checked it out and it seems to be ok, but if it keeps doing it they will replace under warranty.

[result]: No skip on way home, but it happens now and again, so time will tell.

Front Wheels Catching in Reverse:
On full lock, in reverse the wheels seems to get stuck and its not until you start to move that they release more. Simply put the car into reverse, turn steering wheel as far as you can go and reverse – you will see that the wheel then turns that bit extra where it was having problems. Common problem reported by other club member, it usually has something to do with "suspension top mounts?" that need lubrication if I recall correctly.

[dealer]: Dealer is aware of the problem and said it will need to go back to have this looked at. He thinks that Toyota are bringing out a mod for this and will fit this when it comes out.

[result]: Seemed ok in reverse this time, but im sure its still there.

Loose/Rattley Panels:

Drivers side A Pillar – The bottom of this is loose and can be moved easily by simply pressing on it. The passenger's side is fitted correctly.

[dealer]: I need a new one - being done under warranty.

[result]: happy with that!

Drivers side rear panel (behind ear) – this has been looked at already by you but simply turned out even worse than before.

[dealer]: Same as above.

[result]: happy again.

Centre Console – there is a metallic rattle from the centre console, at a guess around the accessory socket area. However it's probably not that as this was replaced recently due to warranty work and the sound was there both before and after the work was carried out.

[dealer]: They will wait to see what happens with the stereo before trying to fix this, then look at the same time.

[result]: cant complain.

Passenger side speaker/cover. This panel rattles badly even when quiet songs are playing... the speaker is also terrible and constantly sounds like its faulty/blown.

[dealer]: Dealer confirmed that the speaker is f**ked and they will replace it, then also look at the panel.

[result]: happy again!

Drivers side door – this rattles from the part nearest the drivers shoulder. Just sounds like a loose door panel and probably just needs tightening up.

[dealer]: Cant hear it, but would like the car back for a day to check out all the panels that rattle and replace/refit them and put some dampening in them.

[result]: sweet!

Glove Box – ohh, the famous glove box rattle.

[dealer]: Will be replaced under warranty.

[result]: happy as long as they keep the lock.

Drivers side seat belt area – there is a rattle from the plastic surround where the passengers seat belt feeds into the bodywork (by passenger ear).

[dealer]: this will be looked at when its in for the other stuff.

[result]: fair enough.

All in all, i was happy to pick up my car (cleaned inside and out BTW!) and paid £85 for the service... bit higher than some people, but its done now and im happy.

Im now going to drive the car for a week or so then report back to the dealer about how the problems are. Now they know whats what, they will simply be able to order all the parts in and have it done in a day (with me in a courtasy car).

Slacey

Good to see that they are being proactive about all those things, time will tell I guess   s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

how much did you have them cheack   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  LOL

Oh well at least it all sorted and F*** the CD fisher price out off it and get your self a newer one and the same with the speaker but have toyota fit them when you take it back in !!

Saves time and money   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

That's one long list Kris.

Perhaps we should try and prepare a standard list of comman faults that users can access prior to getting their car serviced.

Other issues that come to mind are :-
- Condensation in front and rear lights;
- Hand brake in-effective on a slope;
- Rusty brake discs;
- Bubbling allow wheels;
- Car Alarm siren is crap;
- Soft-top ears / connection of strap;
- Belt tensioner.

Any others ?????????????

Puggman

filcee

Thanks for putting this up Kris, I have the 'A' pillar, drivers door, and the 'behind my head' rattles too.  Perhaps they are standard fit?  I'll certainly be getting the dealers to check these when mine goes in - once I can find a good, 'yota dealer in the South Birmingham area.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Front Wheels Catching in Reverse:
On full lock, in reverse the wheels seems to get stuck and its not until you start to move that they release more. Simply put the car into reverse, turn steering wheel as far as you can go and reverse – you will see that the wheel then turns that bit extra where it was having problems. Common problem reported by other club member, it usually has something to do with "suspension top mounts?" that need lubrication if I recall correctly.

[dealer]: Dealer is aware of the problem and said it will need to go back to have this looked at. He thinks that Toyota are bringing out a mod for this and will fit this when it comes out.

Interesting that they think the current top mounts aren't going to solve the problem, and that we should wait for a revised part.  Might explain the recurring problems some of us are having.  Might also mean waiting a little longer should sort it once and for all.

Anonymous

Is  "Car Alarm siren is crap; " a fault ? Is it not that quiet on all 2's ?

I was considering replacing it with a Toad or Clifford because you can hardly hear it !

Anonymous

Leon,

I suppose that it's a design fault.

The actual siren is ear splittingly loud........ as I found out this summer while looking for a place to re-position it. My head was ringing for at least a day after testing it out of the compartment.

The siren output is reduced by its position under the spare and hidden in the plastic compartment. I initially wanted to move the siren out of the plastic compartment, but I didn't want to invalidate any warrant / insurance issues.

In the end I decide to drill a series of 8mm holes through the underside of the plastic box and just above the standard siren mounting. This lets a few more decibels out and the holes are always hidden from view.

Puggman

Anonymous

Quote from: "puggman"Leon,

I suppose that it's a design fault.

The actual siren is ear splittingly loud........ as I found out this summer while looking for a place to re-position it. My head was ringing for at least a day after testing it out of the compartment.

The siren output is reduced by its position under the spare and hidden in the plastic compartment. I initially wanted to move the siren out of the plastic compartment, but I didn't want to invalidate any warrant / insurance issues.

In the end I decide to drill a series of 8mm holes through the underside of the plastic box and just above the standard siren mounting. This lets a few more decibels out and the holes are always hidden from view.

Puggman

Not a design fault as such, more a idiot error at MRT Uk! MRT Germany fits the alarm under the plastic somewhere and it it flippin loud. Better still it doesnt use any of the limited luggage space where the wheel should be.

I really must take a photo of its mounting position and post it here. Maybe make a sound file too   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

thanks, a photo would be excellent.

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Thanks for putting this up Kris, I have the 'A' pillar, drivers door, and the 'behind my head' rattles too.  Perhaps they are standard fit?  I'll certainly be getting the dealers to check these when mine goes in - once I can find a good, 'yota dealer in the South Birmingham area.

I have all these rattles too... especially in the cold weather we've got at the mo.. it's been driving me crazy!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

out of warranty though, so I'm contemplating taking off the panels and either sticking dynomat behind them, or some kind of double sided sticky foam strips in there.. hopefully that will sort it.

I think the metallic rattle by the stereo is either the 2 bendy flaps of metal either side of the centre tunnel (reach around and up alongside the stereo).. or it's the square plastic surround around the front of the console... I thumped mine the other morning and it stopped making the noise! (very scientific!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Tim

Tem

Tim, you might find these useful, I know I did:
 m http://mr2.stoeni.de/misc/tsb/Nv011-00/ ... eaf2d00df1 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Tim, you might find these useful, I know I did:
 m http://mr2.stoeni.de/misc/tsb/Nv011-00/ ... eaf2d00df1 m

Tem you are a STAR!! Thanks!  s:D :D s:D   I definitely have:

"Cup Holder Buzz Noise" and "Instrument Panel Lower Finish Panel Buzz Noise" - so your instructions should really help me out!

Cheers!
Tim

Anonymous

Going for the old 10,000 service tomorrow at Western Toyota in Dunfermline (was Abercromby until recently)

Noted the following in addition to the £70 oil and filter change   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Additional items to be checked please:

1 – Clutch pedal has started to squeak very loudly when pressed.

2 - The speakers sound terrible and constantly sound faulty/blown.

3 – Glovebox rattles at times during driving.

4 – Driver's door chrome sill plate often becomes loose and has to be re-fixed.

5 – Severe condensation builds up in front and rear light clusters.

6 – A few plastic plugs on rear boot sound lining are broken/missing

Will give a full garage report when I get the car back!

Tem

Quote from: "Parslad"1 ? Clutch pedal has started to squeak very loudly when pressed.

It's probably not the pedal itself:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1066 m

Just say something squeaks when you press the pedal, otherwise they might tell you the pedal is just fine  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: