MR2 just got LOUD!! - Update: CAT Failure

Started by Sam, December 20, 2003, 21:40

mph

Quote from: "Lusaka"Some of the turbo owners can probably give us a more experienced view.
Compression ratio - you're quite right with your explanation.

Quote from: "Lusaka"They didn't say why the pre-cats had fallen apart? Was it age? Overheating?
I've heard an authoritive expert comment that the Toyota CATs are of 'questionable quality', 'cheap' and 'prone to failure'.

My interpretation is that cheap CATs can't tolerate as high temperatures as quality ones, and that overheating a CAT will cause it disintegrate.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "mph"My interpretation is that cheap CATs can't tolerate as high temperatures as quality ones, and that overheating a CAT will cause it disintegrate.

Now I'm worried  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

How much evidence do we have for this, collectively?  The reason I ask is that the exhaust on my '03 is noticeably throatier than it was when brand new.  I thought this was down to it being properly run in now, and the added 'bean can' tuning the sound slightly.  However, given that I spent most of the summer bashing up and down the motorway in that glorious weather, I'm now thinking that the noise might be due to a combination of long runs at speed and hot weather warming everything up just a little too much.  Oh, dear!  I hope I'm being paranoid, and there's really nothing to worry about  s:? :? s:?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Sam

I wouldn't have thought the hot weather would be anything to worry about, given the temperature of the exhaust gases would be a good few hundred degrees centigrade.

I had been worried about the pre-CATs, but other than put a TRD header in or similar I dont know what can be done to avoid this problem.

Lusaka/MPH/aaronjb - Thanks for clearing the compression point up - it was what I thought and I did say it at the time in the garage.

I am going back in next week to collect the paperwork so I will ask a few more questions as to why the cat broke down - I did wonder if it was anything to do with the original particles of metal I found in the air intake pipe...who knows?
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"
Quote from: "mph"My interpretation is that cheap CATs can't tolerate as high temperatures as quality ones, and that overheating a CAT will cause it disintegrate.

Now I'm worried  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

How much evidence do we have for this, collectively?  The reason I ask is that the exhaust on my '03 is noticeably throatier than it was when brand new.   s:? :? s:?

I wouldn't worry to much about this, unless its gotten REALLY loud...?

Anonymous

Like mine lol - all with 7000 miles and 7 months of ownership, i aint giving it to them until she pop's though, i'd miss her too bad.

GSB

Quote from: "bigun007"Like mine lol - all with 7000 miles and 7 months of ownership, i aint giving it to them until she pop's though, i'd miss her too bad.

You mean to say you still havent had anyone look over your car?

You do realise that you are obliged to report any fault as soon as possible so that the damage (and consequently the size of the repair bill that Toyota have to pay) can be minimised?

It wouldnt be the first time a manufacturer has refused to honour a warranty in these circumstances...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sam"I had been worried about the pre-CATs, but other than put a TRD header in or similar I dont know what can be done to avoid this problem.

Indeed, and given the cost of the TRD header (even with a good $ exchange rate), I'm giving serious consideration to gutting the cats from my existing header.

How practical is this? I realise it'd be a permanent thing, but would screwdrivers/chisels/drills get the cats out?

filcee

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"I wouldn't worry to much about this, unless its gotten REALLY loud...?

I can still hear the radio  s:) :) s:)   I'm guessing that this means it's not loud enough.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

markiii

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Sam"I had been worried about the pre-CATs, but other than put a TRD header in or similar I dont know what can be done to avoid this problem.

Indeed, and given the cost of the TRD header (even with a good $ exchange rate), I'm giving serious consideration to gutting the cats from my existing header.

How practical is this? I realise it'd be a permanent thing, but would screwdrivers/chisels/drills get the cats out?

Phil,

take a look on C for gutting the pre-cats, someone just documented it, seems easy enough. I'd do mine now but I'm worried about the warranty. Though since Martins manifold is still in my garage I could always stick that on if it had to go in.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"Phil,

take a look on C for gutting the pre-cats, someone just documented it, seems easy enough. I'd do mine now but I'm worried about the warranty. Though since Martins manifold is still in my garage I could always stick that on if it had to go in.

The guy on SC (hotkoala) who documented the procedure took it down as technically it was an illegal act. (In the states it is an offense to interfere in anyway with any part of a cars emmision control system - even to the point of changing the silencer...)

I did in fact ask him to send me a link to it, which I'll share with any member who wants to PM me...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: