Another oily post..

Started by aaronjb, December 21, 2003, 17:06

aaronjb

Just came back in from washing the car, and checking the oil & coolant etc..

The oil seems a little dark for 2000 miles, certainly dark enough that I can't imagine letting it go 10k before a change. Smelt just a little 'burnt' too, but perhaps not too much to worry about.

But the worrying bit was that the first time I removed the dipstick there was a big chunk of oil 'cake' on it (for anyone who's stripped engines - the kind of oil cake/glaze you get on the inside of rocker covers).  s:eek: :eek: s:eek:

It's a bit worrying that something like that could be floating around in my sump!  s:eek: :eek: s:eek:

Something else to mention to Mr T when I drop the car off on the 6th, I suppose. The paranoid bit of me wonders if perhaps this along with the rattling noise when the engine is hot might point to pre-cat failure.. Maybe if I feel adventurous I'll pop the exhaust heat shield off and whip an O2 out - anyone know if it's particularily difficult to remove the heatshield (I've got an O2 socket etc so that's not a problem)?

Ta,
Aaron the paranoid android.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Maybe if I feel adventurous I'll pop the exhaust heat shield off and whip an O2 out - anyone know if it's particularily difficult to remove the heatshield (I've got an O2 socket etc so that's not a problem)?

I think you can remove the O2 sensors without removing the heat shield IF you have on O2 socket...you only need to remove the heat shield, if you're using "normal" tools to remove the O2...

If you need to remove it, this might be useful:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7252 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Thanks Tem - not sure if my crows foot (rather than slotted-socket) tool will fit in the gap, so I might have to do it their way..

Unless the garage can actually hear the same noises as me, of course, in which case there might be no need to do it at all..

For some reason, I have this burning desire to take the car apart   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Just read this and it sounds a little worrying.  Was the 6th this Tuesday and if so, what does your dealer think?

Regards,
Andy

Tags: