17inch wheels with springs discussion

Started by Anonymous, November 8, 2007, 13:03

Anonymous

Its not the regular question you thought it was..

I come from a honda following, throughout that most and i mean 95% of people that had a honda the general consensus was to fit 15" wheels and lower it 60+ on coilovers, this seems to make sense as its easy on the transmission handles well and fitment issues with large 17s.

Now from partially doing research into Mr2r's I notice from here and on spyderchat that 17's seem to be quite the norm? along with fitting springs tte/tein etc.

Whats the deal with this? Is there some benefit to 17s + spring setup over 15's and coilovers? were the standard shocks designed with lower springs and then changed for the production model? I would never consider putting springs on with standard shocks as its well documented this is crap for handling.

Maybe you guys could shed some light for me ? Rich.

roger

Yes, but what Honda? an Accord   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm ready to be told I am wrong (not unusual), but I don't think anybody has dropped a 2 by 60+. I doubt you would get out of your driveway, let alone traverse the usual street furniture.

And what fitment issues with 17s? As long as you get the right ET and tyre size, the issue is no different from any other wheel.

Springs are cheaper than coilovers, and since TTE make springs and suggest you keep your standard shocks, that's good enough for me.

Crap for handling? You've must never have driven a lowered MR2.

But, yes, there is nothing wrong in keeping your 15s and adding coilovers, it's your choice. Other people have.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Roger some good information there.

And it was Civic EJ9    s:) :) s:)  

Regarding your point about the 17s, I suppose there would be the inevitable 'speed loss' albeit very minor with this, but generally no one used these cause it could sometimes affect the transmission IIRC. is this elimnated due to the MR being RWD? or simply cause it looks good?

Interesting that TTE actually recommend springs with standard dampers, ive never heard of that before, although i can recall Ford sold springs that lowered 15mm for the ST170.

And your right ive never driving a lowered 2, be interesting to see the difference with the 17/spring setup compared to my civic with 15/coils, and then a 2 with 15s/coils. Anyone drove more than 1 setup?

Wabbitkilla

17s are for appearance only.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Liz

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"17s are for appearance only.

And for having more expensive tyre bills, however, I love the rollerskate look!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

TJK

I've put mine on TTE springs and kept the 15" wheels, I think it makes it look nicely proportioned and the handling is definitely better.
[size=75]EX -[/size][size=75] 1999 MR-S - TTE spoiler [/color]- TTE exhaust - TTE style bar - TTE chrome - 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - Adjustable Springs[/size]

custardavenger

Doesn't matter what size wheels you put on as long as you don't stray to far from the original RRR (rolling road radius).

I chose 16" as I the wall height with 17" is a bit too small for me.

So the question is what tyres are you looking to fit on those 15"? I have noticed a trend towards very wide 15"s with low profile slightly too narrow tyres fitted. Can look good but can't believe they do anything for the handling.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

carl_evs

Quote from: "Liz"And for having more expensive tyre bills, however, I love the rollerskate look!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've not found 17's any different in price - it's 16's that I've found to be expensive (I have 16 front 17 rear btw).

But then I always get my tyres 'from a friend of a friend' if you know what I mean!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "custardavenger"So the question is what tyres are you looking to fit on those 15? I have noticed a trend towards very wide 15"s with low profile slightly too narrow tyres fitted. Can look good but can't believe they do anything for the handling.

Not sure yet probably be some Toyo's, but dont really need to worry just now as im sending my car back hopefully.

I have noticed the wide 15's narrow tyres, its called strectching as quite huge within the VW scene, ive noticed it more on a few Mazda MX-5's as well.

Some intresting views on here, alot certinaly contrast over at Hondatech.   s8) 8) s8)

custardavenger

Quote from: "carl_evs"
Quote from: "Liz"And for having more expensive tyre bills, however, I love the rollerskate look!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've not found 17's any different in price - it's 16's that I've found to be expensive (I have 16 front 17 rear btw).

But then I always get my tyres 'from a friend of a friend' if you know what I mean!

17" is a more standard size so not only cheaper but also better range available.

Had to order my rear toyo's from euroland, And will be fitting the stock wheels with track tyres as not many fit 16's.
Project Custard Clicky

fstsven

QuoteDoesn't matter what size wheels you put on as long as you don't stray to far from the original RRR (rolling road radius).

Only partially true: wheel weight does matter a lot for performance as well as handling...
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

custardavenger

Quote from: "fstsven"
QuoteDoesn't matter what size wheels you put on as long as you don't stray to far from the original RRR (rolling road radius).

Only partially true: wheel weight does matter a lot for performance as well as handling...

True. But a 17" can be as light as a 15" depending on model. My rear 16"s are lighter than the stock 15" and are also wider. I would suggest that RRR has more affect on performance.
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

the reason we don;t ADD coilovers is we already have them as stock

now adjustable coilovers is a different issue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "custardavenger"
Quote from: "fstsven"

True. But a 17" can be as light as a 15" depending on model. My rear 16"s are lighter than the stock 15" and are also wider. I would suggest that RRR has more affect on performance.

It's not the total weight that is an issue - more the distribution of the mass relative to the rotational axis. With 17" wheels, the rotating mass is further from the axis, resulting in a noticable gyroscopic behaviour on the front wheels, manifesting itself as a reluctance to change direction.

Hence straight line speed may not be massively affected, but get on track and you will feel a real difference in the corners.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"the reason we don;t ADD coilovers is we already have them as stock

now adjustable coilovers is a different issue

Im assuming from your point here that the standard coils are just a simple bolt on bolt off job? like a whole unit rather ?

I know honda set their cars off, when you replace the stadard jobbies they come of as a whole then just stick the new ones on, no faffing about with springs etc

markiii

kind of, at the risk of stating the obvious (Never owned a honda so no idea what stock suspension is like)

a coilover is a spring that sits over the shock.

we have those as stock

you can replace shock or spring independant of the other.

you can replace them with a single unit that is adjustable

or a single unit that isn't

(that said the single units can be dismantled into seperate parts as well)

however in all cases inc stock they are defined as coilovers
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"kind of, at the risk of stating the obvious (Never owned a honda so no idea what stock suspension is like)

a coilover is a spring that sits over the shock.

we have those as stock

Yeah same as the civic setup. If i ever get round to get coilovers for an MR2, ill probably just change them myself.

Thanks for all your help some good information here.

Anonymous

Hi everyone... I have read this with some interest as I have just bought my wife a 2001 model and the first change will be the wheels as the stock 15's just corrode like crazy...

At the moment she seems happy although several issues affect this car but I will also be lowering Best suggestions please and where to buy... I think a new set of 15's or 16's plus 40mm drop?

Cheers

darbiz

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "darbiz"Hi everyone... I have read this with some interest as I have just bought my wife a 2001 model and the first change will be the wheels as the stock 15's just corrode like crazy...

At the moment she seems happy although several issues affect this car but I will also be lowering Best suggestions please and where to buy... I think a new set of 15's or 16's plus 40mm drop?

Cheers

darbiz

Search button top right will find you many opinions on lowering springs.

My opinion would be 40mm might be very low. 30mm being more usual. Check ebay for Tein springs. There's a good deal from evolution-R on there
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

ChrisGB

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "darbiz"Hi everyone... I have read this with some interest as I have just bought my wife a 2001 model and the first change will be the wheels as the stock 15's just corrode like crazy...

Cheers

darbiz

Search button top right will find you many opinions on lowering springs.

My opinion would be 40mm might be very low. 30mm being more usual. Check ebay for Tein springs. There's a good deal from evolution-R on there

The BC Racing coilovers were set for a 40mm drop when I fitted them. Appearance looked silly at -40mm IMO. Handling was OK and nothing rubbed, but was very close to the ground. Speed bumps would be tricky and any sort of ramp would catch the front end. We even needed blocks to get it on a garage ramp for height adjustment as the nose would not clear.

Rear camber is likely to e well out at that setting also and cannot be adjusted easily.

As for wheels, something light like Rotas would be a good idea. Heavy wheels are not good on a light car.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

heathstimpson

30mm would be best; get yourself some TTE replacement springs which will give you this drop at a reasonable price  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Thanks thats some great advise and I will definately reconsider the optins   s:D :D s:D  I'll check for tein springs... I think thats a good starter and see how it looks on the standard rims before picking out a nice light wieght set

darbiz

Tags: