Your comments please (generic O2s)

Started by spit, December 9, 2007, 15:47

Capvermell

I have a 2002 Roadster that I have been running around in for some time with the engine management light illuminated but the original diagnosis from Abbey Toyota was that it was a faulty oxygen sensor on Bank 1 Sensor 1 but they didn't give me the error code.  I asked them what the code was today but they hadn't kept it from what was admittedly quite a long time ago.  Clearly briliant value for £40 odd quid of diagnosis.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

So which of these reasonably priced sensors mentioned a couple of posts above do I need for Bank 1 Sensor 1?   Is it the long or the short sensor and/or what is the product code.

The car is currently in for some major bodywork repairs and these guys are also attending to annoying things like water leaks and the oxygen sensor at the same time.  At this price it probably isn't worth bridging out the heater circuit with a resistor although I wonder if it wasn't this oxygen sensor that also failed before when the car was four years old and if this heater circuit won't fail yet again some time so perhaps bridging it with a resistor would be better or is that no good on the Bank 1 Sensor 1 unit?   Last time Mr T paid half the cost for the new O2 sensor as a good will gesture (the car was then four years old) as I was pretty angry about the part and labour cost for replacing what is clearly a consumable that needs to be replaced several times in the life of the car.

weddallenko

Brand/Part number/description: Denso Part #: 234-4209 Oxygen Sensor (Pre-Cat)
Purchased from: AutoMedicSupply
When purchased: 20/11/10
Price: $120.84 - about £78. (Excluding £20 customs tax)
Delivery time: 12 days (Maybe less if we didn't have snow)
Ease of fitting: Had to crimp/solder original connectors as the new sensors come with flying leads...

No problems so far...
"One Lady Owner" - So the Clutch is f*cked then...

Capvermell

Quote from: "weddallenko"Brand/Part number/description: Denso Part #: 234-4209 Oxygen Sensor (Pre-Cat)
Ease of fitting: Had to crimp/solder original connectors as the new sensors come with flying leads...

No problems so far...

I don't see the point then compared to offering the same Denso sensor at a cheaper price from a British supplier?  Also I would suggest delivery will be a lot more than 12 days at the moment with the snow and xmas presents going through the mail in large numbers.

weddallenko

Quote from: "Capvermell"
Quote from: "weddallenko"Brand/Part number/description: Denso Part #: 234-4209 Oxygen Sensor (Pre-Cat)

No problems so far...

I don't see the point then compared to offering the same Denso sensor at a cheaper price from a British supplier?  Also I would suggest delivery will be a lot more than 12 days at the moment with the snow and xmas presents going through the mail in large numbers.

Forgot to say the price was for two sensors...
"One Lady Owner" - So the Clutch is f*cked then...

scipio

Quote from: "Capvermell"I have a 2002 Roadster that I have been running around in for some time with the engine management light illuminated but the original diagnosis from Abbey Toyota was that it was a faulty oxygen sensor on Bank 1 Sensor 1 but they didn't give me the error code.  I asked them what the code was today but they hadn't kept it from what was admittedly quite a long time ago.  Clearly briliant value for £40 odd quid of diagnosis.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

So which of these reasonably priced sensors mentioned a couple of posts above do I need for Bank 1 Sensor 1?   Is it the long or the short sensor and/or what is the product code.

The car is currently in for some major bodywork repairs and these guys are also attending to annoying things like water leaks and the oxygen sensor at the same time.  At this price it probably isn't worth bridging out the heater circuit with a resistor although I wonder if it wasn't this oxygen sensor that also failed before when the car was four years old and if this heater circuit won't fail yet again some time so perhaps bridging it with a resistor would be better or is that no good on the Bank 1 Sensor 1 unit?   Last time Mr T paid half the cost for the new O2 sensor as a good will gesture (the car was then four years old) as I was pretty angry about the part and labour cost for replacing what is clearly a consumable that needs to be replaced several times in the life of the car.

is your car idling correctly?
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

Capvermell

Quote from: "scipio"
Quote from: "Capvermell"is your car idling correctly?

Yes its idling fine as per normal and the fuel consumption also hasn't change from the normal level.

Green George

My CEL has recently come on and I anticipate an O2 sensor failure, so have been doing a little research and found Plug and play O2 sensors can be bought from a company caled Lambda Power ( m http://www.lambdapower.co.uk m ) @ £72.99 each (Inclusive or VAT & delivery):

LP040279 - Front / 4 wire / 330mm

LP-40280 - Rear / 4 wire / 640mm

They will replace faulty products for a period of 1 year from purchase.  They advertise that they stock NGK, Bosch, Denso Delphi and Facet sensors.

ChrisGB

Had to buy 2 sensors (bank 1 and bank 2 sensor 1) as I was replacing my PPE manifold with a turbo kit and needed to get back to a 2 sensor set up. Found Denso DOX-0204 on the SparkplugsUK website at £48 +VAT each. Delivery was next day, sensors in and working with no issues.

For anyone looking at the post cat sensor, it is DOX-0206 and is the same price.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

i bought a denso 40 dollar o2 sensor and i still get the p141 heater error every once in a while but it clears on its own in a short while. it hasn't gone into error for a long time now????

Plipton

All 3 of mine (er, the missus's) O2s were knackered so I replaced them with generic ones about a year ago.  Not sure what make or model but the 2 top ones have gone again so I am replacing all 3 to be safe.

Just ordered them from sparkplugs.co.uk for £144 plus £6.70 delivery. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Does anyone know of any O2 bypass plugs for the MR2?  I use them all the time on bikes and generally they run better as the fuelling is nearer the ideal 12.8:1 than the 15-or-so:1 you get below 4000RPM with the sensors in place.

Capvermell

Quote from: "Plipton"All 3 of mine (er, the missus's) O2s were knackered so I replaced them with generic ones about a year ago.  Not sure what make or model but the 2 top ones have gone again so I am replacing all 3 to be safe.

Just ordered them from sparkplugs.co.uk for £144 plus £6.70 delivery. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Why would you replace more than the sensors that have currently gone when the setup on the MR2 is proven to fry sensors repeatedly.   You are not going to make them last any longer by replacing all three at once.

I ran with Bank 2 Sensor 1 failed for several thousand miles and the only difference is that the fuel consumption is 5% to 10% higher than it might otherwise be.  The car still runs smoothly and accelerates as normal.

No other car seems to regularly destroy its o2 sensors in the way the mr2 roadster does.  The fact that Toyota charges the prices it does for these sensors when it is selling them in such quantity is a complete and utter disgrace.

Plipton

Quote from: "Capvermell"
Quote from: "Plipton"All 3 of mine (er, the missus's) O2s were knackered so I replaced them with generic ones about a year ago.  Not sure what make or model but the 2 top ones have gone again so I am replacing all 3 to be safe.

Why would you replace more than the sensors that have currently gone when the setup on the MR2 is proven to fry sensors repeatedly.   You are not going to make them last any longer by replacing all three at once.

I ran with Bank 2 Sensor 1 failed for several thousand miles and the only difference is that the fuel consumption is 5% to 10% higher than it might otherwise be.  The car still runs smoothly and accelerates as normal.

No other car seems to regularly destroy its o2 sensors in the way the mr2 roadster does.  The fact that Toyota charges the prices it does for these sensors when it is selling them in such quantity is a complete and utter disgrace.

I know what you mean - do I spend £150 on sensors which will last maybe 2 - 3 years or accept a 10% increase in fuel consumption (@ £9 a gallon these days FFS!!!)?  In terms of cost it's a close call.  I'd like to get rid of the damn things altogether and use O2 eliminators like I have on my bikes, but for now, as all 3 are either dead or very close to dying, we've decided to bite the bullet and replace.  It will also be nice to have the idle back where it should be too.

Plipton

Well, they were out of stock 2 weeks ago but they arrived today and were fitted this evening.  

One of those specific O2 sensor sockets did for the top ones, but the trusty offset 22mm ring spanner was the order of the day for the post-cat sensor.

A quick 30 minute blast and all OK - the light would come on after 5 mins previously - and the idle is back at 1000 rpm

Job's a good 'un.  Thanks for the link to  w www.sparkplugs.co.uk w     s:D :D s:D

dipper84

Quote from: "Plipton"Well, they were out of stock 2 weeks ago but they arrived today and were fitted this evening.  

One of those specific O2 sensor sockets did for the top ones, but the trusty offset 22mm ring spanner was the order of the day for the post-cat sensor.

A quick 30 minute blast and all OK - the light would come on after 5 mins previously - and the idle is back at 1000 rpm

Job's a good 'un.  Thanks for the link to  m http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk m     s:D :D s:D

Plipton, Which Sensor did you buy? Im looking for one on that site and wondered what other people experiences were? Is the new sensor working fine?

Im fed up of these blasted sensors, my car chews through them like theyre going out of fashion!
Chris >>>>>

Plipton

Quote from: "dipper84"Plipton, Which Sensor did you buy? I'm looking for one on that site and wondered what other people experiences were? Is the new sensor working fine?

I'm fed up of these blasted sensors, my car chews through them like theyre going out of fashion!

I got 2 X DOX-0204 which have the short leads and fit in the manifold and 1 X DOX-0206 for the lower/rear.

They've been fitted for a few days now and so far no problems at all.  Tick-over is back down to just under 1000rpm and no lights on the dash  s:) :) s:)

dipper84

Ah good stuff, Today I hope to switch the sensors around to see if it is the sensor which is faulty rather than the harness? just trying to go through a process of elimination as Bank 1 always seems to go while the others are less frequent.
Chris >>>>>

Capvermell

Quote from: "dipper84"Ah good stuff, Today I hope to switch the sensors around to see if it is the sensor which is faulty rather than the harness? just trying to go through a process of elimination as Bank 1 always seems to go while the others are less frequent.

I think its long been established that it is the heater circuit in the sensors that is the main point of failure and that there is nothing with the wiring looms to the sensors.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 presumably fails the most often as it is the sensor that gets get hottest and/or has the least ventilation to keep it cool when the car is in use.

dipper84

Tidy, Ive just changed the sensor over and had a P0155 suggesting the sensor is duff..... Time to get a new Denso one  s:o :o s:o )
Chris >>>>>

dipper84

Just fitted a Denso DOX-0204 to the car.... lets hope it works as the previous 'new' one which didnt work was a Denso (but it had the longer cable)
Chris >>>>>

dipper84

Put in the new Denso sensor yesterday lunch time and it has once again given me an error code P0155? Why is this? I am getting so annoyed and frustrated with this situation. This is the sencond brand new sensor the car doesnt like....
Has anyone had this probelm and know of overcoming it?
Chris >>>>>

Plipton

Sounds like you changed the wrong one.  Are you sure it's not the DOX 0206 underneath that's gone? My stealer didn't even know this one existed (so I won't be going there again!)

The light will, of course, reset for a few miles so I suspect very much that this is the case with your car.

dipper84

Well I removed the sensor giving me the P0135 and swapped it with the other sensor visable from the engine bay, this giving me a P0155 as expected. Its so annoying that with 2 brand new Denso sensors it has refused to accept. Do I need to 'tune' or program the ECU? I just dont know what to do....
Chris >>>>>

Plipton

Disconnect the battery for 1 hour to reset the ECU - but if there's still a faulty sensor it'll come back on.

If you have access to an ODBII reader it might be worth looking again to check there's nothing else playing up I suppose.

Fingers crossed it'll get sorted. We ended up replacing all 3 as there were 2 intermittent sensors and 1 dead

dipper84

I have an OBDII reader thats how I know whats going wrong. I will have a sensor reshuffle again and see what I gain from that... cant see much but Im lost for ideas.....
Chris >>>>>

Capvermell

Quote from: "dipper84"I have an OBDII reader thats how I know whats going wrong. I will have a sensor reshuffle again and see what I gain from that... cant see much but I'm lost for ideas.....

What happened with your problems on this in the end?

I have just replaced the Bank 2 Sensor 1 sensor (the one on the top of the left of the manifold looking at the engine bay from the back of the car) with a DOX-0204 from  m http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk m  but the engine management light came back on in the end after 300 miles but is now showing the code for Bank 1 Sensor 1.  This sensor is a sensor that a garage doing a lot of work for me replaced with a third party clone only 6 months ago and cut and spliced the wiring on.  I suspect the engine management computer objects to it not being up to OEM spec even though it appears to be largely doing the job given that I now getting nearly 30mpg on fuel consumption compared to 24mpg when Bank 2 Sensor 1 was faulty.

Anyhow I plan to get another DOX-0204 and replace Bank 1 Sensor 1.  I hope that Bank 1 Sensor 2 does not then also turn out to be faulty as if it does I think I will have to enlist a garage to fit one due to the inaccessible location and the fact it is the original nine year old sensor and has never been changed.

The fault on the Bank 2 Sensor 1 was only the heater circuit code so I find it odd that fitting a new one has caused such a drastic fuel consumption improvement even though the engine still ran smoothly and idled ok with the one with the faulty heater circuit.

Tags: