Car stereo harness

Started by Anonymous, December 28, 2003, 12:29

Anonymous

I've got the autoleads harness  PC2-17-4 (all toyota models except MR2 with activespeakers) and the only two plugs on the toyota harness that will fit into the autoleads plugs dont appear to be utilising the same connectors? ie some of the autoleads metal connectors appear unused in the toyota plugs?

is this right?  is it a case of just 'plug and play' and ignore the spare plugs/blocks from the car

any help much appreciated as I dont  want to plug it in a blow anything  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

all sorted   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

yeah there are a few spaces in the loom  but they are just as MR T loom dont match up with normall ISO nothing to worry about

filcee

perry190,

Did this part work?  I have the same bit for my replacemnt H/U, and have just had a look in the car to see how easy it is to match up.  ISO adapter has two connectors (white - seem to go to car loom), car has about 4 that I can see without taking any bits out of the dash.  Which bit goes where?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

of the four plugs only two are the right size for your connector, plug into these and all works fine  :-) :-) :-)

filcee

Thanks!  (Still struggling to remove the plastic covers on the uproghts ... )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

Quote from: "filcee"Thanks!  (Still struggling to remove the plastic covers on the uproghts ... )
Should have given me a shout Phil, I would have come over and given you a hand!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

filcee

Sean,

I know, I know - but I picked up the H/U yesterday and I've been itching to have a go.  I would have rung, but I thought it was v. short notice, plus I didn't know when you were moving so didn't want to get in the way.

There is one last thing, though.  Is there a specific connector on these ISO convertor things for dimming the H/U lighting?  I found the blue + white one to make the antenna go up and down - so got that working.  Now the instructions say the H/U lights will dim once the vehicle lights are on (if I select the setting in the H/U functions), but the setting isn't there although the book says it should be.  I'm wondering if there's another connection I need to make somewhere to 'activate' this?  It's a bit bright otherwise!

Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

Hmmm... TBH Phil I don't really know - the Sony H/U I installed has an option to dim with the lights in one of it's menu's, which I activated and works perfectly with the Halfords loom connector.

filcee

Yep - my new pioneer is supposed to have the same sort of option - at least according to the handbook: "Press this button until DIMMER shows in the menu".  So I press the button, and no DIMMER option. Hmmmmmmm ...  s:? :? s:?  RTFM, perhaps  s:? :? s:?

I need to take it all out again to fit the pocket (which I should pick up today), so I'll re-check the wiring.  Failing that, it's a trip back to Bass Junkies on the Coventry Road to see if they can help.  They'll probably laugh at me too, as they did offer to fit it, but couldn't gaurantee me a time slot this week which is why I decided to have a go myself!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

filcee

The answer was RTFM  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   It is a menu option, but you need to follow the instructions to find it.  For the difference the dimmer option makes with this unit, I needn't have bothered  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

Quote from: "filcee"The answer was RTFM  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   It is a menu option, but you need to follow the instructions to find it.  For the difference the dimmer option makes with this unit, I needn't have bothered  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
My Sony unit has quite a big difference between the daytime and dimmed lighting  s:? :? s:?

GSB

If I recall correctly from my Alpine install, the halfords loom doesnt have this wire connected...

If you take the bigger of the 2 plugs in the Toyota loom, and hold it so you are looking directly into the pins with wires away from you, and tthe locking device at the top, its the pin in the bottom left corner that controls the day/night illumination. This needs to be connected to the Illumination on your new HU.

I'll go out and check the colour of the wire for you so you get the right one...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "GSB"If I recall correctly from my Alpine install, the halfords loom doesnt have this wire connected...
I'm using the Halfords loom and mine dims with the lights...

GSB

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "GSB"If I recall correctly from my Alpine install, the halfords loom doesnt have this wire connected...
I'm using the Halfords loom and mine dims with the lights...

How right you are. Having looked in more detail this was an Alpine problem, in that the illumination lead from the Alpine head unit wasn't part of its ISO loom and so wasnt connected when the Halfords adaptor was plugged in. Hence the illumination wouldnt dim automatically with the headlights. This was cured by connecting the illumination wire from the HU, to the orange wire in the ISO loom from Halfords, which then leads to the green wire in the Toyota loom.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

filcee

It dims when I put the car lights on, it's just not a noticeably huge difference in light output from the H/U.  I'm guessing it's because I have totally non matching blue-white illumination on the H/U.

You can all stop checking for me now - the real problem (as I said) was I didn't RTFM (well I do work in IT, and you know what we say - when all else fails read the manual!)

Thanks everyone for perservering with me on this one.  I really shouldn't do these things as I have now managed to prove publicly what a complete duffer I am at this stuff.  Maybe I should leave well alone in future ....
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

filcee

Another question about the harness. New H/U instructions advise covering the wires.  Most of the wiring loom under there is covered in some sort of plastic shrink-wrap-insulation-tape stuff.  I thought about using insulation tape, but it usually deteriorates into a horrible sticky mess after a while.  Anyone have any other suggestions?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

I think it's recommended as the H/U can get hot, any individual touching wires could be fried. I was worried about this with mine, running four speakers off it with no amp, but it barely gets warm TBH.

If you did want to cover them, you could use flexible electrical conduit, split lengthways so you can open it up and shove the cables in.

filcee

Just been to B&Q to find some flexi-stuff - but none in stock  s:-( :-( s:-(   Bought some leccy tape instead, and will give that a go.  Hopefully it won't end up a sticky nasty mess.

Out of interest, my new H/U gets quite warm when running.  OK, it's brand new so not 'run in' yet, but after an hour with a CD in it the other morning, it were warm!  Fortunately, for now, I've managed to tuck most of the ISO adapter and H/U adpater wiring down under the carpet - blimmin' handy that little bit of velcro down there!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

When using the HU inbulit AMP it will get hot quickly espicaly if your powering high power speakers from this. SQ people dont tend to do this as once you warm up the hu with the amp then all the CD chips and resistors start to give interfearance and dont give a true signal!

but if you use the RCA output it only uses the singal out put rather than power   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: