Outside themometer

Started by Anonymous, January 3, 2004, 09:41

Anonymous

The MR2 is unusual in the Toyota range for not having a thermometer that displays the outside temperature.  My other car is a Peugeot which has a thermometer and I find this extremely interesting and long for one in the MR2.

Has anyone fitted one or does anyone know how difficult it would be?  Do you think it would be a dealer job or a DIY effort?

Anonymous

It adds weight mate! - need to keep the weight down!.

Sorry no help at all really   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I've seen ones that are just a temp sensing sticker that sticks on your wing mirror lense, as the temp changes a diff number shows showing the outside temp...possibly halfords or the like?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"It adds weight mate! - need to keep the weight down!.

Sorry no help at all really   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'll wear a thinner pair of socks then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Yeah, I reckon halfords is a good place to start, off there in a bit anyway to look for one of those magic water slider things - will have a look.

I remember a few years back my mum had one of those sticker things on her car.  It was sort of a bar chart thing and showed the outside temperature.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Yeah, I reckon halfords is a good place to start, off there in a bit anyway to look for one of those magic water slider things - will have a look.

Thanks.  I'd rather the traditional digital readout, if possible.  I'm sure it can't be that hard to find/fit as it seems to be on lots of cars these days.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I remember a few years back my mum had one of those sticker things on her car.  It was sort of a bar chart thing and showed the outside temperature.

I've got one on my fish tank, but it'll only be of use if I'm in the bahamas.  They use liquid crystals to work (each of which react at different temps), but aren't LCD's... though the unscrupulous advertiser may sell them as that.  They don't cost much either.

darrenjuggins

Hi Guys,

Got Mine from halfords last year, after crash (I know after the horse has bolted and everything) but it works really well.

I've fitted mine (Well Stuck it) under the tax disc, the wire feeds nicely round the dash and through the big gap in the wing so it can be fitted to the font wing near the end of the bonnet.

accurate reading and I cringe as I see people gunning up the local by pass at minus 3 - whilst I take it nice and steady get there later, but safer.

should cost you about £16 and come with a clock, silver in colour so dosent look to out of place.

plus has a lumo glow at night when the button is pressed, would suggest your passenger presses it though, whilst you are driving  s;-) ;-) s;-)

hope this helps guys.

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"I've got one on my fish tank, but it'll only be of use if I'm in the bahamas.  They use liquid crystals to work (each of which react at different temps), but aren't LCD's... though the unscrupulous advertiser may sell them as that.  They don't cost much either.
LOL! Exactly what I thought of when I read the first post  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hi Guys,

Got Mine from halfords last year, after crash (I know after the horse has bolted and everything) but it works really well.

I've fitted mine (Well Stuck it) under the tax disc, the wire feeds nicely round the dash and through the big gap in the wing so it can be fitted to the font wing near the end of the bonnet.

accurate reading and I cringe as I see people gunning up the local by pass at minus 3 - whilst I take it nice and steady get there later, but safer.

should cost you about £16 and come with a clock, silver in colour so dosent look to out of place.

plus has a lumo glow at night when the button is pressed, would suggest your passenger presses it though, whilst you are driving  s;-) ;-) s;-)

hope this helps guys.

Cheers

Mr J

Many thanks for the reply.  This helps a lot.  Just a quick question, is it powered by battery?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "phil4"I've got one on my fish tank, but it'll only be of use if I'm in the bahamas.  They use liquid crystals to work (each of which react at different temps), but aren't LCD's... though the unscrupulous advertiser may sell them as that.  They don't cost much either.
LOL! Exactly what I thought of when I read the first post  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wrecking your car and injuring (or worse) yourself on an icy road, to me, is no laughing matter.  I don't have a fish tank so didn't see the funny side of the post  s:? :? s:?

darrenjuggins

Hi,

The unit is battery powered, I think one AAA which is supplied, it alos has a clock on as well (LCD) will give you the inside or outside temp (switch is on the back) you also get the choice of F or C.

Well worth the investment, wish I had before I crashed mine, a costly mistake, but touch wood since I got it back and have gauge I know when to take it easy......

Hope you find what you want, maybe even cheaper in the sale.

Good hunting.

Cheers

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "iandavies"Wrecking your car and injuring (or worse) yourself on an icy road, to me, is no laughing matter.  I don't have a fish tank so didn't see the funny side of the post  s:? :? s:?

I don't have a fish tank either   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

However if you need a thermometer to know that it is freezing outside then there is something wrong with you.

A thremometer cannot tell you that there is ice on the road, the only thing that stops you "wrecking your car and injuring (or worse) yourself" is how much right peddle you give and how much brake when things start to go wrong. Also, driver training is a good idea.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Well worth the investment, wish I had before I crashed mine,

I'm at a loss here. How does a thermometer stop you crashing your car?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"However if you need a thermometer to know that it is freezing outside then there is something wrong with you.

A thremometer cannot tell you that there is ice on the road, the only thing that stops you "wrecking your car and injuring (or worse) yourself" is how much right peddle you give and how much brake when things start to go wrong. Also, driver training is a good idea.

On a long journey, temperatures can change rapidly and significantly throughout the journey, especially at nightfall or when moving towards or away from the coast.  With the heater on inside the car, it is difficult to know just how cold it really is.

Potentially freezing is the important thing here.  I agree that it is bleedin' obvious that it is icy and dangerous when there is snow a foot thick on the ground, or the river has frozen solid, but I am not talking about this.  I am talking about the more borderline cases where it is not obvious.  Knowing that it is perhaps 4 or 5 degrees instead of 0 degrees (which is difficult to tell from inside a heated car) may help me relax a little on long journeys.

Slacey

Quote from: "iandavies"Wrecking your car and injuring (or worse) yourself on an icy road, to me, is no laughing matter.  I don't have a fish tank so didn't see the funny side of the post  s:? :? s:?
Sorry Ian, you've got the wrong end of the stick - I meant that I too thought of the stick-on fish tank thermometers (I used to keep fish as well)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Sorry Ian, you've got the wrong end of the stick - I meant that I too thought of the stick-on fish tank thermometers (I used to keep fish as well)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Never mind.  I was looking for something a little more high-tech.  The solution that darrenjuggins suggested will probably do the trick.  Thanks.

Ian.

darrenjuggins

To answer peters question.....

I popped out last December to a friends and all seemed fine......

about 40 mins later I left and made the mistake of driving round a looped street, which had not been treated, I did about 30 yards from standstill and suddenly found that instead of driving along the road I was actually travelling side ways looking at the fence..... I need say no more than, she looked a mess when she came to rest and my insurance company got off lightly with about £3,500 worth of repairs..........

That particular night was the first of the cold snaps (2002) it had apparently dropped very rapidly to minus 3, the police car that turned up a Rover 25, front wheel drive ploughed stright into the curb when he tried to park..... (doh!) So that sort of put me in the clear for wrecking my car...

Thus purchasing the temp gauge to know the conditions, it can be very deceptive when your nice a warm in the car...... On one journey alone on the A1 the temp went from minus 2 in fog to plus 5 then rapidly dropped again to below zero......

There you go, my unfortunate story, but as people who attended JAE will agree, the garage did an A1 Job of putting my puppy back together....

Mr J
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: