How can I check the precats?

Started by Sam, January 6, 2004, 03:27

Sam

Can anyone let me know how to check the precats?

After re-reading engine failure posts on Spyderchat and here I am starting to think my problems could actually be down to pre-cat failure problem. As the car is not going in to Toyota till Friday I thought it might be an idea to check these before it goes in.

Thanks
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Sam

PS. Not a complete saddo online at 3am!!! stuck at work   s:( :( s:(
Sam

Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Sam"PS. Not a complete saddo online at 3am!!! stuck at work   s:( :( s:(
Not the only one mate  s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

The easiest way is to (very carefully) remove the two O2 sensors from the manifold. Do do this you will require a special slotted deep socket, but once out you can shine a torch in and see the top of the pre cat. Other than that its a full strip of the exhaust from the car to gain sight of the bottoms of the cats, or remove the manifold entirely...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Do you know where we can get the socket from?  I was going to do this myself, but as the car is off the road I couldn't be bothered.

Slacey

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Do you know where we can get the socket from?  I was going to do this myself, but as the car is off the road I couldn't be bothered.
There were some on eBay the other day (I meant to bid, could be useful), I'll see if I can find them again.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Found it here, it states he will only ship to the US, but I have mailed to ask if he would consider shipping to the UK.

GSB

I picked up one from a Sealey tools dealer, It was a Unipart or somewhere similar. One of those places that does exchange clutches and all manner of non OEM car parts... Just about any tool shop should be able to get you one though, or you can order off the web as below:

The Draper part number is 55540, £6.35 for this:

or the Sealey one: SX022 £8.87:

I think the size is 22mm but search on SC for confirmation of this before you buy...

You can order these direct from the Sealey website here:
http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp?parent=1403
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

If there aren't any on ebay, then this should be what you need (almost 99.99% certain it's a 22mm sensor, most Japanese cars are).

I don't think a crowsfoot will fit (which is what the other black sockets under 'Sensor, Oxygen' are), which is a shame as I prefer those. If you find a socket like this just opens up when you're trying to remove the O2 sensor, a jubilee clip around the socket can work wonders..

Aaron

[edit] Darnit, beaten to it  s:) :) s:)  And cheaper ones too.. altho me being a tool snob, like my Snap-On's..[/edit]

(Note, that's Snap-On, not Strap on.. thats just a nasty rumour  s:D :D s:D  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

The ones Grant mention above would be a better bet than the eBay ones - cheaper for a start!

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Thanks for those links chaps. Just ordered one, been looking for a while.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Sam

Same here - I have ordered one. Probably wont get it in time to check the car but it will be useful for the future!

Thanks all.
Sam

kanujunkie

i'm with Aaronjb on this one, get the best buy snap-on, i'm an aero engineer and i only buy snap-on, can't beat it (even though it costs a fortune!)  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: