Alloy Wheel Refurbishments - a solution for you

Started by enid_b, April 4, 2008, 18:11

Call the midlife!

That doesn't seem a bad price to be honest, taking regional variations into account.
No mention of repair/refurbishment of any damaged areas though?
If they're badly scuffed or scratched then just stripping and repainting won't hide any rough stuff.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Smithy

Quote from: Zxrob on January 29, 2020, 09:58
Quote from: Smithy on January 29, 2020, 09:41Good morning all. I know this is an old thread however I just wanted to get some thoughts and comments. My wheels need some refurbishment as the paint is flaking from the back and they have curb scratches ( some quite deep). They are stock wheels 16 and 17 inch and were on the car when I bought it. I knew they would need some attention at some point but I have started looking now. I have been quoted £55 per corner, for a strip down, sand blast or acid dip and repaint. This includes tyres off and on and rebalance in a day. How does that compare with any of you that have had a refurb recently?   

If they are 16" and 17" they are not stock wheels, do you mean 15" and 16"

I have recently had mine done, all four cost me £180, left the car there, picked it up next day, I think £50 seams the going rate, generally though, the larger the wheel, the more you pay

Rob

Oh ok yes I have 16" and 17" but look stock?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

tricky1138

Quote from: Smithy on January 29, 2020, 10:53
Quote from: Zxrob on January 29, 2020, 09:58
Quote from: Smithy on January 29, 2020, 09:41Good morning all. I know this is an old thread however I just wanted to get some thoughts and comments. My wheels need some refurbishment as the paint is flaking from the back and they have curb scratches ( some quite deep). They are stock wheels 16 and 17 inch and were on the car when I bought it. I knew they would need some attention at some point but I have started looking now. I have been quoted £55 per corner, for a strip down, sand blast or acid dip and repaint. This includes tyres off and on and rebalance in a day. How does that compare with any of you that have had a refurb recently?   

If they are 16" and 17" they are not stock wheels, do you mean 15" and 16"

I have recently had mine done, all four cost me £180, left the car there, picked it up next day, I think £50 seams the going rate, generally though, the larger the wheel, the more you pay

Rob

Oh ok yes I have 16" and 17" but look stock?

Quote from: Smithy on January 29, 2020, 10:54Are these stock wheels do you think?

They def look stock. Why do you think they are 16 and 17? Are you measuring them?

What size tyres have you got on?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Carolyn

Some GEN 7 Celicas had 16 and 17 inch wheels.  Very similar to the Roadster in looks.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

tricky1138

Quote from: Carolyn on January 29, 2020, 12:05Some GEN 7 Celicas had 16 and 17 inch wheels.  Very similar to the Roadster in looks.

But are they not 5 stud?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: tricky1138 on January 29, 2020, 12:55
Quote from: Carolyn on January 29, 2020, 12:05Some GEN 7 Celicas had 16 and 17 inch wheels.  Very similar to the Roadster in looks.

But are they not 5 stud?
Yup, I nearly fell into the same trap, I thought the same as Carolyn until I remembered I got offered some last year.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Smithy

Just got home from work and measured my wheels. Definitely 16" front and 17" rear. Do you think they are Celica wheels?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

jvanzyl

So you've somehow got hold of what looks like an exact replica of an OEM but in 17" size... wow.. didn't know that was possible!

tricky1138

Quote from: Smithy on January 29, 2020, 17:51Just got home from work and measured my wheels. Definitely 16" front and 17" rear. Do you think they are Celica wheels?

I still think they are MR2 wheels. I've measured wheels before and they sometimes measure wrong.

What size tyres are on?

H1GRM

Hi,

If you are having them done properly make sure the wheels themselves are "true". Any decent refurb place should be able to check each wheel and correct if necessary.
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Ardent

It is worth checking out the quality of the finished result of those they are working on now.

You only want to do this once. it is better to pay that little bit more and get it done right than go cheap and go twice.

Smithy

This is what I'm up against. Paint flaking and pitting 
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Smithy

Just poor quality paint to start with I feel
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

tricky1138

Quote from: Smithy on January 30, 2020, 09:54Kerb scuffs

They dont look too bad, any decent refurber will strip, blast and repaint them fine.

Also I noticed a tyre size in the photo - 215/45/16 is shown. That means that wheel is 16 inch and is standard size MR2 wheel. I'd still say they are standard MR2 wheels. I'd guess the front tyre will be the correct size of 185/55/15.

Tags: