Front Grill

Started by Anonymous, January 19, 2004, 11:50

Anonymous

I took a look yesterday at removing the front grill.  I see that you have all the clips which are easy enough to get off but it still seems to hold by those little plastic pillars (I think we have 3 that sit in fron of the grill)!  

Are there screws anywhere or are there extra clips?
I've tried a search on spyderchat but had no joy!!

cheers

Viggs

markiii

remove the 2 visible screws and teh centre part of the grill comes out.

on the 03 thats it nothing else comes off.

If you have a pre 03 reach into the opening with a stubby screwdriver and teh side pieces are secured to teh pillars from the inside with another 2 screws each.

The pillars aren't removeable.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

cheers mark!!

I got the centre piece out but wasn't sure if the screws were securing the grill or pilllars!! thanks for your help

I will have to use an extremely small screwdriver!!!!  is it flat or phillips?

do you think i will get away with just tucking the mesh in the small gaps (where the clips are at the mom), and then tie it discretely around the pillars (behind the number plate)!!

markiii

Viggs,

Its a phillips

Securing the grill is going to be a pain if I remeber rightly. Especially as with mesh secured from the back it tends to bow backwards under the wind pressure. Just ask Adam about the monocraft in essen.

Probably the best solution to date is this

m http://www.pelicanracing.com/ssg.htm m

which is the one I have.

Howvever as you seem mid way through a DIOY job perhaps this will help

m http://www.mr2roadster.net/index1a.html m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Viggs"cheers mark!!

I got the centre piece out but wasn't sure if the screws were securing the grill or pilllars!! thanks for your help

I will have to use an extremely small screwdriver!!!!  is it flat or phillips?

do you think i will get away with just tucking the mesh in the small gaps (where the clips are at the mom), and then tie it discretely around the pillars (behind the number plate)!!

I've done my own mesh mod to the front grille. Very easy to do, but you will need to raise the front end of the car up. You can also screw in the mesh using the original fixing points. I haven't had any bowing with mine.

I've done a detailed report. Have a look at  w www.MR2roadster.net w  (I know the site is looking shoddy   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and then go to Modifications to my car   s:arrow: :arrow: s:arrow:   Exterior   s:arrow: :arrow: s:arrow:   Chrome Front Grille

markiii

didn't read my link then Peter?

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "markiii"didn't read my link then Peter?

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I clicked reply before you posted but poped up the shops before I typed anything. Got back, finished replying, then saw your message.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"I've done my own mesh mod to the front grille. Very easy to do, but you will need to raise the front end of the car up. You can also screw in the mesh using the original fixing points. I haven't had any bowing with mine.

Mark,
How fast were we going when my mesh bowed and martin number plate bent?

markiii

well Martin hit 150mph, you and I were doing approx 125 when you speed limiter cut in and seriously shit me up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"you and I were doing approx 125 when you speed limiter cut in and seriously s**t me up.

Did he suddenly start rapidly coming towards you?

markiii

erm yes

Jap GT300

I think it dropped to about 70mph before it let me apply the throttle again.  The car has now been de-restricted, although the engine has also blown.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tags: