How To: FTO Rear View Mirror Lights

Started by wbarrwebster, February 27, 2009, 15:42

wbarrwebster

Requirements for anyone interested.......1 x Mitsubishi FTO internal Rear View Mirror with Map Lights. This is a direct swap as it fits the existing mount  (Well it does on the pre face lift)

Solder iron/solder.

Philips Screw driver..+..Small bladed flat faced Screw driver.

Circuit tester.

3 x 10amp mini horse shoe Fuses.......(bet you need them) If you're gonna do this , suggest you take the fuse out , from memory it was NO 28 on the door box but check it!

1: Pull the lead from the back of the mirror,  it will come off if you press the little catch at the top with a small flat bladed screw driver.

2: Cut off the connector at the end of the curly wire (cut it neat as you can as you'll want as much length of wire as possible.)

3 Take the Dome Cover off........unscrew the 2 x Screws.....and pull the light away from the hole just a little.......just becareful, there is not alot of play in the wires.  

4: Now you have to get the end of the curly wire through from the mirror at the top of the screen.....I actully pushed a small screwdriver between the hole for the dome light and the plastic surround that gave me sufficient space to pull the wire though from the front of the screen.........be careful here, I did it without cracking anything........I take no responsibility if you crack or break anything..........  

5: Back to the back side of the Dome switch.(The bulb side) .....You'll note  two wires coming in, the top one Red  and should be negative...
 the wire slightly below is Red/Blue is live (Both these wires activate the Dome light when the doors open.

6: The Screw on the bottom left is the negative for the Dome light when it's switched on with doors closed.

7: Okay, strip the cover off say 4cms of the curly wire (Mirror) and push them though the back of the Dome light. This is one hole that all the wires will come though.

8: Solder the Wires from the Mirror thus......... Mirror  wire green to Red Dome wire (Top left connection) This is the Negative connecton that allows operation of Dome light and Mirror Lights when Doors Open.

Mirror  wire red to Dome Wire Blue and Red (Postioned slightly down to the left) This is the Live Connection to Dome  and Mirror Lights.

Mirror  wire blue stripped back and wrapped round the bottom left hand screw to earth it. No lose ends......as it'll spark against the other connections if you're untidy.......bin there, done that!!

Push the wires back as tidy as possible at the back of the Dome Light mounting hole, remembering to keep the blue mirror wire wrapped round the earth, screw the mounting back in place.........

9:10amp fuse back in place, confirm it works in all modes .....before putting dome light cover back in place.

Trust this is understandable........As stated previously, I take no responsibility God forbid anything goes wrong., I can only state this is how I did it and am willing to answer any queries.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

OK I fitted this mirror today,it took about half an hour taking it easy and I thought I would add a few pics and observations to excellent guide above.

The fuse is the 1st red one under the top blue one on the right hand side.

Screwdriver creating gap for wiring to feed through,I found I had to strip about 7cm of the cover to avoid interference.

Window slug,jiggle & pull mirror towards square edge which was towards dash on my car.

Wiring through interior light fitting.

Wiring soldered up.

Fitted and working well although I think I will replace the 39mm festoon bulbs with led type for cleaner light.

Linking up threads here,if your FTO mirror is showing its age and needs re-silvering see here:   l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32069&p=391685#p391685 l

Tags: