Battery relocation

Started by FuZZy_gr, June 24, 2009, 09:31

FuZZy_gr

Hi am thinking of relocating the battery not in the front but inside the storage bin behind the drivers seat. Does anybody here done that before? What do you think of the idea?

Wabbitkilla

That entirely depends upon what you're aiming to gain from doing this.

Batteries being batteries personally i prefer them outside of the passenger compartment.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

FuZZy_gr

Im just aiming for a better air flow in the engine room nothing more nothing less   s:D :D s:D

onion86

I dont' think moving the battery will make much difference at all with the temperature as it is in there, and I'd also agree with keeping it outside.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

loadswine

Just from a different angle, mine is in the bin behind the passenger seat, mainly due to no room being available in the engine bay for it. I'd prefer it up front if it could be done, but haven't experienced anything adverse yet from its current location.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "loadswine"Just from a different angle, mine is in the bin behind the passenger seat, mainly due to no room being available in the engine bay for it. I'd prefer it up front if it could be done, but haven't experienced anything adverse yet from its current location.

I think that the driver bin is better than running cables from the front bin towards the engine. and it is easier too as i believe.

custardavenger

Have you thought about a lightweight battery? They are much smaller and may be the best bet. If you are going to put it in the bun I would replace the stock batt with a sealed one.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "custardavenger"Have you thought about a lightweight battery? They are much smaller and may be the best bet. If you are going to put it in the bun I would replace the stock batt with a sealed one.

Lightweight is a good swap but i m going to change the toyota audio in the car and i dont know if a lightweight battery can handle an audio system stable

custardavenger

How much audio are you planning to add?
Project Custard Clicky

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "custardavenger"How much audio are you planning to add?

i just ordered a MB quart pvi 216 and later a sub. nothing extreme just adding quality.

custardavenger

If your only installing an amp for the sub you should be fine with a lightweight battery, Thats is unless you fit a 500w rms bad boy.
Project Custard Clicky

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "custardavenger"If your only installing an amp for the sub you should be fine with a lightweight battery, Thats is unless you fit a 500w rms bad boy.

i think i should finish the audio 1st to see what is my power needs and then decide...

custardavenger

Good plan.
Project Custard Clicky

triz

I would go with a lightweight battery. Unless ou have really crazy system.

Tem

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"
Quote from: "custardavenger"Have you thought about a lightweight battery? They are much smaller and may be the best bet. If you are going to put it in the bun I would replace the stock batt with a sealed one.

Lightweight is a good swap but i m going to change the toyota audio in the car and i dont know if a lightweight battery can handle an audio system stable

Lightweight batteries tend to be better than large ones. They give out more current and some ppl building heavy systems actually use lightweight batteries instead of capacitors these days.

Obviously they run out of power pretty quickly, if you have a habit of listening your system with high volume without the engine running.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dj2k21

hey guys, just to give yet another opinion on this.. my engine compartment is somewhat cramped due to the large exhaist, chargecooler and turbo set-up, as I also have a huge soundsystem I used a SARD battery relocation box to move the standard battery to the front compartment under the bonnett, it looks really well under there, adds much needed weight to the front end for roadsters running big power to help with handling.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

alancdavis

Off topic I know but is there anybody who does this so called "flocking",,,It may be a good option to cover a center console ??
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

dj2k21

autoflock and suffolk flocking services, suffolk did my dash, centre console, door cards, and round my windscreen and things and its fantastic stuff  s:) :) s:)  really pleased with it all
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

SFerrari

I'm thinking of relocating the battery in front of the car, in terms of cabling, just need to buy additional cable with same section and quality and that's it ?
Not speaking about the box and support for the battery, but just about cabling.
No danger of prolongating the cables, side by side, till the front of the car ?

StuC

There was a set for sale here. Not sure if they are still.
Ask dyn-evo if they were cut to length.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Zonda_

Does anyone have any pictures of their batteries after relocation as I'm planning on doing this myself.  I'm moving the battery to put a direct air feed from the side vent.  A list of parts I need would be very helpful too as I'm a complete novice!
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

trevsmr2

There was a post over on spyderchat where the battery had either been lowered in the engine bay ,or moved to the front
unfortunately its an old post and the pics are not there,on this particular thread  

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... ng+battery m

onion86

This is the moving it down to the rear cross member, may have a similar result to airflow without having to move it to the front and buy extra parts  m http://www.midshiprunabout.org/mk3/movi ... ss-member/ m
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dj2k21

Heres mine

Mounted up front  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dan944

To move the battery up front how do you extend the cables? I've not had a proper look at it but its going to I up front for weight distribution. We talking joining the new to old or completely replacing the old?
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Tags: