Bugger! I've lost it!!

Started by Anonymous, June 27, 2003, 13:10

Anonymous

Help!!!

I was chatting to a few people on here about the Sony remote control not long back and someone posted a picture of it fitted to the steering column, but I can't find it now. I have done and search, but I have "lost" the post (i.e. I have looked everywhere, but can't find it cos I am blind!!!)

Whoever it was, could they re[post it again, cos I have received mine now and want some pointers on how to fit it (I know it looks easy, but I remember on one post that someone said it means taking the steering column trim off, wich was supposed to be easy, but two of the screws on mine are inaccessible cos they are behind the wheel!!).

Anyone got a picture?

Cheers

Anonymous

Don't panic.

m http://www.fromage.dsl.pipex.com/remote m

Good luck.

Cheers
J

Darth Paul

Here you go.  s:P :P s:P  

And the yellow circle shows where the jack hole is on the BACK of the head unit. You don't need to remove the head unit – just fiddle around at the back. Run your wire behind and tape it to the inside of the lower steering column, after you've drilled the holes and attached the mounting plate.

30 minutes tops.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

DP

Anonymous

Thank you very much boys!!! Much obliged!!!! Tin of buiscuits and a bottle of shampoo on its way to you!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

I have "acquired" one of the Sony Remotes, if I bring it along to JAE and  after they have fitted it, give them beer, do you think that anyone would oblige and help????
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Cheers guys. Fitted the remote this weekend and its the biz!! Not quite sure about the sticky pad that comes with it (it says on the backing paper its "Extra strong". They lied.........), but the fitting aint so bad. All in all, after trying to fit the jack plug through the hole that I had drilled in the steering column shroud and not getting the size right so having to make the whole ever bigger to fit it through, it went in and all wires are invisible and the rubber pad doesn't look THAT out of place. Just needed to "glue" a couple of corners down and that was it. Sorted. And what a good little piece of kit too. Makes a BIG difference while driving.........

Thanks for the help!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Darth Paul

Rubber pad?  s:? :? s:?  Piccies?

DP

Anonymous

Got no hosting space, so can't get piccies up and I am not sure I would know how if I did! Complete IT nobody me.......

As for the rubber pad, I noticed on your pictures Darth that you didn't have the rubber backing plate that is supplied on yours. I have done a bit of a hybrid of both sets of pictures that were posted here (yours and Jimbob's). He has the rubber backing plate too. You screwed your controller directly to the column shroud and I have to say, yours does look like the more neat solution, but the installation instructions said to use the rubber backing plate, so I did.

If you look at Jim's piccies, the controller "hooks" onto the backing plate, which is sticky. He also has a wire showing, which I wanted to avoid, hence the hybrid of yours and his. I just pushed the wire through the back of the sticky pad and through the hole I drilled in the columd and screwed it in and hey presto, a nice, neat, no wire showing controller (shame about the plate).

I have to say, yours does look the biz without the rubber bit though. I just didn't know how to attach it without the rubber backing. How DID you do it? There are no screw holes in the back of the controller and it just looked like you needed to take it apart to screw it on!

Anonymous

John, if you need to send the pics to me, I will host them so you can share.

e mailto:craig@the3w.com">craig@the3w.com e

Darth Paul

Quote from: "John Woodward"Got no hosting space, so can't get piccies up and I am not sure I would know how if I did! Complete IT nobody me.......

As for the rubber pad, I noticed on your pictures Darth that you didn't have the rubber backing plate that is supplied on yours. I have done a bit of a hybrid of both sets of pictures that were posted here (yours and Jimbob's). He has the rubber backing plate too. You screwed your controller directly to the column shroud and I have to say, yours does look like the more neat solution, but the installation instructions said to use the rubber backing plate, so I did.

If you look at Jim's piccies, the controller "hooks" onto the backing plate, which is sticky. He also has a wire showing, which I wanted to avoid, hence the hybrid of yours and his. I just pushed the wire through the back of the sticky pad and through the hole I drilled in the columd and screwed it in and hey presto, a nice, neat, no wire showing controller (shame about the plate).

I have to say, yours does look the biz without the rubber bit though. I just didn't know how to attach it without the rubber backing. How DID you do it? There are no screw holes in the back of the controller and it just looked like you needed to take it apart to screw it on!

Mine must've had a different mounting kit to yours.  s:? :? s:?  I didn't have the large rubber bit. Instead I had a small metal mounting plate which was encased in rubber. This I screwed onto the steering column (as per the instructions) and the controlled slots onto this.

DP

Anonymous

It seems newer ones have the rubber jobby which does look a bit pants but saves any drilling.

J

Anonymous

Must have been some difference then. Weird no? Like you said Jim, the new ones do prevent drilling (although, to hide the wires, I ended up drilling TWO holes. One for the tiny screw that was supplied and one to get the wire through!!).

I think I prefer the old version to be honest. Looks MUCH neater.

I will see if I can get some pics done and I will give them to Craig to host if you like? Then someone will have to tell me how to post them here!!!

Liz

Shall I take that as a no then for anyone offering to assist fitting mine??  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I thought most men could be bought for a few beers - obviously not '2 owners!!

Anonymous

*In steps Buster*

Buster: " may i help you with that stalk control "
Liz: " oh my hero "
Buster: " all in a days work "
Liz: " how do you do it"
Buster: " Just call it experience "

LOL Sorry but i couldnt resist LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Yeah i will give you a hand at JAE Liz no worries   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  What a gent you are, thankyou!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Sorry Liz, would have given you some pointers, but not able to go to JAE. I want to, but on a Stag Doo weekend then. Can't get out of it as I am chief Usher! Oh well, will give the '2 a wave in my drunken stupor......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: