fitted new aerial but now got crunching noise :s

Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2010, 12:24

Anonymous

Hi,
Right i got my new aerial off ebay and fitted easily and works  s:D :D s:D
BUT....
It fully extends but then the motor still wants to keep extending the aerial so i get a crunching for a good 5 secs and am worried that if i leave it like this it will do further damage.
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers James

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Just a thought, what about re- sitting the aerial?

Take the chrome nut off the aerial ....turn radio on..let the aerial come up ..and pull it out as it hits the top of it's height.

When I put mine back together I put some grease on the white whip, I'm sure some one will tell me this was wrong but it seemed natural to me to give it some lubrication.

Anyway, turn your radio off and feed the whip down the aerial..until it automatically turns off.

This should take 5 minutes, if it don't work, you've lost nothing!

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

cheers for your reply but that wont do anything as already had motor opened and taken out old broken tip and there is no need for lube.
Cheers james

wbarrwebster

James,
While not wishing to state the obvious, you have an issue..the crunching ain't right......Bare with me, IMHO the noise could suggest the parts you bought were possibly either wrong or it wasn't put together correctly,( unlikely I know    s:D :D s:D   ).....it's bin a while since I pulled mine apart so I'm struggling a wee bit  but  as you probably aware, the motor should obviously stop when the mast gets to the top.  

My reference to the lubrication was purely an aside, the base point of my initial reply was to suggest a real quick and easy way of retesting if the aerial  whip was sitting in the cog properly. Retesting will exclude the issue off the possible faults list.

Hope this helps.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Right i have sorted it lads,
I noticed on the new whip it was alot longer then the original one so i have cut a few foot off the whip (very tedious going back an forth trying to check it was right)
Now it gets to the top and the motor keeps running for five seconds but no crunching and it retracts it fine  s:D :D s:D
Cheers james

rabscott2003

mine does this for 30 secs too

Tags: