Facelift Headlights fitted and working PLUS How To Guide

Started by uktotty, August 25, 2010, 23:22

uktotty

Well after a lot of questions and mucking about I have now got 2 fully functional facelift headlights to match my taillights
First position Sidelights

2nd position sidelights and dipped beam

3rd position sidelights, dipped and main beam, just like OEM

Now how do you take pics of lights without flash??
All on!

Anonymous

Should have done a "how to" Russ as I for one would like to know how this is done properly.

uktotty

Already on the case Bryan, just waiting for my mates wiring diagram

kentsmudger

Quote from: "uktotty"Now how do you take pics of lights without flash??
Tripod!

Ok I cheated a bit, there is a flashgun hidden inside the car!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "uktotty"Now how do you take pics of lights without flash??
Tripod!

Ok I cheated a bit, there is a flashgun hidden inside the car!

Or you get smone to trace the outline with a torch   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

intheend

just got my headlights! wooo (after waiting about two months for the other side to arrive   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  )

the 'how to' would certainly help a fellow mr2roc member! although i think i need new bulb holders...

must show gratitude   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   lol

uktotty

Ok here is the guide
2 x lamp holder H7
2 x 5 pin relay
Various crimps
Solder
Soldering iron
Spare cable

remove bumper being careful not to break the tabs off the old light or the new light. Be aware of screws in the wings and nuts behind the front win attached to studs from teh headlights

Pre facelift has 1 bulb 2 filaments
Post Facelift has 2 bulbs (dip and main)
Cut the lapholder off the loom and follow the guide below provided by my very clever mate John Currie

Test it all BEFORE fitting back to the car, take this time to replace the sidelights with LEDs or something new as they are horrile to get to.

Screw the relays to the inside of the wing thus.

test and test again and then reassemble

Hope this helps

uktotty

Better pics

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure this will help some people but I thought it might have been a little more detailed on the wiring pics to be honest Russ 6/10.  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

uktotty

How much more detail do you need, every wire is on the diagram as is the connections to the relay!!
Did you a photo od me attaching each wire to the block?
How would you like it ammended?

Anonymous

No offence Russ but I am not the genius you are so that diagram just looks like an etcher sketch and the pic of the wires is a bit spaghetti junction without arrows showing where they are going or coming from.You have 8 pics of the front of the lights and 1 of the wiring,just wish it had been the other way round.

uktotty

Ok, this is a 5 pin relay

All the pins are numbered.
If the wiring diag says attach yellow cable to 30 then take the yellow cable, stick a crimp on the end and attach it to pin 30.  s:) :) s:)  

I think with the bonnet open and a view of the coloured cables it will all become very clear.
Try it Bry, you may surprise yourself and it cant be any worse than home made hard top strikers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Where is the power coming from and where are you splicing to original wires etc? I just wanted it simplifying so it was idiot proof,a step by step guide with a pic for each step like most of the other how to's would have been good.As for the dig at my temporary side strikers,that's a bit of a pan calling kettle from someone selling tin plate to stick on everything like a Land Rover.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

uktotty

The power is coming from the light circuit!
If you see a red wire going in to your old lights and there is a red wire on the diagram, cut that red wire and connect it to the red wire on the digram, if you see a yellow wire then attach the yellow wire to the yellow wire in the diagram.
I didnt do the diagaram but I am pretty sure its self explanatory your car has all the wires you need to attach to the new lights, maybe this is beyond your capabilities and you should ask a friend to help.
Just replace the photo of the red wire with the diagram of the red wire.

That tin plate is 440 grade stainless steel in case you were wondering.

Anonymous

I always thought these had to have a new 12v feed from the battery to cope with the demand but you have succeeded to do this by just splicing to existing wires which is great,and the explanation helps a little.So am I right in thinking there is 3 wires to the old light you use to wire in the new one with a relay?

uktotty

No live feed from battery required, I also belived that to be the case. This is why there is no live feed from the battery in the etch a sketch drawing.
Just split the old dual filament wiring to the new dual bulb wiring, following the diagram of course.

Anonymous

Do you also need to get and fit a facelift stalk next to the steering wheel as there is 3 light settings?

SteveJ

Quote from: "life of bryan"Do you also need to get and fit a facelift stalk next to the steering wheel as there is 3 light settings?

What are you on about? The stalks didnt change between pre & post

Anonymous

OK,there is just 2 light settings on stalk but three  different lights.I'm trying to get my head round how that works?

uktotty

side lights
dipped beam
Main beam

Exactly the same as the pre facelift

Anonymous

I've only ever used the 2 settings on the left of the pic,does the setting with the fog light do the dipped beam on pre-facelift lights too?How does it work is there a motor?

uktotty

Jesus Bryan what are you talking about?
As you can see from the picture, far left of the stalk.
Off position all lights off
First click Sidelights
Second Click Headlights
Push forward Main Beam
Pull Back Dipped Beam
Pull back again Flash the headlights.

How long have you been driving your MR2 with no idea how to work the lights?
Why would a light need a motor unless it was going to peek round the corner before you turn?

Anonymous

Ah I totally forgot about the "flash" and permanently on "flash" setting.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   DOH feeling really stupid right now,it was the main beam reference that threw me as I always thought the normal night light was main beam.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   So on facelift lights its the little light at the top that does the main night lighting?

*andy*

Just got my facelift lights today and this guide will come in very useful! Makes it seem very easy!! Thanks Uktotty!

Just a quick question though, can you remember what thickness of wire you used? Going to order some online and the size you used looks perfect!

Anonymous

What was the cause of this Russ    l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31072&p=379586#p379586 l   was it associated with this fit or just coincidence?

Tags: