16" Wheels

Started by PeteT, May 14, 2011, 21:44

PeteT

I've posted this i performance related forum as i dont want to affect the handing of my car.

This is an idea at the moment.

I am thinking of buying a pair of 16" stock wheels to replace the stock 15" front pair. I have a 2003 face lift mr2 with the 16" rears.

Has anyone done this?
Does it affect the handling?
If so what tyre sizes are suggested?
Pete

Anonymous

I'm sure it's been done but you have to unscrew the little stoppers in the back of the wheels that prevent backs being fitted to front hubs which is no big deal and I think you have to have wider wheels front and back either 215/235 or 225/245 but I could be wrong with these sizes.

Anonymous

205/225 i think as 225 about max for a 7j which they are arnt they ??

AC

Hey Pete, this is exactly what I'm planning.  Already have the 16's, now looking for a decent wheel refurbers in Manchester area.

I understand this has been done before, certainly I got the impression from a previous thread http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32097.

Tyre width wise, I was planning with keeping my current, which is 195's on the front and 225's on the rear, obviously the fronts will change from 195/50/15 to 195/45/16 which does change the rolling radius slightly but actually brought it back closer to that of the stock 185/55/15 that Toyota started with, when I looked on the Toyo website.

I am presuming a 7J wheel will handle a 195/45/16???

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

PeteT

Quote from: "AC"Hey Pete, this is exactly what I'm planning.
Ours cars really are twins, apart from whats hidden under the engine lid  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "AC"I am presuming a 7J wheel will handle a 195/45/16???
I think there is a website that shows you what can and can't be used. I'll see if i can find it.
Pete

roger

Quote from: "PeteT"I think there is a website that shows you what can and can't be used. I'll see if i can find it.

The Toyo website for T1Rs shows what their tyres cover.

Whether they would be different for other tyres, don't know, may depend on construction.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: