Converting to LHD column stalks

Started by Anonymous, February 26, 2012, 00:34

Anonymous

Is it possible to convert to LHD lights and wipers stalks easily?  Always felt it a shame that Toyota went European with the column stalk layout. Any advice appreciated.

Steve Green

I asked this some time ago, cant find the thread, but the answer was no.
I have two toyotas, one the complete opposite of the other. I have found that indicators are no substitute for wipers when its raining.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

I think if you get the rhd version stalks their should be enough on the cables to convert

Anonymous

Being the public spirited soul that I am (and having some in stock  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ) Ive just spent the last 45 mins trying to prove this theory.
It all works fine, plenty of cable to fit easy, till you try to plug the light switch arm into the left plug. It doesn't fit, because its a different shape, because it contains the rotary fog light switch!
Im sure its possible, but the plug that goes with the switch unit will need to be transferred over and adapted onto the loom.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dick2ski"Being the public spirited soul that I am (and having some in stock  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ) Ive just spent the last 45 mins trying to prov this theory.
It all works fine, plenty of cable to fit easy, till you try to plug the light switch arm into the left plug. It doesn't fit, because its a different shape, because it contains the rotary fog light switch!
I'm sure its possible, but the plug that goes with the switch unit will need to be transferred over and adapted onto the loom.

Thanks for this - are you saying that the JDM light stalk doesn't have the fog lamp switch built in like the UK stalk?

Anonymous

By the sounds of it yes, but it that is the difference in the light stalk apart from being on the other side, all you need to do is change the plug on the loom so not a hard mod.

onion86

Quote from: "Starfish"
Quote from: "dick2ski"Being the public spirited soul that I am (and having some in stock  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ) Ive just spent the last 45 mins trying to prov this theory.
I'm sure its possible, but the plug that goes with the switch unit will need to be transferred over and adapted onto the loom.

Thanks for this - are you saying that the JDM light stalk doesn't have the fog lamp switch built in like the UK stalk?
JDM pre-facelifts didn't have fog lights (they're installed on import) so nothing on the stalk.
I take it JDM facelifts have the front fogs, I've not driven my new car in a while so can't remember if the stalk or the button controls the fronts so there's a chance they have nothing on the stalk either?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Quoteall you need to do is change the plug on the loom
Correct, but where do you acquire this from? Youll need to chop it out of an MRS loom. Or butcher the existing plug to fit. The pins will be in the same place, just with one void I imagine. There are two grooves down the back which are located slightly differently to avoid a mix up. Chop them off, plug in and see what happens.

Tags: