Aftermarket Aerial

Started by Jepson246, April 3, 2012, 14:47

Jepson246

So my electric aerial is broken  s:( :( s:(  will be a cost of atleast 70 from a gargae for a new aftermarket electric aeril and 250 for a proper toyota one.

So i was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket sort of bee sting aerial i could put on the car and if these are easily fitted??

A link to one would be great and also if they just fit straight on as i have seen these on ebay but am unsure if they will infact fit!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-BULLET- ... 1c25763f27 m  

Hannah
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

onion86

Search and yee shall find answers  s:) :) s:)   l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34541 l

I'm not sure about the eBay one, but note that you will get poor radio reception with all of the shorter aftermarket aerials so if you do listen to the radio then a stock replacement is really the way forward. Trying to pick up a 2nd hand one might be the best bet as £250 is a little excessive!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

aaronjb

To fit a non-electric aerial you'll need a new aerial base (inside the wheel arch liner) from Toyota to suit (they make one, part number is probably on here somewhere).

Or there's always Justin over in the US who made the original shorty antenna, though he's out of stock of the conversion part (but at least you can see what the bit you need from Toyota looks like) and only has the antenna itself in, right now:  m http://takubanmotorsports.com/index.php ... duct_id=69 m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Jepson246

Cheers,

Looks abit more expensive than i was hoping!!
Might have to just get the aerial half up then disconnet the motor so it is always part up. untill that annoys me then i may have to get a conversion kit. as my aftermarket HU makes the aerial go up and down when the car is switched on and off!  s:P :P s:P

Thanks guys.
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Anonymous

put in a switch then!

Mad Bob

What exactly is broken on it? The motor, the mast? There are plenty of fix posts. A mast on eBay is only about £20 with a quick search.

m http://bit.ly/HUmObx m

Or as suggested, add a switch. I just put one in one of the blanking plates to the left of the steering wheel.
Converse Boot!

carlclarke

I bought a 52 degree replacement amplified Golf aerial (eBay new around £14), comes with a standard threaded base so you can swap shorter or longer masts. I did try replacing the mast on the original Toyota motorised unit but it did not cure the problem of not extending or retracting properly. To fit the Golf unit I sawed of the very top of the Toyota casting, it is curved to fit the inside of the body panel, has three raised pips and a rubber seal. I used this with a suitable large washer to fix the aerial. I retracted the original wiring by removing the side vent and the rear drivers side storage door + base. I fed the new wire through and along the same route as the bulk of the wires follow under the centre console right up to the head unit.
The hardest part was tightening the bolt under the body panel and getting the aerial angle looking right, it is inclined to the rear slightly and does look cool now.

Jepson246

Cheers for all the replys,

Think i may buy a new aerial if one comes up cheap on ebay like the one in that link!

Then wait for a nice full day of sun  s:) :) s:)  and give fitting it a go  s:) :) s:)

Then get someone to fit a switch as that does seem too complecated for me  s:P :P s:P  lol

Cheers, for now the motor will just stay off.

Oh and its the mast that is broken as the motor still goes, and it goes up then gets stuck.
[/size]

mikecobra427

Quote from: "Mad Bob"What exactly is broken on it? The motor, the mast? There are plenty of fix posts. A mast on eBay is only about £20 with a quick search.

m http://bit.ly/HUmObx m

Or as suggested, add a switch. I just put one in one of the blanking plates to the left of the steering wheel.

+1

My g/f's car aerial was going up then making a clunking noise for a few seconds and had to be helped to go back down again. I initially tried a fix in which you open up the motor and melt the end of the plastic 'tail' and this worked but was only temporary.

I then bought one of the ones from the above link (or something very similar) and it took about twenty minutes to swap over. It has been working a treat for a good while now.
The only issue I have is it is not as good quality as OE part and is no longer as shiny as it should be but it picks up radio two so er indoors is happy.   s:) :) s:)  

Mike

Jepson246

I have had a new mast put it however th problems are not totally fixed, the aerial goes up and down as it should, but once the aerial has fully extended it makes a rather horrid grinding sound for about 10 seconds afterwards.

Am i right in thinking i can pull the aerial mast out whilst the motor doing this and melt a ball onto the end of the white thread inside and then feed the aerial back in.

Can this be done without taking the wheel and arch liner off and taking the motor off??

If so i shall be doing this tonight if this is not possible then i shall disonect the relay for the aerial  s:) :) s:)

Hannah
[/size]

Anonymous

no has to be done inside with the mast fitted. you will have to follow the how to guide im afraid. otherwise you will just have to live with it

Jepson246

Owwww, ok then tonight i shall simply disconnect the relay and wait for a day off (that isnt ruined by rain) to do this  s:) :) s:)

Cheers   s:) :) s:)
[/size]

Tags: