Dev's famous covers - do they all go like this?

Started by AckersMR2, July 30, 2012, 20:18

AckersMR2

Ok so most of us have fitted these so most of your should have an answer?

Do they all go like this after 4 months?

To be honest in the light I thought the paint was a little thin in places when I got them but didn't say anything and although I do like to keep the car clean I only use car shampoo and a lambs wool mitten, not a scouring pad and a screwdriver!

Now removed, the keyhole looks better  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

Mike_V

Yep, thats normal, they are made of rubber so they flex and need repainting every now and again.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Mike_V"need repainting every now and again.
Or every 3-4 months apparently  s:? :? s:?
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Mine are fine after a couple of years.

Chris H

Quote from: "life of bryan"Mine are fine after a couple of years.

Same here....  s:) :) s:)

Mike_V

After 12 months I've had to redo mine once.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

DannyN

There have been a couple of revisions from Dev
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

AckersMR2

Quote from: "DannyN"There have been a couple of revisions from Dev
what in the last 4 months?
My only car is a Ducati 

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Chris H"
Quote from: "life of bryan"Mine are fine after a couple of years.

Same here....  s:) :) s:)

Mine too, after a couple of years I just replace them.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

jjr197

2 years and no problems with mine.
"If you're driving with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name!"

DannyN

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "DannyN"There have been a couple of revisions from Dev
what in the last 4 months?

No I meant over the years.  He has refined the process to make them last longer which doesn't seem to have worked for you
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

JudoKilli

Mine are looking cracked after a year or so. No paint peeling as of yet though.

2 of the left

Never got them - Only way into my 2 is by key!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

onion86

I had them on the MR-S about 3 years and they had a little cracking in places but no peeling. New ones I've had since January and they're still good as new.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

lemans

Mine are still good after several years, with maybe a hint of fine cracks just appearing this summer.  I noticed mine after coming back from France when my car was left out in the sun a lot.  Car is normally garaged so hot sun could be making the rubber flex and paint crack. I got worse cracking on my front bumper last year after a holiday in Italy, so I would say the sun could be a big factor in the cracking on your keyhole plugs.
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

AckersMR2

Quote from: "lemans"so I would say the sun could be a big factor in the cracking on your keyhole plugs.
If we'd actually had a summer yet this year i'd be inclined to agree with you  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Quote from: "lemans"Mine are still good after several years, with maybe a hint of fine cracks just appearing this summer.  I noticed mine after coming back from France when my car was left out in the sun a lot.  Car is normally garaged so hot sun could be making the rubber flex and paint crack. I got worse cracking on my front bumper last year after a holiday in Italy, so I would say the sun could be a big factor in the cracking on your keyhole plugs.
I'll let you know on that theory when I get back, not had a day below 30 degrees so far   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dcod

Mine have gone like that after 4 months. Thought I was the only one. The sun most certainly didn't do as they went like that during the 3 months of cold and rain.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

MisterK

Had mine since January & still like new.  Mine are Astral Black & car kept in a garage.  Is it a specific colour that has the problem?
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

dcod

Quote from: "MisterK"Had mine since January & still like new.  Mine are Astral Black & car kept in a garage.  Is it a specific colour that has the problem?

Mine is black.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Anonymous

Dev is a nice guy but I don't think his products are up to standard. I've not got keyhole covers as i was happy with the lock, but if it is sprayed rubber then it will always crack and flake. If it were to be more lasting then it should be at least a plastic.

Wabbitkilla

Mine may be an earlier version and they're made of thermoplastic (injection molded), there is a bit of flex in them, but when they're on the car there should be no movement to cause the paint to degrade. The only reason they go like this is because they get washed and polished .... but then if you're looking after your car that's recommended.

With you on that rbuckingham, nice guy but I've lost faith in his products. Saying that I'm more than happy to refresh my "covers" annually, for the price it's ok.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Cracking often occurs if plasticizer isn't used in the paint mix.

lemans

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "MisterK"Had mine since January & still like new.  Mine are Astral Black & car kept in a garage.  Is it a specific colour that has the problem?

Mine is black.

Mine are black too. Must be the best colour then  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

andibell

Had mine for around a year, they're the moulded plastic ones too.  One has a slight mark, which was of my making, but apart from that they're great condition.  My car is kept in the garage and not driven too frequently though.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

Tags: