Door pull / handle

Started by andibell, August 2, 2012, 11:23

andibell

I've been thinking about removing / replacing the interior door pull handles - I think they look a bit too big and clumsy and aren't exactly the high-point of the interior.  Been trying to think of what I would put in their place; came up with an idea this morning; this is a temporary knock up:

From this:

To this:  

What does everyone think?  Worth pursuing?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

Jay67

I still like the idea but how are you going to carry your handbag now?  s:D :D s:D
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

andibell

Quote from: "Jay67"I still like the idea but how are you going to carry your handbag now?  s:D :D s:D
I'll just have to use the small handle and not put it over my shoulder   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jay67

have a look at guitar straps, plenty of choice there
Jason

Anonymous

Not my cup of tea prefer the stock look

andyroo104

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Not my cup of tea prefer the stock look
+1 Really cannot see how that looks better than stock!!
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

carlclarke

I can't say that I like the look of the belt idea but I can understand that the handle's appearance could be modernised. A little 'tweak' could be to replace the rubber bit with a leather sleeve and repaint the silver - maybe black or a CF finish. I think that if you really want to change it then you would need something more 'designed' and expensive such as a complete new CF part or to remove it completely and extend the arm rest all the way to the speaker grill and include a recessed handle in the top and a blank to cover where the existing handle locates under the tweeter.

AckersMR2

Don't like it, but may I suggest an alternative?
Would turning the dimpled arm rest part of the door into some sort of moulded integrated handle work and then fill the holes left by the original bar?
My only car is a Ducati 

carlclarke

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Don't like it, but may I suggest an alternative?
Would turning the dimpled arm rest part of the door into some sort of moulded integrated handle work and then fill the holes left by the original bar?
Great minds think alike  s:?: :?: s:?:

AckersMR2

Quote from: "carlclarke"
Quote from: "AckersMR2"Don't like it, but may I suggest an alternative?
Great minds think alike  s:?: :?: s:?:
Yeah, I started typing it, then went off to make a coffee, finished it off and posted. in that time your, may I say, fantastic idea went up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I think extending the armrest to the speaker is unnecessary extra work and you would lose that "oh so handy" pocket  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

carlclarke

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Yeah, I started typing it, then went off to make a coffee, finished it off and posted. in that time your, may I say, fantastic idea went up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I think extending the armrest to the speaker is unnecessary extra work and you would lose that "oh so handy" pocket  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Maybe the pocket could be retained but with a smaller opening? I agree that the pocket is very useful and storage space on the MR2 is scarce. I can imagine a nice blanking piece that covers the top handle mount and incorporates the tweeter as well. I can imagine a big expense for doing it properly too!

andibell

I think I agree, I'm not making things better, but I'm still not sure I like the oem part - it looks too big and chunky on such a small, lightweight car.

Maybe something of a similar design to the original, but slightly thinner diameter, or just all in black would at least make it less obvious and sticky-outy...

markiii

carbon wrap?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

andibell

Quote from: "markiii"carbon wrap?
I've got some left over, so could give it a try. Just done the arm rest bits, hide the simples quite well.

andibell

What do we think?  Wrapped or not?

AckersMR2

Wrapped  s:) :) s:)
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Quote from: "andibell"What do we think?  Wrapped or not?

I tried wrapping that bit. Now try the top elbow. Its a beach!

Jay67

i like the idea of the carbon wrap, tones the handle in with the door but like D!ck says, good luck with the top elbow, if you manage to do it I'll let you do mine  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

andibell

Quote from: "dick2ski"I tried wrapping that bit. Now try the top elbow. Its a beach!

I concur; that is an absolute PITA    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

thekickinside

spray it black? - or better still spray it black then lay liquid latex over it to give it a tactile feel al-la audi

AussieSpyder

Unfortunately for my partner he has long legs and that handle seems to squash him in so we've had to remove it and that strap has given me a project to work with Thanks Heaps   s:D :D s:D
[centre]00' MR2 Spyder ZZ30R...MINE
03' RAV4 Cruiser...HIS
87' MR2 AW11...In Progress[/centre]

[centre]http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=75861[/centre]

andibell

Quote from: "AussieSpyder"Unfortunately for my partner he has long legs and that handle seems to squash him in so we've had to remove it and that strap has given me a project to work with Thanks Heaps   s:D :D s:D

One of the reasons I wanted to remove it too, although I'm not very tall, it always feels like its in the way.  I've now tried spraying one black, which looked better and also pushes it back visually.

I think rather than having a strap following the path of the stock handle, a small pull strap coming from the top opening might look better; something like this:  

Anonymous

Would removing the rubber 'grip' help slim the handle or open up design ideas? just a thought.

IMO i like the handles the way they are, infact its one of the style features i liked about the car in the first place, even if they are cheap to the touch.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Carbon RX"Would removing the rubber 'grip' help slim the handle or open up design ideas? just a thought.

IMO i like the handles the way they are, infact its one of the style features i liked about the car in the first place, even if they are cheap to the touch.

Rhon makes some nice leather wraps to go over the rubber bits.

andibell

Quote from: "dick2ski"Rhon makes some nice leather wraps to go over the rubber bits.
Thanks; I'll drop her a PM

I had a go at spraying one black yesterday; looked better than silver (IMHO) but still not as good as I'd like.

Tags: