Hardtop fitting help

Started by matt29, August 11, 2012, 13:45

matt29

Hi

Tried to fit a hardtop to my wife's MR2 this morning. I followed the Toyota fitting instructions exactly and everything went fine until it came to fixing the roof on. Roof is hooked into the rear brackets, locked into position with the front clamps, but the side clamps won't fix down and just spring back up. Its as if the clamps aren't pulling the roof down enough for the clip to hold the handle in position. I've tried the adjuster on the clamps and it still won't adjust far enough. Also tried adjusting the side strikers to compensate but they are fitted as low as they will go.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Have I missed something blatantly obvious?

Jay67

have you tried adjusting the side clamps via the hexagonal adjuster inside them that's hidden under it's own plastic locking clip? I believe there's some slight adjustment can be done to the posts themselves too.
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

matt29

Tried the hexagonal adjuster and also loosened the bolts on the posts and adjusted these as much as possible. It's as if the posts need to be located lower but there's no more adjustment in them

frogger

Check your correctly 'hooked' into the silver hooks at the back of the hardtop, on both sides.

If they are hooked in properly - you probably need to adjust the angle that your side strikers are bolted in at (I assume you have only just bolted on the side strikers?).  The side strikers have two bolts, one of which sits in an elongated hole to allow adjustment for this very situation.

matt29

Roof is correctly hooked at the back. I removed and refit the roof several times to confirm this. I will have another go at adjusting the angle of the strikers.

In the installation instructions it mentions using a different bolt if the side lock lever isn't fixed properly. I don't have the alternative bolt so cannot try this, but I don't see how it can make any difference as the instructions label both bolts as being M8 x 22mm

matt29

Toyota have ordered me these alternative bolts and will be here on Tuesday. For 88p a bolt it's worth a try

Treboeth

If you post up your location there may be someone close who could have a look with you.

BTW Hardtop in this weather  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

matt29

Should edit my profile shouldn't I. I'm in Salford, Manchester. Someone slashed the roof last weekend trying to break into the car so easiest option was to put a hard top on and replace the soft top in the future. Didn't want to replace the soft top (£900!) for it to happen again

Anonymous

Im just by Ikea in Warrington, about 15-20 mins from you. I have fitting kits and hardtops here if you want to try swapping stuff around to check if something isnt right. Happy to help if I can.

Jay67

If you do find a cure let me know, mine started popping last year and I settled for cable ties
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Gif

Stupid question but ask the obvious first, have you got the right and left strikers on the correct sides of the car, they are handed (marked R & L when viewed from the rear IIRC).
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

matt29

Already made sure they are they right way round, they are  s:) :) s:)

I'll see if these other bolts make a difference on Tuesday and report back. If they don't would be great to have someone check it over and try different parts to check. Can't see how the bolts will make a difference though as surely they will just fix the strikers in the same position.

Treboeth

Honestly you are that close to D!ck you may as well go for a spin tomorrow and get his opinion, he knows a bit about 2`s  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

matt29

Yeah isn't far at all. Unfortunately I'm working all day tomorrow so won't get the chance. Will take up the offer though if I don't sort it on Tuesday  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Im semi retired, so here most of the time.

StuC

There is another fix which involves takin the clamp apart and cutting down the studs to allow for more adjustment.
Personally I would take up D!ck offer first though.

D!ck do you have another hard top too, to trial?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

trevsmr2

Watching with interest ,ive got the same issue

took my brackets off ,and theres no way they will lock the same as the fronts ,because theres nothing for the clip to clip to?

this is the front one ,and when closed theres no gap ,until you press the catch

this is the rear one ,when closed theres still a gap ,so nothing for the catch to catch on and lock????

matt29

Exactly the same as mine mate. The gap does shorten as the clamp pulls the roof down onto the car, but it doesn't pull it down enough and it's as if the side strikers need to be installed lower
I'll keep this thread updated and hopefully will find a solution

matt29

As expected the new bolts from Toyota have made no difference.

D!ck I've sent you a pm (I think). Let me know if you have got it.

Cheers

AmeR

D!ck is on suspension at the minute (details in the club announcements section)

Anonymous

Again! lol his help here like my own thts needed will be missed....

AmeR

Quote from: "Carbon RX"Again! lol his help here like my own thts needed will be missed....

Plenty of knowledgable members on the forum. We're not limited to just one

Anonymous

Im not saying he is the only one, but he is the only one who has made a very kind offer as above and who may have a spare set of HL's for sale that im currently after, i had wondered why he had not posted on my request thread, it seems when ever i need a part(s) he has broken t'blooming rules. I come from a forum with almost no rules including swearing, if you dont like it dont go on there attitude is maintained and everyone loves that fact! I dont want to go into all that Jazz nor do i want to hijack this thread so will say no more.

matt29

That's typical. Don't suppose anyone else has any suggestions do they?

Other than using tie wraps or cutting the studs to see if they solves the issue, I'm a bit stuck!

Wabbitkilla

One of mine is a bit weak too, it appears these latches seem to stretch over time / abuse.
I suspect the only real cure is to find some replacement latches, either new from CTP or Toyota or from a wrecked hardtop.
I even ended up with a cable tie just keeping the latch engaged one winter ... i.e. to keep it snapped shut.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: