Hardtop fitting help

Started by matt29, August 11, 2012, 13:45

StuC

Quote from: "matt29"That's typical. Don't suppose anyone else has any suggestions do they?

Other than using tie wraps or cutting the studs to see if they solves the issue, I'm a bit stuck!

Cutting the studs will work as it will give you more adjustment. However taking Wabbit's point, it will prolly only cause more stretch. The effect of more strain on the fixings bonded to the hardtop is unquantified as far as I know. I am not sure how close to the limit it would put the fixings bonded to the hardtop.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Wabbitkilla

Actually, thinking aloud.

The latches on the soft top that latch it to the windscreen surround are very likely the same as the ones on the side of the hardtop.
I'd like to bet there are a few lying around breakers, or people who have replaced soft tops.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

matt29

Replacing the latches sounds a good idea. I'll see if there's any difference between the top and side latches. If there isn't I'll take the two off the soft top if I can and try those

StuC

I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone tried to take the hardtop latches off and didn't have a huge amount of success. Let us know how you get on, if you go down that route.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

loadswine

As I recall, the bolts are pretty tight and are threadlocked. Make sure you use a good quality tool to undo.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

I'm pretty sure the front and side latch housings have different profiles and mount points. I would confirm this, but I'm mid ice-cream and don't want it to melt!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

trevsmr2

Quote from: "matt29"That's typical. Don't suppose anyone else has any suggestions do they?

Other than using tie wraps or cutting the studs to see if they solves the issue, I'm a bit stuck!

ive cut mine ,and no difference ,ive even swapped over the catches from a front set ,no difference
the only way i can see these working is to weld a blob on the end ,to make the catch slightly larger ,
theres no adjustment that allows this gap to be closed

trevsmr2

Front and side catches are different ,different shape and longer hooked bit ,,ive tried

this bit is longer on the fronts ,so you cant even swap that over

Jay67

had a look on the parts list and the front latches are sided (left/right) and different to the side ones (same latch either side)...all of them stupidly expensive too!
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Anonymous

matt29

Out of interest how much are the side latches?

Jay67

could only find them listed with a price on  US sites and a German one, US is listed at approx £65 & the German one £124, both not including taxes and shipping costs...no idea what Mr T might charge but I'm guessing they won't be cheaper!
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

thekickinside

Having just fitted a hardtop I cant see the latches 'stretching' they are pretty solid pieces of engineering!

Nor can I see how you would get the mount kit on wrong really - if you tightened the latches up to much I guess it might pull them down - i would suspect more wear in the pivot pin/bearing (without taking one apart I wouldn't know which)

I am in north Staffordshire/south Cheshire - if you want to pop down we could swap tops and see if it appears to be top or mount related and also try measuring things to see if we can narrow it down?

loadswine

Sometimes the rear latch points can get bent and out of alignment if the top was removed awkwardly.I've seen a couple like that. That could easily upset things. Might be worth a look.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

househead

It pains me to resurrect a 7 year old thread, but I'm having this issue with my hardtop side clasps. Did anyone find a solution? For now I'm using folded up pieces of card between the clamp and the release latch. I'll probably "upgrade" to some zip ties but it would be nice to have it proper.

I, like others on this thread, have checked correct sides, checked rear mounting clips, and tried the hex adjusters.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on October 17, 2019, 18:00It pains me to resurrect a 7 year old thread, but I'm having this issue with my hardtop side clasps. Did anyone find a solution? For now I'm using folded up pieces of card between the clamp and the release latch. I'll probably "upgrade" to some zip ties but it would be nice to have it proper.

I, like others on this thread, have checked correct sides, checked rear mounting clips, and tried the hex adjusters.

What exactly, is the issue?  Not clamping tight enough?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on October 17, 2019, 18:38
Quote from: househead on October 17, 2019, 18:00It pains me to resurrect a 7 year old thread, but I'm having this issue with my hardtop side clasps. Did anyone find a solution? For now I'm using folded up pieces of card between the clamp and the release latch. I'll probably "upgrade" to some zip ties but it would be nice to have it proper.

Clamps not staying down when adjuster is made sufficiently tight. If I loosen them via the adjuster they simply aren't clamping (too loose). Tried all the range of the adjuster but the retainer clip thing at the top doesn't retain. One would think the plastic on the retainer bit has worn down but it looks fine.

My current theory is through time and use the distance between the retainer and the large clamp has stretched.

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on October 17, 2019, 19:02
Quote from: Carolyn on October 17, 2019, 18:38

Clamps not staying down when adjuster is made sufficiently tight. If I loosen them via the adjuster they simply aren't clamping (too loose). Tried all the range of the adjuster but the retainer clip thing at the top doesn't retain. One would think the plastic on the retainer bit has worn down but it looks fine.

My current theory is through time and use the distance between the retainer and the large clamp has stretched.
The retainer buttons wear.  But you shouldn't need them to make the clamp stay put.  Try a bit of sticky rubber packing in the part of the upright that catches the clamp. That should allow for an adjustment that works.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Thanks @Carolyn ill give that a go. Rubber will work better than the folded up bits of scrap paper which will almost certainly fall out when I'm thrashing it and bouncing about  >:D

BahnStormer

I've had a couple of hardtops and although the last one (sold to NVY) was perfect, the previous one (sold to James_Ly)) had the side clasps that popped up really easily - there wasn't a constant force pushing the lever part of the clasp out, but once they started too move, they'd pop open pretty easily.

The solution was simple and very reliable: thread a medium to small size cable tie through the back of the clasp, so that when the lever is pulled down, you can tighten the cable tie across the middle/lower-middle part of it and  keep it securely in place.

The force required to keep it in place was minimal, so a fairly small cable tie was perfect for the ~4 months (~4000miles of B roads) that I needed until I could get a new mohair hood.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

james_ly

Quote from: BahnStormer on October 23, 2019, 09:33I've had a couple of hardtops and although the last one (sold to NVY) was perfect, the previous one (sold to James_Ly)) had the side clasps that popped up really easily - there wasn't a constant force pushing the lever part of the clasp out, but once they started too move, they'd pop open pretty easily.

The solution was simple and very reliable: thread a medium to small size cable tie through the back of the clasp, so that when the lever is pulled down, you can tighten the cable tie across the middle/lower-middle part of it and  keep it securely in place.

The force required to keep it in place was minimal, so a fairly small cable tie was perfect for the ~4 months (~4000miles of B roads) that I needed until I could get a new mohair hood.

Yep, worked well, I had the hardtop 6 months or so, no leaks and cut the wind noise down a lot. I only cut the cable ties off when I sold the hardtop on.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

househead

I'm rocking the zip tie method now too. Everything is nice and tight and no wind whistle. Nice neat hack.

Tags: